Memphis to trade Rudy Gay to the Suns?

• Owner

Hmm...

The Memphis Grizzlies and Phoenix Suns are engaged in trade talks centered on forward Rudy Gay, league sources told Yahoo! Sports.

The Grizzlies have been shopping Gay to multiple teams, and found an interested trade partner with the Suns, sources said.

There's no framework of a possible deal in place, but the Grizzlies have expressed a strong desire that any package involving Gay include Suns forward Jared Dudley and future first-round draft picks, sources said.

In an effort to avoid paying luxury tax in the short term, as well as get off the $17.8 million and $19.3 million owed Gay in the 2013-14 and 2014-15 seasons, new Memphis management has aggressively shopped Gay. The Grizzlies have made proposals on Gay to several teams, front-office sources told Yahoo! Sports.

Gay will make $16.4 million this year.

The Suns have been mindful of their financial state under Phoenix owner Robert Sarver, and there are still doubts within the organization they will ultimately be able to absorb the remainder of Gay's contract.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nba--suns-in-trade-talks-for-rudy-gay-165005609.html

• Owner

don't see what they could be offering. i've been sort of on the fence about gay, but honestly if they say give us Jose and Ross for him I think I say yes. Not sure that's enough, but what could PHX be offering that is better?

Well, it says that Memphis may be after Dudley and a first-rounder...but who knows.

Trade makes a whole lot of sense for the Grizzles. They lose a little wing athleticism but they add a equally, if not better defensive player, and the main thing is they can space the floor a lot better with his three point shooting (which is much needed when you have Z Bo and Gasol occupying so much room in the paint).

Not sure what direction the Suns are going though. He isnt really worth the cap hit. You're basically saying that you're going to build around him if you make the trade. And isn't even close to being an all-star let alone a franchise player.

I like this move for the Suns as they get much more competitive right now. Dragic, Brown, Gay, Scola, Gortat gives them a great offensive team with some decent defensive players.

For Memphis I think it takes them way out of title contention. Gay for Memphis if worth over paying for.