Bynum: Kobe stunted my play

PHILADELPHIA -- Andrew Bynum played seven seasons with Kobe Bryant as his teammate before being traded to the Philadelphia 76ers this summer. He shared success with his fellow prep-to-pros product, making three NBA Finals, winning two championships and even both being named All-Stars last season.

But by the end of his time in L.A., Bynum felt that Bryant's ball-dominant ways hurt his development as one of the league's best centers.

“I thought it really helped me a lot obviously at first, because (Kobe) draws so much attention it's hard for guys to double team and key on you, so it helped me tremendously. Later, I felt I was able to get the ball more and do more things with the ball, so I could definitely see how it could stunt growth.” -- Andrew Bynum on playing with Kobe Bryant

Read More

His play was stunted in the sense that he wasn't the number one option, was playing next to a very high volume scorer, and (depending on how you look at it) I'm sure the whole video with Kobe dissing him in regards to the Kidd trade didn't help much.

However, I'm sure he would not change a thing...by being on the Lakers, he gained more attention than he would have as the #1 or 2 guy on a scrub team. Also, he wouldn't have had exclusive access to Kareem, who really helped mold Bynum's post play.