Where does KD rank all-time as a pure scorer?

Check my Stats

In terms of just pure scoring, where does he rank all time? I'm genuinely curious because I definitely don't consider myself a historian of the game, but I find it hard to believe there are many, if any, players that have been harder to defend from a pure scoring standpoint. Ranks right there with Dirk in terms of being practically unguardable.

• Owner

Unguardable? Durant is my second favorite player, but nah...he's had a couple of guys who can really turn his game upside down. He hasn't changed THAT much over the last couple of years, aside from being a better passer...and when Ron Artest could still move around, he really gave Durant problems with very limited help. In the second-to-last playoff series we had with them (and Durant won a scoring title that year), he struggled big time.

7-24 (.292)

12-26 (.462)

8-24 (.333)

6-12 (.500)

5-14 (.357)

5-23 (.217)

Shawn Marion did a number on him in the final three games of their playoff series in 2011, also.

Fortunately for KD, Ron and Marion are aging pretty damn fast, especially Artest.

It would have been different if we wrapped a zone defense around him, like Boston used to do other superstars (Kobe, KD, LeBron), but we just gave him Ron to deal with.

---------

Once we dive into NBA history, it's hard for me to say Durant is a better pure scorer than Kobe Bryant. He's a better pure shooter, but as far as scoring arsenal...come on. Durant doesn't have a post game yet, and that's a big deal to me. I busted LeBron's chops for years because he didn't have one, and I finally gave him props (and he finally won a ring) the year he implemented one into his game.

Kobe had one of the best scoring seasons since Wilt. Durant isn't there. Durant's 52 was only his second 50+ point game of his career (and 52 is his career high)...while Kobe has had 24 of them, with four 60's and an 81 that you remember.

• Like 1

The season he is having now is historic. This year he is in the 50/40/90 club averaging 29PPG, and a ridiculous TS% of over 65% due to how frequently he gets to the line. Those numbers are pretty much unheard of.

It's tough to gauge exactly where he ranks all-time, though. He is a high volume scorer who is NOT streaky...you don't get a ton of 45-50pt+ scoring outbursts that you get with guys like Jordan, Kobe, T-Mac, AI, etc... However, you don't get many of the 8-24 nights that those guys had frequently, as well (except prime MJ). I think Real Deal is really underrating what he can do as a scorer. Sure, he don't got much of a post-game, but what seperates him from so many of the league's greatest scorers is that he's absolutely deadly off-ball. He is an unbelievable catch-and-shoot 3pt shooters who is elite in spot-ups, off curls, and those "stop on a dime" transition 3's. Due to his size and length, it is damn-near impossible to even alter his shot once he rises up. Like, he is so tall and has such a good vertical jump that it is hard to even get a hand in his face, let alone threaten him with blocking his shot. He has also gotten better and more careful with his handle, so he has more ways of beating you in iso situations, and he has the first step and size to be extremely effective at getting to the rim and finishing. He also is very good at initiating contact and getting to the line, both on drives and shot attempts.

In other words, this guy is insanely unique...I've never seen anything like him in terms of size + repetoire + mindset. I tend to value that killer instinct of a scorer to go for 50+ on any given night, which he doesn't have like MJ and Kobe did/does. However, his insane efficiency at a 30PPG volume is really tough to beat.

So, as far as scorers go, I'm very tempted to already put him top 5 all-time. I'd take him over the likes of AI, T-Mac, Dirk, Wade, Drexler, King, Melo, Wilkins, Bird, Barkley, Malone, Hakeem, etc... I'd comfortably put MJ over him, at this point would probably still trust prime Kobe over him (although it's very, very close), and Dantley had insane volume/efficiency but I haven't seen much film of him so let's slide him in there as well. I'd probably take prime Shaq over him, and if LeBron continues this hyper-efficient outside shooting it's a tossup there.

So, my top 6 is MJ, Kobe, Dantley, Shaq, LeBron and Durant. Don't really know where Dantley stands, so he may or may not be top 5 all-time.