Atlanta at Oklahoma City

Especially when you have both Durant and Martin who both are far better overall offensive players than him.

Kevin Martin is not a better offensive player than him.

But I agree, with all that talent, you need to utilize it more. I do put some blame on the system Scott Brooks has implemented, too much high pick and roll/iso action, not enough players consistently getting touches on a given possession.

Kevin Martin is not a better offensive player than him.

But I agree, with all that talent, you need to utilize it more. I do put some blame on the system Scott Brooks has implemented, too much high pick and roll/iso action, not enough players consistently getting touches on a given possession.

I disagree, Martin is a better overall offensive player than him. Westbrook is a one dimensional offensive player, all he can do is attack the rim. While Martin is not only one of the best shooters in the league but can also attack the rim when played tight.

I know its only been three games but the numbers don't lie...

Kevin Martin

@ SAS - 15pts, 4-10 FGM-A, 3-6 3PM-A, 4 - 4 FTM-A

vs. POR - 19pts, 5 - 11 FGM-A, 3-3 3PM-A, 6-6 FTM-A

vs. ATL - 28pts, 8-11FGM-A, 6-8 3PM-A, 6-6 FTM-A

Russel Westbrook

@ SAS - 18pts, 6-21 FGM-A, 0-3 3PM-A, 6-8 FTM-A

vs. POR - 32pts, 13 - 24 FGM-A, 0-2 3PM-A, 6-8 FTM-A

vs. ATL - 14pts, 5-18 FGM-A, 2-6 3PM-A, 2-2 FTM-A

Now im not saying Martin is the better overall player, but i am saying that if you have to pick one for sheer offense it would be Martin hands down.

I disagree, Martin is a better overall offensive player than him. Westbrook is a one dimensional offensive player, all he can do is attack the rim. While Martin is not only one of the best shooters in the league but can also attack the rim when played tight.

I know its only been three games but the numbers don't lie...

Kevin Martin

@ SAS - 15pts, 4-10 FGM-A, 3-6 3PM-A, 4 - 4 FTM-A

vs. POR - 19pts, 5 - 11 FGM-A, 3-3 3PM-A, 6-6 FTM-A

vs. ATL - 28pts, 8-11FGM-A, 6-8 3PM-A, 6-6 FTM-A

Russel Westbrook

@ SAS - 18pts, 6-21 FGM-A, 0-3 3PM-A, 6-8 FTM-A

vs. POR - 32pts, 13 - 24 FGM-A, 0-2 3PM-A, 6-8 FTM-A

vs. ATL - 14pts, 5-18 FGM-A, 2-6 3PM-A, 2-2 FTM-A

Now im not saying Martin is the better overall player, but i am saying that if you have to pick one for sheer offense it would be Martin hands down.

I know you tried downplaying this, but sorry, it's only been 3 games. And even putting them into consideration, Martin is shooting .429 while Russ is shooting .422. Westbrook's scoring rate is much higher, he's assisting more crashing the glass more frequently, and is getting to the line more. Nothing suggests that Martin is the better offensive player.

Martin is streaky, and most of the time, is pretty inefficient. Earlier in his career he was a dead eye shooter, but since then, his FG% has plummeted.

He can still get to the line, not at the rate of Westbrook mind you, and can still create some off the dribble, but he never has, or never will, attract the defensive attention Westbrook commands on a nightly basis regardless of how awful his numbers are.

I know you tried downplaying this, but sorry, it's only been 3 games. And even putting them into consideration, Martin is shooting .429 while Russ is shooting .422. Westbrook's scoring rate is much higher, he's assisting more crashing the glass more frequently, and is getting to the line more. Nothing suggests that Martin is the better offensive player.

Martin is streaky, and most of the time, is pretty inefficient. Earlier in his career he was a dead eye shooter, but since then, his FG% has plummeted.

He can still get to the line, not at the rate of Westbrook mind you, and can still create some off the dribble, but he never has, or never will, attract the defensive attention Westbrook commands on a nightly basis regardless of how awful his numbers are.

If i wanted to down play it i wouldn't have mentioned it. Also I was talking about the scoring in particular, not taking into account assisting or rebounding, as Westbrook is clearly the better player in those categories. My bad on that should have been more clear.

With that said. Martins FG% has dropped because of the fact that he has been the only player Houston has had. He has attracted all the defensive attention and has had to face the opposing teams best defender night in and night out for the last two to three years. The attention and defenders that Westbrook hasn't faced and probably wont due to Durant and Harden/Martin now.

Free throws wise, yes, Westbrooks attacks the rim harder that anyone else in the league, but with that being said it doesnt mean he is better at getting to the line. Martin has a very quick first step getting to the rim, a great pump fake, and is a good actor, which gets him to the line just as much if not more often. There is a reason in the last full season (82 games) he was second only to Durant (by 6 ft's) at getting to the line.

Shooting wise i wont even compare because its in Martin by a landslide. Yes his % has dropped over the last few years, but it has to be taken into account that his role was also changed as he was our #1 guy on a bad Houston team. This year with not as much defensive attention, his %'s will come back up. I can only imagine how low Westbrooks %'s would be is he was a #1 option.

If i wanted to down play it i wouldn't have mentioned it. Also I was talking about the scoring in particular, not taking into account assisting or rebounding, as Westbrook is clearly the better player in those categories. My bad on that should have been more clear.

Then what the hell are you arguing over? That he's a better shooter? Fine.

And no, he's not a better scorer either. If you're simply going to cite a year in which the Rockets didn't even get into the playoffs, where he shot just over 43% (something Westbrook has eclipsed the past 2 seasons), then you're out of luck. I really don't know how else to put it. Westbrook gets to the line more frequently now, is one of the best fastbreak players in the game, one of the best finishers in the game, and commands more attention.

He led all PG's in scoring last year and is primed to do so again this year.