Grizz shopping Rudy Gay

The Memphis Grizzlies have held preliminary trade talks over the past few weeks centered on Rudy Gay, according to sources.

John Hollinger and Jason Levien have recently joined the Grizzlies' front office, while Chris Wallace's level of influence on personnel decisions is unclear.

Gay signed an $84 million contract in 2010 and is making $16.4 million this season.

Gay's name also surfaced in trade rumors before the 2012 NBA Draft.

http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-triangle/post/_/id/46581/the-rudy-gay-dilemma-if-hes-dealt-where-will-he-land

I'd love to see him on the Raptors. I probably wouldn't want to pay the price it would take to get him though.

I wouldn't.

He is one of the most overpaid players in the league, perhaps the most overpaid. I know I'll sound like a homer, but I wouldn't trade DeRozan for Gay straight up.

DeMar - 18.4 ppg, 4.8 rpg, 1.9 apg with a TS% of 52.4% and a PER of 15.5

Gay - 18 ppg, 5.8 rpg, 2.6 apg with a TS% of 48.7% and a PER of 15.3

Want to argue Gay is having a down season? Ok, well, lets use last season then.

19.4 ppg, 6.4 rpg, 2.3 apg with a TS% of 52.1% and a PER of 17.8

Gay is one of those guys who looks fantastic when you watch him because of how smooth he looks due to his athleticism making everything look effortless, but in actuality, he is a ball dominant, inefficient scorer who gives you solid rebounding and little else. Basically, a 6'9 version of DeRozan who also happens to be paid near the max.

To make matters worse, any Gay deal that doesn't see somebody like Kleiza or Fields go the other way puts the Raptors deep into the tax territory and even amnestying Bargnani wouldn't get them out of that. Would you really want to be locked into a DeRozan, Gay, Valanciunas core (no chance of a Lowry extension if Gay's contract is on the books) for the next 4 years?