Lakers Send

Pau Gasol

Steve Blake

Chris Duhon

Raptors Send:

Jose Calderon

Andrea Bargnani

(Terrence Ross/Ed Davis?)

This is a trade i see Colangelo killing for, and a trade that makes sense for LA in terms of fit, but not really value. what do you guys think? Been hearing rumblings on RGM about it, and even some reporters, but still probably not even close to a possibility. If the Raps throw in Ross or Davis do you think this gets done (I wouldn't want that, but I could see Colangelo doing it)? LA also cuts some dead weight here in Duhon and Blake and adds a good band aid PG who is also a wicked backup PG.

I think Bargnani at the 4 in LA is an interesting thought at the very least with Dwight in the mix now. I think it is important to assess Gasol's value as objectively as possible. I don't think this is a trade LA makes, but its one they at least think about I feel like.

EDIT: Raps are a bit short on salary, but it could get done pretty easily.

Edited by Check my Stats

Never would do this if I was the Lakers. As bad as Pau has been the last few years, his potential to be a game-changer is much higher than with Bargnani.

Also, if I were the Lakers, I wouldn't be simply looking at PF's to replace Pau...I'd also be looking at wingmen to replace Artest. Lakers could use more explosiveness in the starting lineup, and the only person who makes sense to replace is Artest.

• Owner

Bargnani is one of my least favorite players in the NBA, and Calderon is another. I'd scream if this happened.

We have enough trouble with Gasol being soft, wanting to take jumpers, and not playing defense. Bargnani thinks he's Dirk, is as soft as a marshmallow, and he probably doesn't know how to stand in a defensive position, let alone play it. Won't even bother talking about Calderon and his matador defense.

Plus, if we bring Jose here, he takes up Darius Morris' minutes, and at this point, I'd rather see Morris running with us, even though he's still a bit reckless and inexperienced.

Don't see why Toronto would ever turn this one down, even with Gasol's age...just to get rid of Bargnani and Calderon. You'd think they'd do it for any batch of players, as long as their contracts expired or they were unselfish players that knew how to play defense.

Don't see why Toronto would ever turn this one down, even with Gasol's age...just to get rid of Bargnani and Calderon. You'd think they'd do it for any batch of players, as long as their contracts expired or they were unselfish players that knew how to play defense.

I'd rather just let Calderon expire at the end of the season and then amnesty Bargnani than take on Gasol at his age and contract.

EDIT: I should say that I'd rather do the scenario above because I want to see Ed Davis get some significant burn. If I thought the Raptors had any chance of being even an ECF team, I'd be all for this trade but that simply isn't the case.

• Owner

I'd rather just let Calderon expire at the end of the season and then amnesty Bargnani than take on Gasol at his age and contract.

EDIT: I should say that I'd rather do the scenario above because I want to see Ed Davis get some significant burn. If I thought the Raptors had any chance of being even an ECF team, I'd be all for this trade but that simply isn't the case.

I'd imagine that Gasol would be your starting center, with Valanciunas backing him up...and then Amir and Davis at the PF slots. If Gasol goes anywhere else, maybe with the exception of a few teams I can think of, I'm pretty sure he'll be used as a center. It's where he plays his best.

I'd imagine that Gasol would be your starting center, with Valanciunas backing him up...and then Amir and Davis at the PF slots. If Gasol goes anywhere else, maybe with the exception of a few teams I can think of, I'm pretty sure he'll be used as a center. It's where he plays his best.

But what exactly is the point of that? I'd rather see Valanciunas and Davis playing 30 minutes a night each, playing through their mistakes and getting significant development through game experience. I'm sure that Gasol would be a valuable mentor for both of these two and could definitely help improve their offensive games. He is one of the more skilled big men in NBA history, there isn't any denying that.

But again, what exactly does this do for Toronto? They committ vast amount of money to a center who would then take playing time away from their most important long term piece (Valanciunas) and also handcuff them in being able to improve their team, whether via trades or free agency (Colangelo will be fired, of course, since we all know he doesn't know how to improve a team).

Like I said, I'd be all for it if I thought the Raptors had ECF potential. Hell, I'd be for it if I thought they even had 2nd round potential. That isn't the case, though, and I think we all know that. Best case scenario? Trading for Pau helps Toronto sneak into the playoffs as an 8th seed and a 4 game sweep at the hands of the Heat.

Keep in mind, that would also mean that Toronto wouldn't give OKC their pick this season and that could possibly be viewed as a negative since this years draft blows and the 2014 one projects to be substantially better.

I get what you are saying and looking at it strictly from a short term basis, it is an obvious upgrade for Toronto. Can we really say the same thing for their long term success? Eh, I'm not sold.

I don't see any reason for either team to do this deal.

LA won't go for it for obvious reasons and for Toronto they give up potential cap flexibility (Calderon's expiring and Bargnani amnesty as mentioned earlier in this thread) and take on Pau's albatross contract. He does expire in a year but Toronto would have to be nuts to not take advantage of Lowry's extremely cheap contract before it expires the following season, and be a major player in terms of cap room this upcoming free agency.

And what does this really do for the Raptors? Risk potentially significant cap room along with sacrificing the team's future for what, a shot at one of the final playoff spots? Keep their pick owed to OKC from being in the top 5 (if I'm a Raptors fan I hope BC doesn't make a knee jerk move in spite of this)?

• Owner

Well, right now, I don't think Gasol should be in the NBA, so I'll come back and answer some of that after the game.

Okay, I now retract all previous positive statements about Gasol to Toronto. You guys don't want to deal with this. I don't care much for your franchise, as you're out East and likely won't be a Finals opponent of ours, ever...but the fans are cool, and I don't want your blood pressures at dangerous levels. Stress kills.