Minnesota at Toronto

Real Deal

• 4 weeks later...

This really is a huge game for the Raptors, whcih is strange to say considering it is only the 3rd game of the season. If the Raptors drop this game there is a very good chance that they could start the season something awful like 2-7, 1-8 or even 0-9. Their schedule is just brutal to start the season and dropping those first two games, two games that were very winnable (Indiana game in particular), really hurts since wins are going to be hard to come by this month.

They really do need to take advantage of this Love and Rubio-less Wolves team.

Nice hesitation from DeRozan to freeze Kirilenko. That is what he needs to do in order to beat his guy one-on-one. He doesn't have the explosive first step so he needs to make effective use of hesitation dribbles and mix up his speed.

That was a really nice move to get by a very capable defender in AK47.

The Raptors would be completely screwed without DeRozan and Lowry tonight, which is sad to say since the Wolves are missing their 2 best players in Love and Rubio (and also lost Barea in the 2nd quarter), yet they still need fantastic games from DeMar and Lowry to even be up 4 on the short handed T'Wolves.

Combned they have 36 points, 10 rebounds, 7 assists and 6 steals on 14-20 shooting.

The rest of the team have 39 points, 13 rebounds, 7 assists and 1 steal on 16-47 sooting.

Kyle Lowry is really, really good.

Was just coming to post this. I honestly had no idea how big of a difference he was going to make. If it wasn't for him we would have been blown out in our first 2 and would have lost this one. He really is outstanding at every single part of the game. Other then his height, does he even have a weakness? And his height isn't even really a weakness considering hes leading the team in rebounds (lol).

Derozan also stepped up again tonight. The first game was an off night for him but he's played much better over the past 2. Him and Lowry are basically our entire offense right now.

Landry Fields should be very, very worried about Alan Anderson taking his minutes and starting spot.

Man, did I really just type that? The joys of being a fan of a Bryan Colangelo run team. :lol:

No kidding. Fields has absolutely no business starting in the NBA. He is just making BC look dumber and dumber every game. He just flat out sucks. Right now I'd rather Kleiza getting his minutes tbh.

Derozan also stepped up again tonight. The first game was an off night for him but he's played much better over the past 2. Him and Lowry are basically our entire offense right now.

I really don't think he was even "off" in the first game of the season. His production wasn't anywhere close to how he has these last two games, but I really don't think there was a major difference between the way he was playing. The only real gripe in the Indiana game was that he was being too aggressive and trying to force contact and get to the line. He was driving with the intention of getting fouled as opposed to scoring and the refs can see stuff like that.

Other than that, though, I don't really think he has played that differently over these last two games. He was getting the calls in the Brooklyn game that he wasn't in the Indy game and that really was the difference between those two as far as I'm concerned.

This game, though, he was definitely different. I can agree with that.

I don't think I've ever seen him as locked in defensively as he was tonight. Sure the scoring numbers were nice from him, but that is not even close to what impressed me the most from him tonight. It was the way he was playing the passing lanes, guarding his man and, my personal favourite, the way he was getting after it on the glass yet still not sacrificing transition opportunities. I absolutely loved the way he rebounded the ball tonight. It has always been something I wished DeMar did more of and he has over the first 3 games of the season.

Even though he only had 2 assists, I was also impressed by his floor game. Aside from the opening possession where he forced a contested running hook over Kirilenko, I don't really recall many shots he took that would be considered bad. When posting up he looked to attack when no second defender came and when the second defender did come he did a nice job of kicking it out and eventually the ball would find the hands of an open teammate (usually Anderson or Lowry). He may not have gotten the actual assist, but he was the key part of many plays by simply being a magnet and drawing the defense in. Last year, and even in the preseason, the ball was not coming out of his hands when he posted up so it is nice to see him making those adjustments and getting teammates open looks.

Anyone think the Raptors should give Kenyon Martin a chance? I know he's primarily a PF but I seem to remember him playing a bit of the 3. He can't be worse than Landry right? And Landry isn't playing his right positon either. And he's said he'll take the league minimum and will sign with any team that calls. Yes? No?

Anyone think the Raptors should give Kenyon Martin a chance? I know he's primarily a PF but I seem to remember him playing a bit of the 3. He can't be worse than Landry right? And Landry isn't playing his right positon either. And he's said he'll take the league minimum and will sign with any team that calls. Yes? No?

No way. We already have almost no spacing, and Ed Davis is already getting shafted for minutes. I agree the SF is obviously a glaring, glaring hole for us, but we need a guy who can shoot it. I am also unsure if Anderson is the answer moving forward. He is 6-6 at most, and I want to say he can't guard bigger 3's, but he did a sick job on George last week. We'll have to see.

I will say this, I was at the opener last week (so were you), and Fields was already getting a somewhat mixed reception. He is going to get booed by no later than 60 games, and hopefully (for his sake) he isn't a starter by then. I feel bad for the kid, its not his fault someone paid him twice what he is worth.

He was holding out for the mini exception, has that changed?

He also can't play the 3, not at his age.

Yup, he's gotten very desperate now.

The NBA season is nearly a week old, and Kenyon Martin doesn't know why he still can't find a job in the league. He helped the Los Angeles Clippers during their playoff run last season. His knee issues of the past no longer seem to trouble him. And he's even willing to take a contract for the league minimum.

"If someone calls me tomorrow, I don't care who it is, whether it's losing or winning at this point," Martin said. "If someone calls me tomorrow and wants me to come in, I'm going."

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nba--kenyon-martin-upset-he-can-t-get-nba-job-04311709.html

I wouldn't want prime Kenyon Martin playing the 3, let alone a broken down version of him.

What exactly would he provide for the team? He won't space the floor, he can't defend opposing 3's and he doesn't run the floor or move without the ball as well as Fields.

I'd love to get an upgrade over Fields so that he can go to the bench since I believe his game fits with the 2nd unit better than it does the first since there is more spacing. The floor is more spread and less congested and that opens up cutting lanes for him that aren't available with Valanciunas in the lane or DeRozan in the post. Kenyon Martin is not an upgrade, though.

If there was a trade that saw one or two of Amir, Ed or Bargnani dealt I'd be perfectly fine with signing him as an insurance 4, but nobody should consider signing him with the intention of giving him minutes at the 3.

On another note, Kyle Lowry is averaging 7.3 rebounds per game. Andrea Bargnani has grabbed 7 total rebounds in 93 minutes. :lol: