Breaking: David Stern stepping down in 2014

Real Deal

• Owner
David Stern will step down as NBA commissioner on Feb. 1, 2014, league sources told Yahoo! Sports.

Deputy commissioner Adam Silver will replace Stern.

Stern sent an email to key NBA executives that he's retiring, and that the Board of Governors has picked Silver to replace him.

"The Board has selected Adam Silver to succeed me as NBA Commissioner, and I am very pleased with their choice," Stern said in the email. "As you know, Adam is a world-class business executive who has influenced so many areas of our business during his 20-year tenure with the league, from television, to digital, to international, to merchandising, to sponsorships, to team business, to, of course, labor negotiations. I know that the organization will be in very good hands when Adam becomes Commissioner.

"What we have achieved together and will continue to achieve is extraordinary – and we will have 15 months to talk about it."

Stern, 70, began working with the NBA in 1966 as an outside counsel. He became commissioner in 1984.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nba--sources--david-stern-stepping-down-feb--1--2014-25361209.html

• Owner

I know people bust Stern's ass all the time, especially the Lakers fans after that veto...but I'm going to look past that incident and say that he has done a pretty damn good job.

You don't have to agree with everything the man has done, but just look at what baseball and football has gone through over the years (massive steroid scandal, bounty, etc). And he's been at the helm since 1984, which is crazy.

Yes he has made some decisions that many fans haven't been a fan of, but at the end he has done that for the game. Even with the Lakers trade veto, that was a move he was hated for but it was the correct move as a more beneficial trade was done for NO.

Overall he has done an exceptional job as our game is more popular today than it has ever been before, nationally and internationally. Stiver has big shoes to fill.

Edited by ChosenOne