New Orleans at Dallas

Real Deal

• 2 months later...
http://sports.cbsimg.net/u/photos/basketball/nba/img21504229.jpg

DALLAS -- Having Dirk Nowitzki back in the starting lineup was a significant step for the Dallas Mavericks.

Eric Gordon's first start of the season for New Orleans had a much better ending.

Gordon, who like Nowitzki missed time recovering from arthroscopic knee surgery, completed a three-point play with 4.7 seconds left in overtime Saturday, lifting the Hornets to a 99-96 victory.

Though Gordon was 4-of-13 shooting in only his third game this season, he made the biggest basket of the night on a bank shot from the top of the circle after he got Darren Collison in the air and drew the foul. He then sank the free throw.

"On that last one, I was starting to feel it a little bit.. I kept on playing and taking jump shots," Gordon said. "It's definitely a confidence booster to do well in overtime, especially for such a tough shooting night, it felt good to overcome it."

After a timeout, O.J. Mayo was beyond the 3-point line when Gordon went up the air and by him. Gordon's foot made contact with the ball, knocking it loose. Instead of a foul, officials called it a kicked ball. Dallas got one more chance but Vince Carter's shot from the right corner ricocheted off the rim.

Soon after the game, Mavericks owner Mark Cuban tweeted: "Im sorry NBA fans. Ive tried for 13 yrs to fix the officiating in this league and I have failed miserably. Any Suggestions? I need help."

Nowitzki had a team-high 20 points on 7-of-16 shooting in 34 minutes, his most extensive action this season. He missed a free throw with 18 seconds left in regulation that would have put the Mavericks ahead by a point.

"Obviously, I'm not quite there yet, it's still a work in progress, especially playing 30 minutes and then being asked to get the ball down the stretch every time and make something happen, I don't think I'm at that point yet," Nowitzki said. "But I'm going to keep working on going in the right direction and turn it around, pull some of those close games out and get some of those wins."

Greivis Vasquez had 15 of his 25 points in the fourth quarter for the Hornets, but missed a final shot at the end of regulation. Vasquez also had nine assists.

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/gametracker/recap/NBA_20130105_NO@DAL