Golden State at Sacramento

Real Deal

• 4 weeks later...
  • Owner
http://sports.cbsimg.net/u/photos/basketball/nba/img20843434.jpg

SACRAMENTO, Calif. -- Keith Smart saw a black tarp that covered an advertisement fall from the scoreboard above center court and ran out to grab the piece of plastic while his Sacramento Kings played defense on the other end. Officials whistle the play dead, and Smart sprinted back to the bench like a running back holding a football, drawing roars from a rare sellout crowd.

While Sacramento's aging arena might be falling apart, the Kings managed to hold things together in their home opener.

DeMarcus Cousins scored 23 points and grabbed 15 rebounds, and the Kings nearly blew a 16-point lead before holding off the Golden State Warriors 94-92 on Monday night to avoid an 0-4 start.

"I saw something that was a problem, and I had to rectify that problem immediately," joked Smart, the former Warriors coach. "And I think I did a good job. I was worried about slipping, though."

Sacramento steady enough.

Cousins outworked slow-footed Andrew Bogut and every other Warriors big man to help the Kings go on a 16-0 run during the third quarter to bust open a tie game. Bogut hardly looked to be at full strength, though he again refused to make excuses, saying "I'm playing in the NBA. If you are out on the court, you are healthy."

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/gametracker/recap/NBA_20121105_GS@SAC

Bogut really struggled with Cousins in this game. Whenever Cousins took Bogut more than 10 feet away from the hoop he was getting whatever he wanted on the slower, injured Bogut. This was one of those games from Cousins wehre you think to yourself that the guy should be a top 3 center in the league if he would just grow up and focus on basketball. The guy is ridiculously skilled for his size. It is a shame that so much of that talent is probably going to go to waste unless he really changes his attitude and mindset.

Curry looked awful for Golden State. I really haven't been all that impressed with him to start the seasona side from that game against Memphis and a couple of stretches against the Clippers. He was just brutal against the Suns in the opener and I don't really have much positive to say about him last night either. I don't know if his ankle is still bothering him or what, but he just doesn't look like the same player right now. His jumper is completely off.

As far as Barnes goes, this game he was pretty much a non-factor. He had some open looks from 3 but couldn't connect and I really didn't notice him much out there. The 4 assists were nice to see and I do recall seeing him initiating the offense during the 3rd quarter, but all in all, not a whole lot to say about his performance in this one.

Ugly game, Steph just can't be off like this or the Dubs gon' be in trouble, needed more from everybody. No idea what's wrong with him at the line, but it's getting frequent.

Too many missed 3's. If you're shooting 35%, might as well stop taking outside jumpers early in the shot clock. Klay Thompson was excellent.