Jack Taylor drops 138 points

The Regime

Jack Taylor, a 5-foot-10 sophomore, set a single-game scoring record for any level of college basketball Tuesday night when he erupted for an unimaginable 138 points in Grinnell's 179-104 rout of Faith Baptist Bible. That easily eclipsed the Division I-record 100 points set by Furman's Frank Selvy against Newberry College in 1954 or the 113 points Rio Grande's Clarence "Bevo" Francis scored against Hillsdale College the same season.

Of the 136 field-goal attempts Grinnell had in the game, Taylor attempted 108 of them, making a respectable 52. He sank 25 of 37 shots from inside the arc, 27 of 71 3-pointers and 7 of 10 free throws to get to 138 points.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaab-the-dagger/grinnell-college-guard-shatters-scoring-record-138-points-035513170--ncaab.html

D-III Player’s 138 Point-Game Is A Sham Record And Shouldn’t Be Celebrated By Anyone

Jack Taylor, of the Grinnell College Pioneers, scored 138 points in a game last night, against Faith Baptist Bible College. It's a mindblowing number, shattering the old NCAA mark of 113, and it's being trumpeted as one of sports' all-time individual achievements. It is not. It is bullshit. It is just the latest incarnation of Grinnell's decades-old strategy of seeking media attention for records achieved through a complete bastardization of basketball.

David Arseneault is the man behind the plan. Since becoming Grinnell coach in 1989, Arseneault has focused less on putting together a successful team and more on getting his players' names in the record books. And, not incidentally, selling books and videos touting his innovative "system." At least three separate times a Grinnell player has set the D-III single-game scoring record, and each one has gotten national attention. In 1998, Jeff Clement went for 77 points, and received a story in Sports Illustrated. Last season Griffin Lentsch scored 89 points, and got a feature on ESPN.com. Today, Taylor's 138-point game is everywhere.

http://deadspin.com/5962514/?utm_campaign=socialflow_deadspin_twitter&utm_source=deadspin_twitter&utm_medium=socialflow

I guess its cool that he dropped that many points, but if any player with some decent amount of talent played a shitty team and shot 70 three pointers and never passed the ball, they could do it too.

If I was his teamate, I would be pissed. I don't care how good you are, you should never take that many shots in a game. Can't believe people are actually praising him. I know it's difficult to score this many points but I'm sure a lot of others players could too with that many damn shots.

lol @ prodigy his teammates knew about it and wanted him to break the record, maybe you should read everyone once in while before randomly dropping your opinion.

The box score is hilarious, 2 guys got 2 pts and 15 TO's on the other team

Jack had 6 TO's 0 Assists

there's all sorts of nuggets on there

• Owner

1) Ran up the score on a horrible defensive team that is now 0-5 (score of 179-104).

2) Shot the ball every 20 seconds (36 minutes, 108 shots).

3) His team has been trying to get him to score 100+ in a game (89 points in one last year).

4) Taylor's team wasn't playing much defense, either...because they allowed a guy to score 70 on them in the same game (with no threes) in a 40-minute game.

I'm sort of impressed (because he made 27 threes), but sad that this has to go into the record books, because he basically had his coach and teammates rallying to help him get this record, and even when the game was out of reach, it continued.

It's also D3. Most NBA players could go into a D3 game and score 100 or more, if everyone on their team wanted it...let's just stick that out there.

I would slap my teammate in the face if he ignored me and took 71 threes in a game.

3) His team has been trying to get him to score 100+ in a game (89 points in one last year).

4) Taylor's team wasn't playing much defense, either...because they allowed a guy to score 70 on them in the same game (with no threes) in a 40-minute game.

Dude read the link I posted above.. he didn't cross into the defensive zone, they played 4 on 5 on D so that the other team would score quickly and they'd get more chances to let Taylor jack 3's.