Calvin Johnson sets single-season receiving yards record

ChosenOne

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-KRrgPbwa7GI/UIhsi_CmzmI/AAAAAAAAADw/D-g6eEcuzGU/s1600/calvin_johnson_detroit_lions-160.png

Detroit Lions wide receiver Calvin Johnson broke Jerry Rice's record for most receiving yards in a single season during the fourth quarter of Saturday night's game against the Atlanta Falcons.

Johnson broke the record on a 26-yard reception from Matthew Stafford late in the fourth quarter. The catch gave him 1,871 yards on the season with the Lions trailing, 31-16.

Johnson tied Michael Irvin's NFL record for most 100-yard games in a season with 11 earlier in the game and posted his eighth consecutive game with 100 yards or more, also an NFL record.

Rice finished the 1995 regular season with a then-record 1,848 receiving yards.

During the third quarter, Rice told ESPN during its telecast of the game that the record would fall against the Falcons.

"It's going to go down (tonight). This guy's just amazing," Rice said. "You never want your record to be broken, but if anyone's going to do it, I prefer Megatron to do it."

Mans a [expletive]ing animal well deserved.

Pretty un impressive if you ask me, Gruden and Turico hit the nail on the head, a lot of his yards come in situations when no one is playing defense and he catches underneath and runs for 10 yards, fitting that that's what he used to break the record. Hilarious that they also pointed it he did it in his 7th straight loss lmao.

Edited by fish7718

Pretty un impressive if you ask me, Gruden and Turico hit the nail on the head, a lot of his yards come in situations when no one is playing defense and he catches underneath and runs for 10 yards, fitting that that's what he used to break the record. Hilarious that they also pointed it he did it in his 7th straight loss lmao.

If it was that simple, any WR on a shitty team would have gotten the record by now. Dude has like 10 straight games of over 100 yards, regardless of wins and losses, its not his fault the rest of the team can't do anything to help.

• Owner

It saddens me that Stafford will be a piece of history, even if his name isn't in the record books.

In the process, to do this without a top-level QB is pretty impressive. Stafford is definitely not Steve Young.

I remember that 1995 game against the Vikings, though...when Rice had that 289 yard game. It was nuts. Just think...Megatron had the record by the end of this game, one more to go.

• Like 1

Gruden and Turico hit the nail on the head, a lot of his yards come in situations when no one is playing defense and he catches underneath and runs for 10 yards

Near the end of the game last night, Gruden said at least half of Calvin Johnson's yards were YAC. Math check: 503-of-1892 (27%) per @PFF

• Owner

Can't really talk down on it. I understand that it's a "passing league" now, and that players are less likely to get away with the contact and big hits (as much as these receivers are protected)...but the fact is, the record has held up since 1995, where guys like Marvin Harrison, Torry Holt, Michael Irvin, Andre Johnson, Antonio Freeman and Reggie Wayne (among others) all had a shot at it with super-talented QB's. Johnson does it with Stafford, on a Lions team that, really, has no one else to go to.

I'm sure he had more opportunities to catch a ball, but in the process, it wasn't like teams were sagging off of him less as the only guy who was a real threat on the field. It's like Adrian Peterson seeing eight-man fronts as much as he does...teams want Ponder to go to the air because they know the biggest threat is on the ground, yet, AP is still shredding them for HUGE carries.

My favorite running back, of all-time, is Barry Sanders. Nobody intelligent was putting him on blast for what he did, and he was basically all by himself out there for years.

This is in impressive but the kid in college who broke the record for most points in a game by taking every shot in the game and not playing defence was impressive?