Houston at Memphis

• 1 month later...
  • Owner
MEMPHIS, Tenn. -- Tony Allen was determined to stop James Harden. The rest of the Memphis Grizzlies clamped down on defense, too.

Zach Randolph had 15 points and 14 rebounds, Rudy Gay finished with 21 points and a key basket with 1:03 left, and the Grizzlies won their fourth straight with a 93-85 victory over the Houston Rockets on Friday night.

Memphis' defensive pressure in the second half took the Rockets out of their game, forcing turnovers and leading Harden, who entered the night as the NBA's leading scorer at 30.3 points per game, to shoot 2 of 11 from the field and have only six points after the break.

Allen was the primary defender on Harden, acquired from Oklahoma City just before the start of the season.

"I knew he was capable of getting that 30-something number," said Allen, one of the league's premier defenders. "He's been coming out there with a vengeance. I just wanted to go out there and compete and not be one of those guys getting hit up for 30.

"I just took it as a challenge, and we had great guys step up and put fresh bodies on him."

Despite its struggles in the second half, Houston was within 87-85 in the final 2 minutes. But Memphis scored the last five points of the game, including Gay's rebound bucket with 1:03 left, to win its 13th consecutive regular-season game at home.

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/gametracker/recap/NBA_20121109_HOU@MEM