Coach of the Year

JYD

Obviously WAY too early. But do you guys have any thoughts/predictions on who it should be a month into the season, or who will end up winning it?

A few candidates that come to mind...

Jacque Vaughn (ORL)

Mike Woodson (NYK)

Avery Johnson (BKN)

Lionel Hollins (MEM)

Jacque Vaughn's club has competed hard all season with limited overall talent. They just beat LA and Golden State on the road. Pretty impressive.

Woodson, Johnson, and Hollins records speak for themselves.

Spo doesn't have the best record in the league with Hollins right now or anything.

I could coach that team of Hall Of Famers. I'm sorry, but I'm not giving the Coach of the Year to a Coach who has LeBron James, Dwayne Wade, and Chris Bosh. No way.

Orlando is going to finish in the bottom 10 when it's all said and done, so that takes Jacque Vaughn out of contention. Avery Johnson has a good shot at winning it IF the Nets finish top 3 in the East and win atleast 50 games.

I'll probably go with Lionel Hollins though. Grizz will win 55 games at the very minimum barring any serious injuries.

I could coach that team of Hall Of Famers. I'm sorry, but I'm not giving the Coach of the Year to a Coach who has LeBron James, Dwayne Wade, and Chris Bosh. No way.

So what's Phil Jackson in your eyes?

Spo doesn't need an award...he gets his rings :glasses:

I would go with Hollins hands down if the Grizzlies still have the best record by the end of the season.

Edited by SRV

Spo doesn't need an award...he gets his rings :glasses:

True story. On second thought guys, you can take your award for coach who takes an average and gets reamed in the playoffs award. Enjoy it.

Edited by Flash

Pj only had one COTY in all his history with star filled lineups. The criteria for coty usually has more to do with how a coach improved the team compared to the season before.

With what new York has been doing, id give it to Woodson. He has his team executing a lot better than last season. If he ends up having trouble incorporating amare seamlessly, id give it to hollins instead.

Not a Coach of the Year. Coach of the Year goes to a team that has surpassed it's predictions. Miami has not surpassed their predictions.

See: I'm all in with Spo. Posted 2 years ago I'm sure its still around.

You are a gigantic flip flopper sometimes.

Anyways, this award goes to the coach who squeezes every last possible ounce out of his team. Not to a coach whose team isn't playing to its full capability. I don't think Spo is a bad coach (he isn't), but he also isn't getting every last ounce out of this team like a coach in Charlotte or Memphis is (seriously... the way Hollins has that team playing is awesome... that is what every bad team trying to be good should aspire for... they play the game the right way).

The Heat would have to win 70 games for him to be in that discussion, or damn near 70. The Heat get no credit for winning 55-60 games with 2 top 50 players ever and a top 20 player in the league today. Sorry, that's just the reality

Edited by Check my Stats
  • Like 2

You are a gigantic flip flopper sometimes.

Anyways, this award goes to the coach who squeezes every last possible ounce out of his team. Not to a coach whose team isn't playing to its full capability. I don't think Spo is a bad coach (he isn't), but he also isn't getting every last ounce out of this team like a coach in Charlotte or Memphis is (seriously... the way Hollins has that team playing is awesome... that is what every bad team trying to be good should aspire for... they play the game the right way).

The Heat would have to win 70 games for him to be in that discussion, or damn near 70. The Heat get no credit for winning 55-60 games with 2 top 50 players ever and a top 20 player in the league today. Sorry, that's just the reality

Great post, totally agreed. But I'd also put the Knicks and even Magic into the category of squeezing out every ounce with the current roster.

Knicks have 13 wins with no Amar'e and no Shumpert. A few games without J Kidd, too.