Portland at Sacramento

Real Deal

• 1 month later...
  • Owner
SACRAMENTO, Calif. -- Modest and unassuming off the court, Damian Lillard has no problem taking charge when placed in a leadership role for the Portland Trail Blazers.

The rookie point guard led the way Tuesday night in a game the Blazers needed badly for morale purposes. Lillard had 22 points and nine assists to help Portland stop a four-game losing streak with a 103-86 victory over the short-handed Sacramento Kings.

"We had lost four games, so this one was really important," Lillard said. "It felt like a game we had to win."

Even though Lillard had a strong pre-draft workout for Sacramento, Thomas Robinson was chosen by the Kings at No. 5 overall and Lillard went to Portland as the sixth pick. Nicolas Batum is grateful that Lillard was still available.

"Damian is the perfect fit for us," said Batum, who had 15 points, seven rebounds and five assists. "He knows how to play and already plays like a veteran. He scores, he passes, he attacks, and he plays defense."

Against the Kings, patience in making the right play and taking the appropriate shot were the most noticeable aspects of Lillard's game. He shot 7 of 10 from the field, including 5 of 6 on 3-pointers.

"Last game I didn't shoot the ball so well, but I took the same shots. They just fell tonight," Lillard said. "I'm really comfortable. I have to give a lot of credit to them [his teammates] for allowing me to be comfortable because they've been in the league a few years."

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/gametracker/recap/NBA_20121113_POR@SAC