Stackhouse wants to be a coach under Avery Johnson

Sħãlïq™

Jerry Stackhouse is training to become a coach under Avery Johnson

Whatever Jerry Stackhouse has left on the court is gravy. For this season and perhaps beyond, his greater responsibility is teaching. The veteran guard said Monday he plans on assuming the role of a player/coach this season, with hopes of establishing a career on the bench under the familiar tutelage of Avery Johnson. It’s no wonder the Nets didn’t hire another assistant coach.

“I never thought I’d want to coach, but now I kind of want to transition into that, kind of learning from (Johnson),” Stackhouse said. “I know he’ll allow me to assume some of the responsibilities this year. I think a lot of coaches would be threatened by that, but he’s comfortable enough to let me earn my way while I’m playing. It’s kind of an ideal situation for me. Hopefully I can grow with this group past my actual playing days."

Stackhouse, who’ll turn 38 in March, signed a one-year deal this summer with the Nets, his eighth team in an 18-year career. He played under Johnson for four years in Dallas, and plotted on a reunion after Johnson was hired by Mikhail Prokhorov. But the Nets were terrible for two years, so Stackhouse waited for a situation more suitable.

“I had been talking to Avery and talking to Billy over the last couple years behind the scenes. They knew they weren’t ready to compete,” Stackhouse said. “But they felt like when they were ready to compete, I’d be a guy that comes in and be a stabilizing force.

Full Story