Who'll win sixth man of the year?

The Regime

James Harden was the favorite heading into this season but assuming that he starts, which he probably will, who then becomes the frontrunner for the award? Is there a clear cut favorite?

Some viable candidates off the top of my head are Manu Ginobli, Lou Williams, Jason Terry, and Ray Allen.

Jason Terry not starting for Celtics?

Nope.

I believe Courtney Lee will be starting to begin the season and then there is a good chance that Avery Bradley will take over when he comes back from injury, although that isn't expected to be until January so who knows what may happen between now and then.

Terry will most definitely be coming off the bench, though.

Rather than throw out the usual names (Manu, Terry, Lou Will, etc...) I'll add Macrus Thornton and Ben Gordon. Gordon in particular could be in for a very big year playing for the offensively challenged Bobcats. There really aren't many players on that roster who are capable of scoring so Gordon will be putting up a lot of shots for them.

Although both of them would be hard pressed to win the award unless they put up absolutely gaudy numbers. Has anybody ever won the award on a non-playoff team other than Dell Curry (and the Hornets were .500 that year, which I think we can all agree the Kings and Bobcats won't come close to).

Oh yeah, what about Harden's replacement in Kevin Martin? If he has a bounce back year he can definitely contend for the award.

I think Jason Terry will play well with Rondo so I'll take him.

One thing that makes me hesitant to pick Terry is the fact that Boston is so deep. Terry is probably a top 3 bench player in the league, no question about it, but the Celtics are also going to have Jeff Green, Avery Bradley/Courtney Lee (when Bradley returns), Jared Sullinger and Leandro Barbosa (I don't like him, but he will jack up shots if he gets minutes) all off the bench and I could see it being more of a score by committee thing as opposed to one guy being the focal point of the bench.

Add to that Terry getting a lot of minutes with the starters and I question if he is going to have enough shots to really put up numbers that will make it tough to ignore other players (Lou Will comes to mind) who'll likely have more appealing stats. His impact on the team will be large, but I just don't know if that will be enough to win the award since we know how stat heavy these awards can be.

One thing that makes me hesitant to pick Terry is the fact that Boston is so deep. Terry is probably a top 3 bench player in the league, no question about it, but the Celtics are also going to have Jeff Green, Avery Bradley/Courtney Lee (when Bradley returns), Jared Sullinger and Leandro Barbosa (I don't like him, but he will jack up shots if he gets minutes) all off the bench and I could see it being more of a score by committee thing as opposed to one guy being the focal point of the bench.

Add to that Terry getting a lot of minutes with the starters and I question if he is going to have enough shots to really put up numbers that will make it tough to ignore other players (Lou Will comes to mind) who'll likely have more appealing stats. His impact on the team will be large, but I just don't know if that will be enough to win the award since we know how stat heavy these awards can be.

I agree with everything you said but I think Doc will have a consistent rotation going. I'm pretty sure Courtney Lee will be starting, Jeff Green will be backing up Pierce, Avery Bradley or Barbosa backing up Rondo at PG which means Terry will plenty of minutes because he'll be right behind Courtney Lee. I really don't see Barbosa getting into that rotation unless an injury occurs which is pretty likely. Terry should have more than enough shots to contribute and win this award imo.