Mike D'Antoni : Coach of the Lakers

Zolor23

Source: Mike D'Antoni will be the next coach of the Lakers. Not Phil Jackson.

Mike D'Antoni signed a four-year deal with the Lakers. Phil Jackson was "asking for the moon," accoring to source familiar w/ the situation.

@Mike_Bresnahan

He is a Lakers beat writer for the Los Angeles Times.

Also confirmed by J.A Adande.

Source confirms the same to me RT @Mike_Bresnahan: Source: Mike D'Antoni will be the next coach of the Lakers. Not Phil Jackson

Kobe made it clear he wanted Phil, but said after game tonight that he let Lakers know he was fine with D'Antoni.
Edited by Zolor23

Well he has Dwight who has won multiple DPOYs, Gasol who might be soft as [expletive] but still is 7 feet tall, Artest who still is an elite defender, Kobe who just like Artest can still lock down when asked to do so, and then the only weakness in Nash who atleast can stand infront of his guy.

No reason why he shouldn't have a GREAT defensive and offensive team here. We better not hear any from the Lakers now.

• Owner

Wanted Jackson or Sloan...but I doubt Sloan would have done that well with the egos (D-Will sent him into retirement), and Phil wanted a lot of money + a large role in upper management, and I'm sure the Lakers didn't want to go that far.

D'Antoni COULD be okay here. I just hope he doesn't push this team to death out there on the floor, and I hope he doesn't center this offense around Nash.

We might be screwed back on defense, though. We need a defensive assistant.

http://content.screencast.com/users/sayak2/folders/Snagit/media/9e5fc636-1cfe-4422-8fab-916f6fc8e43f/11.12.2012-19.24.06.png

I wonder if Gasol will be dealt now. D'Antoni does not care much for big man post-ups, and that Josh Smith rumor is still out there.

Not the best coach but instead of maximizing pau under mike brown,. We're maximizing Dwight n Nash. Kobe can and will always call for the ball in the post or triple threat position. The bench should thrive better under Pringle ball, too compared to what mike brown was doing.

I'm not really excited since I was set on Phil, but at least this team will be fun to watch. MDA has something to prove in the playoffs though

• Owner

Lakers and Phil both say contract demands overblown, Lakeshow thought triangle too similar to Princeton and not a fit. Chose D'Antoni without waiting for an answer from Phil. Interesting.

Just talk. LA is going to come out of this doing what they can to not make Phil out to be the bad guy (Jeanie wouldn't have that). Wasn't just the contract...Phil wanted too much. We can't have him coaching only our home games, and Mitch Kupchak is the only guy that should be making GM-esque decisions with this roster. Phil wanted the Pat Riley role.

All of that has been repeated over and over again these last few days, but now that the deal fell through, the Buss family isn't going to cite those particular things as the reason(s). It will be health, or that Phil was undecided, or that the triangle won't work (it would).

I bet Chris Duhon is ecstatic right about now.

D'Antoni wasn't the best option out there, but I don't think he'll do a terrible job. In close games during the playoffs I'd be a little concerned having him coaching, though.

I like it, brings major passion and offensive flow. We have to be like Oregon on offense

Yeah except Oregon has players who can sprint/run up and down. LA has two in Nash and Howard.

I really hope he doesn't plan on running these guys like he ran the Suns or Knicks. This LA team won't last a month. He needs to make this team very efficient in the half court, not run and gun.

Ok, so I've always liked Mike D'Antoni and I think he's a good coach. I really do. Things didn't work out in N.Y. mostly because he was forced to give up a lot of the guys he helped draft (ex. Gallo) and forced to take on Carmelo when it didn't fit his vision for the team.

No one, including me have any idea how D'antoni will do in LA. I really don't. My brain tells me he's a good coach and can succeed with this roster, but my gut tells me he'll be considered a failure for the Lakers a year or two down the road.

I'll leave you with this...

The Knicks are 22-6 (reg. season) since Mike Woodson took over. D'Antoni was well under .500 when he resigned.

i like this signing. lakers were already struggling grasping the princeton offense, even with training camp. only kobe/pau/metta and possibly blake are familiar with the triangle. i never understood how phil could just come in with an entire roster oblivious to the triangle offense, with no training camp, and expect the team to succeed with such a complex system. this is also not taking into account all the demands he made. not to mention his last season here he was completely out coached by rick carlisle in the playoffs. i love phil and everything he did for the team but i honestly think he's done at this point, he has enough money and has 11 championships. just enjoy retirement.

PS: after witnessing mike brown, id be happy with pretty much anyone, including bernie bickerstaff lol

Edited by The Artesticle

Can't stand all these erroneous proclamations stating that D'Antoni doesn't coach defense. His PHX teams were ranked around the league average, and with Dwight, it could only get better from there.

And don't tell me his offenses don't work in the playoffs either.

This is a solid hiring, one of the brightest offensive minds we've ever seen in this league is joining a star studded team. Sure there are some questions regarding floor spacing, Nash's injury concerns, and their lack of depth at the PG position, but don't overreact to not getting Phil Jackson.

Can't stand all these erroneous proclamations stating that D'Antoni doesn't coach defense. His PHX teams were ranked around the league average, and with Dwight, it could only get better from there.

He doesn't, in the book 7 seconds or less, that writer says D'antoni would go weeks at a time without even mentioning defense, man does not coach defense

Edited by fish7718

He doesn't, in the book 7 seconds or less, that writer says D'antoni would go weeks at a time without even mentioning defense, man does not coach defense

If that leads to defenses being around league average and winning 55+ games, I'm all for it.

They have a 3 time DPOY on the floor, D'Antoni has never came close to coaching that.