Who Makes Their First All-Star Team This Season?

Built Ford Tough

Over the past few seasons we've seen quite a changing of the guard when it comes to All-Star selections. With perennial All-Stars like Yao Ming, Tracy McGrady, Vince Carter, Allen Iverson, Jason Kidd, Chauncey Billups and Shaquille O'Neal all either retired, out of the league or no longer playing at a high level, it has opened up a lot of spots for some new blood in the All-Star games.

In 2010 a total of 9 players made their All-Star game debut (Deron Williams, Gerald Wallace, Al Horford, David Lee, Kevin Durant, Chris Kaman, Zach Randolph, Derrick Rose and Rajon Rondo)

In 2011 3 more players popped their All-Star game cherry (Russell Westbrook, Blake Griffin and Kevin Love)

Last year 6 players were first time All-Stars (Andrew Bynum, Marc Gasol, Roy Hibbert, Luol Deng, Andre Iguodala and LaMacrus Aldridge)

So, as you can see, that is a total of 18 players in the last 3 seasons who've made the All-Star game for the first time in their careers.

Who do you see joining that list and making their first appearance in the game?

• Owner

I have a feeling Atlanta will dangle Josh Smith out there, as trade bait, before the deadline...and he'll get a taste of those rumors very early, realize he's not staying in Atlanta, and may not put out enough to land that All-Star spot. Could be the opposite, if he really wants to stay, but I don't know.

Wall makes sense, but the Wizards have to win games.

Lawson is going to play for a new contract, and he now has Iguodala as a teammate (and Iggy has been facilitating for quite some time now, so the load will be lifted a bit), so I'd stick him on this list.

Will anyone be surprised if Anthony Davis gets in? I know the fans will vote for him, and Howard will take the starting center spot...but will his defense land him a spot, despite the Hornets' record, and will the coaches be swayed by the fan vote?

What about Jeremy Lin?

I'm not saying tha this play will warrant him being named an All-Star, but what do you think the chances of him getting voted in by the fans are? Given how insane the whole "Linsanity" thing was last season and now with him joining Houston who has a large following in China. Yes, I realize Lin isn't Chinese but his Taiwanese ethnicity could certainly play a part in the Chinese fans voting him in.

• Owner

What about Jeremy Lin?

I'm not saying tha this play will warrant him being named an All-Star, but what do you think the chances of him getting voted in by the fans are? Given how insane the whole "Linsanity" thing was last season and now with him joining Houston who has a large following in China. Yes, I realize Lin isn't Chinese but his Taiwanese ethnicity could certainly play a part in the Chinese fans voting him in.

Yao Ming was the MJ of China, so of course the two are on different planets when it comes to that...and in the process, most NBA fans are going to hand all of their votes to CP3, Westbrook and Nash (who I forgot about when mentioning Lawson...could be hard for him to get in now).

When Yao was playing, he was a top two center in the NBA, and even I was voting for him. When he racked up all of those votes, despite the injury, he was already established and the clear-cut best center out West, when healthy, so I think it was a statement sent his way, ultimately.

If Lin can have a full NBA season resembling the chunk he had back in New York, maybe dialing down on the turnovers even a hair, then he's got a huge chance.

I have a feeling Atlanta will dangle Josh Smith out there, as trade bait, before the deadline...and he'll get a taste of those rumors very early, realize he's not staying in Atlanta, and may not put out enough to land that All-Star spot. Could be the opposite, if he really wants to stay, but I don't know.

Wall makes sense, but the Wizards have to win games.

Lawson is going to play for a new contract, and he now has Iguodala as a teammate (and Iggy has been facilitating for quite some time now, so the load will be lifted a bit), so I'd stick him on this list.

Will anyone be surprised if Anthony Davis gets in? I know the fans will vote for him, and Howard will take the starting center spot...but will his defense land him a spot, despite the Hornets' record, and will the coaches be swayed by the fan vote?

i agree wholeheartedly. davis and lawson could make statements as well.

What about Jeremy Lin?

Yeah Lin went to China over the offseason and its safe to say that he was pretty huge over there. Doubtful he will deserve it but he's got a good chance to make the All-Star Game as one of the reserves if he can put together a solid season. McHale has to have Lin in attack mode though, I haven't watched a whole lot of the preseason but from what I've seen it felt like Jeremy was being held back and playing much more conservative as opposed to his days in New York. It might be just because its preseason that the Rockets are utilizing him like that but either way hopefully he's given more freedom once the season starts and the team makes more use of the high pick and roll with him and Asik (nonexistent in the preseason).

I've been high on Paul George since last season. I just love his versatility offensively, and defensively he's already one of the better perimeter defenders in the league. I could see him getting the nod over Joe Johnson.

I like him as a sleeper choice. But defensively, he struggled quite a bit due to his excessive foul rate, I really don't understand how he got the reputation of being a premier defender already. He plays the passing lanes well, but everything else is a work in progress.

PG just established a role on offense last year, after looking completely lost at times in his rookie year. His ball handle is still very poor right now, which limits him on offense. He can't create off the dribble, that takes away from that supreme athleticism he possesses.

This is a huge year for him because of the way this Pacers team is constructed. You look at all their top players, West being a pick and pop threat, Granger being the catch and shoot guy, and Hibbert being the anchor, none of them are able to go one on one and consistently attack a defense. If George makes that leap like you think he will, not only will he be the face of the franchise like he's expected to be, he could easily fill up the stat sheet. But if this is another average year for him, questions will emanate.

(...) I'm not saying tha this play will warrant him being named an All-Star, but what do you think the chances of him getting voted in by the fans are? Given how insane the whole "Linsanity" thing was last season and now with him joining Houston who has a large following in China. Yes, I realize Lin isn't Chinese but his Taiwanese ethnicity could certainly play a part in the Chinese fans voting him in.

Taiwanese hate Chinese, and vice versa. Not saying there'll be zero Chinese votes for J-Lin, just pointing out Taiwan doesn't exactly love China.

Edited by Sħãlïq