Royce White refuses D-League assignment AGAIN

Dash

David Aldridge ‏@daldridgetnt

Royce White says he won't play for Rockets' D League team, citing "unsafe" atmosphere of team officials making mental health calls.

This guy must really hate the D-League. :lol: What a waste of a draft pick.

This guy must really hate the D-League. :lol: What a waste of a draft pick.

I know and I was one of the main ones defending the guy. He has talent but too much of a headcase and doesn't even play.

We should have took Zeller at least he would give us depth at center.

What a waste of a talent.

The thing is though, he isn't all that talented. At least certainly not enough to warrant the headaches that you knew would inevtiably come.

His college numbers were nice, don't get me wrong, but a lot of that was due to him bullying the shit out of everybody and having the ball in his hands so often. He was an inefficient scorer (53 TS%), didn't have a great PER (22 for a college player isn't bad, but it isn't that great either) and turned the ball over at a very high rate (23%).

Add to all of this his tweener status and being a lousy defender at both the 3 or the 4 and you don't really have that great of a prospect on your hands. The fact that he is bat shit crazy is the icing on the cake.

Dude is basically Delonte West. An average NBA talent (although I do like West as a role player combo guard) who's negatives off the court vastly outweigh any positives they bring on the court.

The thing is though, he isn't all that talented. At least certainly not enough to warrant the headaches that you knew would inevtiably come.

His college numbers were nice, don't get me wrong, but a lot of that was due to him bullying the shit out of everybody and having the ball in his hands so often. He was an inefficient scorer (53 TS%), didn't have a great PER (22 for a college player isn't bad, but it isn't that great either) and turned the ball over at a very high rate (23%).

Add to all of this his tweener status and being a lousy defender at both the 3 or the 4 and you don't really have that great of a prospect on your hands. The fact that he is bat shit crazy is the icing on the cake.

Dude is basically Delonte West. An average NBA talent (although I do like West as a role player combo guard) who's negatives off the court vastly outweigh any positives they bring on the court.

Except White cant even get on the court lol

@LarryCoon: For those who have been asking me about the Royce White situation, @McCannSportsLaw covers it a lot better than I can:

Do You Believe He Can Fly? Royce White and Reasonable Accommodations Under the Americans with Disabilities Act for NBA Players with General Anxiety Disorder and Fear of Flying

Michael McCann

Vermont Law School

December 12, 2012

Pepperdine Law Review, Forthcoming

Vermont Law School Research Paper No. 19-12

Abstract:

This Article examines the potential legal fallout of an employment dispute between Royce White, an NBA player with general anxiety disorder and a severe fear of flying, and his team, the Houston Rockets. This dispute is without precedent in sports law and, because of the unique aspects of an NBA playing career, lacks clear analogy to other employment circumstances. This dispute also illuminates broader legal and policy issues in the relationship between employment and mental illness.

This Article argues that White would likely fail in a lawsuit against the Rockets and the NBA under the Americans with Disabilities Act. Case law disfavors recognition of his conditions as workplace disabilities, and even if a court recognizes them as such, there appears to be no reasonable accommodation that doesn't necessitate him flying. The Rockets, moreover, have voluntarily offered substantial workplace accommodations to White.

The Article also contends that if White cannot adequately resolve his health issues, it would be advisable for him - and the Rockets, NBA and Players' Association -- to find creative resolutions. Such an approach would be far preferable to litigation. One such approach could be loaning White's employment to another pro basketball league where all or almost all games are played within driving distance. In that circumstance, he could develop his game against talented pro basketball players and, hopefully, gradually overcome his health issues. The Israel Super Basketball League (Ligat Winner Sal) is one such league. During time in another league, White's NBA employment rights would remain with the Rockets.

Alternatively, White's contract could be terminated so that he can play in this driving-friendly type of league. If his contract is terminated, this Article recommends compensation to the Rockets in the form of a first round pick in the 2013 NBA draft -- either #16 to replace his selection from the 2012 draft or a supplemental pick at #31. This Article maintains that the NBA commissioner has legal authority to add a draft pick as compensation....

JEL Classification: K2, K12, K21, K31, K42

http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=2095190

Terminate his contract and pick up a first round pick, hopefully 16th but more likely it ends up being a supplemental pick. I'll take that over Royce White but management insists on keeping him.

The following is from the same paper:

An assignment in the “D League” would provide these rookies with playing time that they would not receive on the Rockets, one of the NBA’s more talented teams. Importantly, they would still be paid their NBA salaries while on the Vipers. While undoubtedly disappointing news, the three rookies could commiserate with several other teams’ rookies, including the Boston Celtics’ Fab Melo, who like White, was a 2012 first round pick. They received the same news from their teams.58

Strictly in terms of travel, the assignment to the Vipers would have benefited White. The Vipers’ schedule calls for most of its games to be played regionally and mostly within driving distance (the Vipers’ first 10 games are being played in Hidalgo Texas; Tulsa, Oklahoma; Reno, Nevada, and Bakersfield, California).

White did not take the news well. In response, he skipped practice and refused to report to any team activities, including practice. To date, White remains away from the Vipers and Rockets, which has suspended him without pay for refusal to report.

Unlike Machado and Motiejunas, White is not listed on the Vipers’ roster. He is in an NBA netherworld right now.

Although the Rockets contend White has not earned playing time and would be best served developing his game with the Vipers, White contends the team is punishing him for his mental health issues. He also asserts the team has strategically shared misinformation with the media about his condition.62 For instance, on November 14, 2012 he tweeted, “I'm not saying anything inappropriate or anything thats wasn't said or OMITTED by the organization, they have their media, this is mine.”

Edited by Dash