Official Diabetes Thread

Sħãlïq™

Feel free to post useful info related to the illness.

For diabetics, jokes may be beneficial

Hiraku Ohta has had diabetes for 26 yrs. He tried jogging and low-calorie diets to lose weight. It worked for a while, until he had to endure the stress of a job transfer. For the past 18 yrs he's been resigned to take medication. In May he participated in an experiment that's given him a whole new outlook on his illness.

It started with a sushi lunch, followed by a 40-minute educational lecture. Afterward, Ohta's bllod-sugar level soared to 338 miligrams per deciliter. The next day, Ohta had the same lunch, but this time attended a comedy show. Laughing apparently helped Ohta's blood sugar top out at 252mg/dl - an improvement of 25%. Dr. Koichi Kawai found similar results in the 18 other patients who participated in the study. Expressions of "positive emotions" like laughter may act on the body's endocrine system to surpress blood-glucose levels.

The study team is now conducting a more rigorous experiment to see if the effects of laughter are long-lasting. They've asked 20 patients to measure their blood-glucose levels before and after watching comedy shows for six months, and this time they'll give them DNA tests. "What I really want to know is how the mechanism of laughter works on our genes", says Kazuo Murakami, a genetic engineer at Tsukuva Univiersity who first suggested the experiment.

(Newsweek Intl: A Laugh a Day...)

And here's something else I found rather interesting: Curcumin And 8 Other Foods And Factors That May Lower Diabetes Risk

Note:

I would've simply posted this in the Official "Health and Fitness" Thread, but then I figured it wouldn't fit well there. Besides, diabetes deserves its own thread.

Do you want me to have it?

Am I supposed to have it or not in order to start a thread about it?

And what if someone in my family has it?

http://www.greensmilies.com/smile/smiley_emoticons_xmas4_wallbash.gif

I was just asking. Is it that upsetting of a question? Are you embarrassed about it and don't want to answer or something?

Do you want me to have it?

Am I supposed to have it or not in order to start a thread about it?

And what if someone in my family has it?

http://www.greensmilies.com/smile/smiley_emoticons_xmas4_wallbash.gif

Holy shit man chill, it was a simple question. Obviously he didn't mean anything by it.