Cleveland at Boston

Real Deal

• 2 months later...
  • Owner
http://sports.cbsimg.net/u/photos/basketball/nba/img21425701.jpg

BOSTON -- Paul Pierce certainly showed he has a lot more left in his game.

The 35-year old Pierce became the oldest player in Celtics history to score 40 points in a regulation game, carrying Boston to a 103-91 win over the Cleveland Cavaliers on Wednesday night.

"Oh yeah? Oh, wow. Another for the records, I guess," he said, smiling as he stood along a wall near the exit of the Celtics' locker room. "I've been here long enough. Who knows, maybe I'll go for 50 one day."

Judging by his night, anything may be possible.

Hall of Famer Larry Bird is the oldest ever to score 40 in a game, putting up 49 in a double-overtime contest when he was 35 years, 99 days old on March 15, 1992. Pierce is 32 days younger than Bird was when he reached the 40-point plateau.

The Celtics captain now has scored 23,101 points in his career and is 48 behind Elgin Baylor for 24th on the NBA's all-time list.

"When I first came into the league I always asked myself, `Do I want to be good or do I want to be great?' Pierce said. "Every time I stepped out and worked on my game, that's what I asked myself. I always got here early and worked on my craft as hard as I could because I wanted to be one of the great players."

In the first half, he scored 15 on 3-of-5 shooting from the floor, going 6 for 6 from the free-throw line.

Then in the second he showed age didn't matter.

Pierce made 10 of 11 shots from the floor after halftime, hitting his first eight -- including his initial three 3-point attempts. He finished 13 of 16 from the field.

"Maybe I can play a little bit longer than anticipated, who knows?" he said, cracking another smile.

Rajon Rondo added 20 points and eight assists for the Celtics, who snapped a three-game losing streak. Jason Terry had 15 points and Kevin Garnett 12.

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/gametracker/recap/NBA_20121219_CLE@BOS