Sacramento Kings sold to a Seattle group

Real Deal

• Owner
Adrian Wojnarowski ‏@WojYahooNBA

The Maloofs are finalizing an agreement to sell the Sacramento Kings to the Hansen-Ballmer led Seattle group, sources tell Yahoo! Sports.

Adrian Wojnarowski ‏@WojYahooNBA

The deal will sell the Kings for approximately $500 million, with the Seattle group seeking relocation to Key Arena for the 2013-'14 season.

Welp...time to retire some jerseys:

http://thetonygrands.files.wordpress.com/2011/12/kempton.jpg

And welcome back, Sonics.

I never really cared about Seattle but I'm alright with them getting a team back.

Same here as a Rockets fan I couldn't stand the Sonics because of our rivalry's in the late 80's and 90's, then when they left for OKC I actually felt bad for the fan base and city. It'll be nice to see a new Houston/Seattle rivalry all over again though, it's just not the same when the Rockets play OKC and speaking of which it's going to be interesting when the new Seattle team and OKC play each other.

Feel awful for Kings fans though, some of the best in the NBA.

I also fell bad for the Kings fans they where one of my favorite teams doing the early 2000's with J-Will/Bibby, Christie, Peja, C-Webb, Divac, Turkoglu, and B-Jax. One of the most entertaining teams of that era.

Edited by htownborn

Never felt bad for the Sonics fans. All of them I used to post with over at JBB were dicks, and the fanbase wasn't showing up to support their team anyway.

I think I remember who you're talking about...and I agree

the fanbase wasn't showing up to support their team anyway.

Can't blame them for not showing up when it was clear that the owners were determined to drive the team out of Seattle at season's end. The final year in Seattle had ugly attendance numbers, but the seasons immediately before that, it wasn't that bad for a small capacity arena. 93.5% of the capacity occupied in '06-'07 and 94.9% the year before.

• Owner

So will they still be the "Kings?"

Gotta assume they'll change their name to the Sonics. I believe Seattle owns all of the Sonics' history, too, so that'll be interesting. Will the Kings just basically cease to exist at that point? No carry-over?

• Like 1

Gotta assume they'll change their name to the Sonics. I believe Seattle owns all of the Sonics' history, too, so that'll be interesting. Will the Kings just basically cease to exist at that point? No carry-over?

I think they'll kinda honor the original (Royals/Kings) franchise in a way.

8. Sign Of Times

http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2013/0110/nba_u_kings_fans_b1_286.jpg

Kelley L Cox-USA TODAY Sports

A Sacramento Kings fan holds a sign against the possible sale of the Kings to a Seattle-based group during the second quarter against the Dallas Mavericks at Sleep Train Arena.

http://espn.go.com/nba/dailydime/_/page/dime-130110/daily-dime

No comment.

Latest update says Kings might stay in Sacto -- Future Home Of Kings Remains In Doubt:

SACRAMENTO, Calif. – The Kings’ future in Sacramento remained uncertain Friday afternoon amid contrasting reports that the Maloof family has either been in talks with a buyer who would keep the team in town or that the owners have reached an agreement in principle to sell to a group that would move the team to Seattle.

One thing is definite: Hall of Famer Magic Johnson is not part of a bid, NBA.com has learned.

Johnson was a prominent part of the group when California businessman Mark Mastrov made a serious run at the Warriors in 2010. Now, Ken Berger of CBSSports.com is reporting Mastrov has talked to the Maloofs about buying the Kings, quoting Mastrov as saying, “Definitely, there’ve been conversations. Definitely there’s interest in acquiring the team and keeping it in Sacramento.”

The story does not say whether negotiations are in the early stages or at a serious point, or whether the talks are current or have stalled as the Maloofs have by many indications moved close to a sale that would result in the team going to Seattle.

Meanwhile, Matt Steinmetz of CSNBayArea.com, citing a source familiar with the negotiations, wrote the Maloof family has struck a deal with the Chris Hansen-Steve Ballmer group as the first major step to filing for relocation before the March 1 deadline to have the Kings in Washington next season. The cost would be approximately $525 million, Steinmetz reported.

HangTime

Marc Stein ‏@ESPNSteinLine

Just going online now: Maloofs have struck deal to sell 65 percent of Kings to Chris Hansen group in Seattle for $525 million, sources say

Holy [expletive].

The $525M has to be a valuation of the entire franchise, right? There is no way that a 65% share of the Kings is with $525M. That is ridiculous.

Phil Jackson is "almost [a] living lock" to become the front office face of the Seattle-bound Sacramento Kings, according to a source.

While Jackson won't coach, he will mentor the franchise's coach following the move to Seattle.

Whut?

Phil Jackson is "almost [a] living lock" to become the front office face of the Seattle-bound Sacramento Kings, according to a source.

While Jackson won't coach, he will mentor the franchise's coach following the move to Seattle.

:yahoo: Hope it's true! Can't wait to see P-Jax stylin' on 'em again!!

• 2 months later...

Mayor: Sacramento has preliminary arena deal  

Mayor: City agrees to $448M deal

SACRAMENTO, Calif. -- Sacramento city officials reached a preliminary agreement Saturday night for a new downtown arena with an investment group that hopes to keep the Kings from moving to Seattle. Sacramento Mayor Kevin Johnson first announced the deal on his Twitter account. A few hours later, the city released the details of the non-binding term sheet.

The group includes Silicon Valley software tycoon Vivek Ranadive, 24 Hour Fitness founder Mark Mastrov and billionaire Ron Burkle. The City Council is planning to vote on the agreement Tuesday.

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/9090238/sacramento-preliminary-downtown-arena-deal-kings-mayor-kevin-johnson-says

:( I wanted a move to Seattle...

Edited by Sħãlïq™