Asik, most improved?

45% from the field. Lulz. He has barely been a difference maker so far this year. He is basically a neutral on the court. The fact the defense is only marginally better with him on the floor opposed to off is alarming considering he is supposed to be an anchor defensively.

Good rebounder though, i'll give him that much. Everyone can use a reggie evans type.

45% from the field. Lulz. He has barely been a difference maker so far this year. He is basically a neutral on the court. The fact the defense is only marginally better with him on the floor opposed to off is alarming considering he is supposed to be an anchor defensively.

Good rebounder though, i'll give him that much. Everyone can use a reggie evans type.

Clearly doesnt watch Rockets games

• Like 1

Asik can do better as he gets more comfortable defensively and as he figures out Lin's and Harden's pick and rolls better. I'd say, yeah he's one of the early candidates. Btw, he's always been a good rebounder with limited minutes, and if we're looking at good bench players who are getting bigger roles, maybe Harden gets a vote.

I''d look at Varejao and Jrue Holiday, too. Even though I haven't seen them play this season, their numbers are looking impressive.

All his numbers are up across the board from last season. +6.9 ppg, +2.2 rpg, +1.7 apg, +1.5 spg. I agree that his play is a little sporadic at times, and he takes some wild shots but you can't overlook his production.

He's easily the most inconsistent guy on the team, shows up on d some days, other days he's a liability, he's still not nearly aggressive enough, plus he's French.

• Like 1

Right now Asik would be second on my list behind of OJ Mayo, but its still early and both sides need to get more comfortable. Mayo getting Dirk back might hurt his numbers also as he would get less touches. Asik IMO really needs to finish better around the rim. I feel for him to with MIP his numbers need to be at 14-15ppg 13rpg and atleast 2bpg. At least that's what I want out of him (the points would be there right now if he didn't miss so many damn layups).

Edited by ChosenOne

It is surprising that Kemba Walker is being shoved aside. Beside the fact that mayo's production is blatantly unsustainable, Kemba has simply been the better player - better penetration, better passer, better rebounder, better just about everything except 3 point shooter. his usage is the same as last year, and he is producing despite the fact his 3 point shot isn't falling. While on the other hand, Mayo's production is pretty much the same, if not worse, but he is scoring at a clip that is not going to stay the same.

what it comes down to, is which guys production is more sustainable? It has to be kemba to this point. If Mayo shoots 60% from 3 all year, well then yeah, hand him the award. I'll take the odds and say his percentage comes down to a still very good 40% or so, and considering nearly half his attempts our 3's, its pretty safe to say his scoring, about all he is doing right now, is going to go down. Kemba's production is likely to take a hit too, he probably won't shoot 48% on long 2's all year, but he is taking 6.6 shots at the rim (Mayo is taking 2.8) and making them at a near 60% rate, opposed to 49% last year. At the same time, his 3 point shooting likely won't stay at 20% all year either. I don't like giving the award to a sophomore, but the way he is playing so far this year is pretty hard to ignore. I really hope he keeps it up, for the sake of that franchise.

Also saying Asik deserves MIP is like saying Harden does. Just because your minutes go up doesn't mean you are a better player, it just means you are getting a chance. Asik is the same player he was last year, his rebounding rate is top notch I give him that, but this award goes to someone who makes big steps in their game, not someone who just gets more minutes. I don't think me watching the games is an issue (seen him plenty), we know what he is, and he is the same player, for the most part, that he was last year. I like Asik, but he does not deserve this award.

Also another cool stat. Mayo's scores are assisted on 57.6% of the time. Kemba so far is at 24.5%. Its pretty cool how Kemba is producing considering he has so little help offensively.

Edited by Check my Stats
  • Like 2

• Owner

Well, we're not even 10 games in with either of these guys, so predictions are going to fall on current production.

I wouldn't say Walker doesn't have much help from his teammates. Charlotte has six guys scoring in double figures, compared to Dallas' five. It would be a little different if Dallas had Dirk.

So, of course, by the end of the season (when Dirk returns), Walker will probably be ahead of Mayo in any discussion because of that factor, but at this very moment, Kemba is in his second NBA season, coming off of a team that had 66 games and no offseason, worst winning percentage ever. Mayo started to struggle back in 2010, first gradually losing his starting role to being strictly a bench player, shooting 40% in two consecutive seasons. The 9% jump in shooting, despite the heavily-increased role, is what stands out...especially considering the fact that he's putting up nearly six threes a game, already shooting around 30% of the threes he shot last season...in just these first nine games.

Again, I'm sure Kemba will be considered before Mayo when April comes around...but we're only 2-3 weeks into the season, so not even that is certain. No reason not to judge both players on their production today.

You were saying?

Still doesn't change that he's inconsistent as hell. Plus you obviously didn't notice that while leading in scoring he also leads in TO's this game. Where were you last game against the kings when he had like 15 points and shot 2-8 from 3? Like I said inconsistent. Not saying he's not good just very inconsistent.

• 2 weeks later...