Kobe's defensive numbers

Real Deal

• Owner

I know it's a bit early in the season, but I'm noticing that his allowed PER and allowed FG% are pretty low.

44% allowed FG%

9.8 allowed PER

I also understand that it helps having Dwight, but that's really all part of the game, too. Nobody considered who was up front for Boston (Garnett and Perkins) when Tony Allen was playing the defense he did, or that LeBron had a decent defensive team around him as well.

Honestly, those are some of the lowest numbers I've seen from any starter-level player since I've been using 82games.com. LeBron, last season, logged 46.4% allowed FG%, and a 10.6 allowed PER, and was nearly DPOY.

Right now, LA is nearly a top 10 defense in the league, despite having Gasol, Jamison, and Morris all playing big minutes...with Meeks off the bench, also. None of them playing defense, especially Gasol and Jamison.

Do you think Kobe can sustain that, and his 50%+ shooting percentage, over the course of the regular season?

Do you think Kobe can sustain that, and his 50%+ shooting percentage, over the course of the regular season?

He CAN sustain both...but he won't. 82 games is a long time to sustain the type of defensive effort he has showed thus far this season (which has been pretty [expletive]ing good), and Kobe always has a few stretches every years where his shot selection fails him along with the occasional cold streak.

I'd say 47-48% from the field is very likely, though, which would be a big improvement over last year.

Kobe's shooting performance will eventually fall. I remember around maybe two seasons ago, Kobe was shooting lights out to start the season until a night in Memphis where he broke his finger. He also has incredible shooting nights around the month where we play at NY. But he also has a week or two where he slumps. The difference here is Steve Nash who can helpfully get him shots that are easy and efficient. His cold streaks come from when he forces the shot off the dribble, but with Nash creating shots it may be easier for Kobe. We'll see though.

Defensively, TBH I haven't seen Kobe do anything special. Looking back on games where the SG were shooting low FG% I didn't think that Kobe was causing all of that. Some of those players against us with low FG% were Joe Johnson, Mayo, Harden, Klay, etc., and they seemed to either just be having off nights or were affected by Dwight. Mayo, for example, has been shooting hot from the three this season (50%), but the other day he was 0/5. Also, from what I remember Harden was suffering from some kind of flu when we played them.

I really don't even consider Kobe to be the top perimeter defense on the team. MWP has been playing his best season as a Laker so far. It says a lot about what a good defensive team anchor and team effort can do to individual stats. Which I guess brings me to one of your points.

I also understand that it helps having Dwight, but that's really all part of the game, too. Nobody considered who was up front for Boston (Garnett and Perkins) when Tony Allen was playing the defense he did, or that LeBron had a decent defensive team around him as well.

• Owner

See, I used to struggle defending players on the perimeter, once I started to slow down (getting older, lol), so today...if I'm in a men's league (won't play this year because of my knee, but yeah)...I use my teammates, mainly the bigs. But it's not really all on them, either. It's pretty difficult leading your man to the exact spot you want him on the floor, especially a dynamic guard that just wants to rain buckets on you. They find ways to get where they need to be, no matter how you position your feet and/or body.

Even with Dwight back there, if Kobe doesn't lead his man to the baseline and into the help (we're talking four defensive zones on the court, two baselines and two sides of the paint), Howard will have to step clear away from his assignment OR just stay at home...both being problems.

People have been praising Shane Battier for his defense, and still do despite losing so much quickness, and it's because of that. At one point, you could believe that Battier and Artest were making Yao Ming look pretty damn good as a defensive anchor, and yes, they also found that they could benefit by using his size to assist them in keeping their guys out of the paint (for the most part, he was no Dwight though).