New Orleans at Orlando

Real Deal

• 2 months later...
  • Owner
http://sports.cbsimg.net/u/photos/basketball/nba/img21456091.jpg

ORLANDO, Fla. -- The New Orleans Hornets were hoping that the way Robin Lopez has been playing recently would eventually translate into a much needed victory.

It took another nail-nibbling finish, but their patience finally paid off.

Lopez had a season-high 29 points and Greivis Vasquez scored a season-best 27 as the Hornets snapped an 11-game losing streak with a 97-94 win over the Orlando Magic on Wednesday night.

The victory was the Hornets' first since Dec. 3 and comes with guard Eric Gordon getting closer to playing for the first time this season coming off knee surgery.

"That comes from my teammates. They look for me. They're giving me looks," Lopez said of his big night. "We've been scrapping, but it's just one game. We want to string together a few."

Jameer Nelson had a season-high 28 points and 10 rebounds to lead Orlando and Nik Vucevic added 19 points.

The Magic shot above 60 percent in the first half, but fell to 45 percent for the game (36 for 79). They were able to stay in game thanks to 11 3-pointers.

Orlando has lost three straight games since starting forward Glen Davis was sidelined with a sprained left shoulder.

His absence was exploited all night by a Hornets' offense that, led by Lopez, outscored Orlando 44-38 in the paint. Rookie Anthony Davis contributed to the Magic's misery underneath with 12 points and 11 rebounds.

Hornets forward Ryan Anderson, traded by Orlando in the offseason, didn't shoot well (4 for 11) but finished with 15 points.

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/gametracker/recap/NBA_20121226_NO@ORL