NCAA Rules Shabazz Muhammad Ineligible

Built Ford Tough

UCLA released a statement on Friday evening, just an hour before the Bruins tipped-off with Indiana State, that five-star forward Shabazz Muhammad has been ruled ineligible by the NCAA.

"The NCAA has finally determined that a violation of the NCAA amateurism rules has occurred involving UCLA freshman guard Shabazz Muhammad and his family. As a result, he is ineligible for competition at this time. We are extremely disappointed that the NCAA has made this determination.

"The University and our compliance staff have fully cooperated with the NCAA throughout this entire period, and we believe the decision is incorrect and unjust to Shabazz. UCLA will expeditiously pursue its options to challenge this determination. When a final resolution has been reached by the NCAA, we will swiftly communicate the news to the entire Bruin family."

UPDATE: The NCAA released a statement regarding Muhammad's eligibility as well. Here it is:

"UCLA student-athlete Shabazz Muhammad is not eligible to compete in tonight's game due to violations of NCAA amateurism rules. In addition to other pending issues, Muhammad accepted travel and lodging during three unofficial visits to two NCAA member schools.

http://ucla.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1434082

I don't know the exact specifics of what made Muhammad ruled ineligible, but I really do hate the way NCAA makes millions and millions of dollars off of these kids but they get ruled ineligible for accepting a pair of shoes.

I love college basketball, March Madness is one of my top 3 favourite sporting times of the year, but part of me would like to see a bunch of these top recurits decide to screw the NCAA and head over to Europe for a year.

Now, if he was given something big like a car or a large sum of money, sure, I can get on board with this since that isn't fair and a line needs to be drawn somewhere. Knowing the NCAA and their stingy rules, I'm skeptical that is the case, though.