Miami's lack of defense

Real Deal

• Owner

Anyone noticing it yet?

2nd in Offensive Rating (points per 100 possessions)

28th in Defensive Rating (points allowed per 100 possessions)

Here are a few more defensive rankings for the Heat...

22nd in allowed FG% (44.8%)

28th in allowed 3PT% (39.4%)

23rd in allowed FTA

24th in allowed rebounds

27th in allowed assists

11th in steals

12th in blocks

28th in allowed PPG

Last year's rankings...

4th in Defensive Rating

5th in allowed FG% (43.4%)

26th in allowed 3PT% (36.3%)

12th in allowed FTA

1st in allowed rebounds

8th in allowed assists

3rd in steals

10th in blocks

4th in allowed PPG

Is it fair to say that Ray Allen and Rashard Lewis are a big chunk of this team's issues back on the defensive end? How much blame can be shifted over to Dwyane Wade?

Can Miami even get to the Finals playing defense like this?

Sorry, bro, but this has been addressed already.

After last year, I kinda realize that the regular season means nothing to this team. They mailed it in completely

the regular season doesn't mean shit to elite teams.

You're such a butthurt, frustrated Laker fan right now.

• Like 2

I notice it...I hope we have a magic switch we can flip on, cause if not we are screwed. At least our offense is capable of outscoring the other team if their defense sucks as much as ours does.

I really think they're coasting.

Don't forget they had a long season last year and then their best two players played over the summer

Don't be jealous because we can coast and the Lakers can't :glasses:

Oh, I went there

They are definitely coasting, but that doesn't mean these numbers aren't concerning. The perimeter defense seems brutal at times when I watch, guys get into the paint at will, and that not only is a concern since Bosh isn't really a rim protector, but it is causing the defense to collapse, and right now their opponents are hitting those open 3's. I am honestly surprised that Miami's opponent 3P% was so bad last year.

I still don't like this whole small ball philosophy; at least for anything beyond extended stretches. You can get away with it when Tyson Chandler is your 5, but Chris Bosh? I don't know... Yes, I get it, LeBron's numbers are good as a 4 (calling him a 4 is a huge insult to Battier by the way, who is usually the one with the responsibility of actually defending opposing teams 4's), and the Heat won the title last year, but I just don't like it long-term moving forward. I don't have substantial reason really, I just don't like it. We've already seen what a big team like Memphis, whose bigs can make that pass out of the paint, can do to Miami when their guards are hitting those open 3's. I don't care if LeBron is getting you 10 boards a game, the Heat are bottom 5 on the offensive glass because their center stands 15 feet from the hoop and their supposed power forward isn't actually a power forward, and their defensive rebound rate is right in the middle of the pack.

Blaming Allen is also bullshit. Is he a great defender? Not even close, but Wade is literally a huge minus at times on defense, especially in transition. Its frustrating for me to watch, I can only imagine how Miami fans feel (probably don't even notice). Couple that with his brutal shot selection and ball stopping at times, he can be a minus on the court when his shot isn't falling, which is ridiculous for a player like Wade. I think we can expect Wade to turn it up 10 notches defensively in the playoffs, but that's bullshit to me. You don't have to play your nuts off, but give the effort.

Overall I think the main problem is that only 1 guy cares right now (or is playing like it), and its the best player in the league.

• Owner

Wade may turn it up in the playoffs, but Miami was lucky to have HCA last season, also. They didn't have to go four on the road in any series out East, and I think that Chicago would have toppled them if Rose was healthy (especially considering Bosh's injury, missing games up to Game 6 of the ECF's).

This year, it's a bit different. Wade isn't the same, and it's clear. Haslem isn't contributing much...didn't shoot well last year, but at least he rebounded the ball and played defense.

LeBron does seem like the only one that wants it, but Bosh isn't playing THAT bad. He's just not a defensive player, and never will be.

I know the Lakers aren't looking great right now, but they did hold the Spurs to 84 points and 39% FG...all without a defensive system in place, and Bickerstaff as the coach. It's still November. I can't really see the Thunder beating Miami in a rematch, but a team like the Lakers can get it done, especially considering the fact that Miami has trouble with true big men AND doesn't defend the three well at all. We aren't a stellar three-point shooting team...yet...because we don't get open right now. I'm going to guess that will change, though.

And, even then, there's a Chicago team that is still playing decent basketball...top ten defensively right now, and I believe 12th back on offense (which is shocking, without Rose), and pending injuries, Boston can only get better.

Repeating is difficult. Since 1990, only the Bulls and Lakers have done it...both coached by Phil Jackson, both legendary dynasties. With that considered, but more importantly, seeing how this team is playing defense and how much older Wade looks as he's coming off that surgery, it's hard to imagine a scenario where we can basically say Miami are the favorites.

Allen's actually been surprisingly good defensively, and Lewis hasn't been a huge problem.

The issue is simple...effort. It's manifesting itself in very late, or non-existent rotations. They've always had trouble defending the 3 ball (at least in the regular season), but that's because their whole gameplan is to defend the rim. They don't do it with a natural shot-blocking anchor, but with sharp rotations ala the Celtics, and those rotations also lead to turnovers with Wade/James/Chalmers anticipating plays. This year, though, they've been very late on rotations to the rim, so now not only are they getting killed from 3, but they are also giving up easy paint attempts as well. And since teams are slashing them up, it's led to less forced turnovers, and without Joel Anthony getting any minutes (besides being a human victory cigar in blowouts), they don't have much to defend players when they get that close to the rim.

Wade has been lazy and late on closeouts, and LeBron has been giving up on plays once he is beat. He's had a ton of chasedown opportunities that normally he would spike into the 3rd row, but this year he's been letting them go. Also like Wade, been slow and lazy with closeouts. Those are the two anchors of the defense, so once they decide to turn it on, everything will fall into place.

Besides, this is a Riley team. They won't get away being this lazy on defense much longer.

Lol @ people in panic mode over the Heat defense. We're 9-3 and the defense has already been improving as of late.

And to the trade Wade crowd. 28 on 11-21 shooting last night with some huge baskets down the stretch. Also held Monta Ellis to 9 points. Not too shabby.

Edited by Flash

Lol @ people in panic mode over the Heat defense. We're 9-3 and the defense has already been improving as of late.

And to the trade Wade crowd. 28 on 11-21 shooting last night with some huge baskets down the stretch. Also held Monta Ellis to 9 points. Not too shabby.

lol @ you ignoring the heisman thread.