Berger: Lowry Available?

Ken Berger wrote a piece about the Lakers and in the post up section, he made a comment that according to his sources, the Raptors are more likely to try and move Lowry than Calderon.

Kyle Lowry, who has quickly worn out his welcome in Toronto, could be an option for the Mavs or Hawks, who are both in need of point-guard help. With only $1 million guaranteed next season, Lowry would be a short-term fix without clogging up future cap space. CBSSports.com

Toronto is perhaps the most realistic landing spot for Gasol, given the uncertainty in the organization about whether Andrea Bargnani will ever develop into a star there. Bargnani wouldn't have to be a star in LA. He would simply have to stand at the 3-point line and make shots, a La Howard's former teammate in Orlando, Ryan Anderson. Toronto also has a point-guard problem to solve.
And while Jose Calderon has frequently been mentioned as trade bait, league sources say the Raptors are far more amenable to trading Kyle Lowry, who has not made many friends in his new surroundings.
The Raptors gave up a sure lottery pick for him (which Houston subsequently sent to Oklahoma City in the James Harden trade), so Gasol might be a way to salvage that transaction. Plus, with the new CBA taking effect and shortening teams' windows for winning, a team like Toronto might feel better about committing 1½ seasons to Gasol than using its cap room this summer to sign a lesser player for four years. CBSSports.com

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/story/21614044/postups-whether-dealing-gasol-howard-or-standing-pat-lakers-in-bind

For what it is worth, Wolstat and Arthur both disputed this but I'm not sure if we can believe them. I imagine Berger's sources are guys who have been talking to opposing GM's and what not, while Wolstat and Arthur's sources are likely MLSE mouthpieces. Of course, opposing GM's may be blowing smoke since they'd rather acquire Lowry than Calderon, so they leak this Lowry is available stuff as well. I'm not sure what to believe.

Either way, I really hope this isn't the case. Calderon has played very well this season and I can't criticize him too much, but at the end of the day he is 32 years old and in a contract year looking for a final payday before either heading back to spain or retiring. Lowry is a more talented player, younger and locked into a nice contract for next year. I know he has had his issues this year, but when he is on and playing right, he is arguably the most talented point guard this team has ever had and a borderline All-Star.

Even with his problems this year, he has still been the Raptors best player and is their 2nd most valuable asset moving forward behind Valanciunas. Giving up on him already, in favour of Calderon no less, would be a huge mistake as far as I'm concerned.

His numbers fell badly. Was it the injuries?

His numbers haven't really fallen that much. I mean, yeah, they've fallen since the beginning of the season when he got off to such a ridiculous start. Per 36 minutes he is having the most productive season of his career averaging 17.9 ppg, 5.8 rpg, 7.5 apg and 1.7 spg on a 58 TS%. His PER is 21.8, which would make him join Carter and Bosh as the only Raptors to ever post a PER above 20 in a season.

The problem is that Lowry's injury happened to coincide with the Raptors schedule easing up substantially. They got off to a horrific start with Lowry starting and then when he got hurt and Calderon was starting, they feasted on a bucnh of teams worse than them. This resulted in a stigma getting attached to Lowry as a selfish chucker who was only out for himself and wasn't playing a way that was conclusive to winning.

He then comes back and is limited to a 24 minute a night backup role in which he is playing with shackles on, or, in other words, basically being told to play the same way as Calderon, which isn't his game. His numbers in those minutes are still productive as he is averaging 11/3/6 with a 58 TS%, but he just doesn't get to play his game anymore.

He has still been the Raptors best player by a wide margin this season. His per 36 numbers are better, or at the very least comparable, to Jrue Holiday's who was named to the All-Star team.

I'm just hoping that they are showcasing Calderon but everything seems to suggest that they genuinely think that Calderon is a better point guard for this team and legitimately want to trade Lowry, which is just moronic.

I really hope this isn't true. However, knowing BC, I wouldn't be that surprised. Like you said, even though Calderon has played very well this year, Lowry is still our best player, and can/should be our PG moving forward.

From reading between the lines, I think you have it wrong. I think Colangelo wants to keep Lowry and deal Calderon, but Casey wants to keep Calderon and deal Lowry. This is speculation on my part, but from interviews, speculation and all that jazz that I've read/heard, that is the conclusion I've come to.

Normally you think the GM will have his way, but again, I'm not so sure about that. Colangelo's future is tenuious at best, while Casey was pretty much given the vote of confidence MLSE. Back at that board meeting they had, John Shannon mentioned something along the lines of Casey was told to play whoever he wants and not worry about stepping on Colangelo's toes (something along those lines, at least). That makes me think that there is a lot of truth to the speculation that Lowry is actually on the block.

BFT, what do you think the Lakers would actually pursue this after acquiring Nash?  I mean we need a young and athletic PG, and anyone is better than Nash in those two regards.  I don't know if either one would be willing to come off the bench however.

BFT, what do you think the Lakers would actually pursue this after acquiring Nash?  I mean we need a young and athletic PG, and anyone is better than Nash in those two regards.  I don't know if either one would be willing to come off the bench however.

Do you mean would the Lakers actually pursue Lowry? I imagine they would inquire, but to be perfectly honest, I don't think the Raptors have any interest in any deal that sees Lowry heading to the Lakers.

Your second point is spot on, though. Neither one would really be happy coming off the bench. In fact, back before the draft Colangelo's plan was to actually trade their pick for Lowry and then sign Steve Nash in the summer. Colangelo was given permission to talk to Lowry from the Rockets and told him about this plan, but Lowry said that he didn't want to come to Toronto just to back up Nash. Maybe things have changed in the last 6 months, but Lowry wasn't willing to backup Nash then and I imagine he won't be too thrilled about it now.

However, if the alternative is staying in Toronto and backing up Calderon, maybe he would have a change of mind? Who knows.

I just don't think Toronto and LA are viable trade partners, so even if the interest is there on LA's part, I don't envision anything coming to fruition.

Do you mean would the Lakers actually pursue Lowry? I imagine they would inquire, but to be perfectly honest, I don't think the Raptors have any interest in any deal that sees Lowry heading to the Lakers.

Your second point is spot on, though. Neither one would really be happy coming off the bench. In fact, back before the draft Colangelo's plan was to actually trade their pick for Lowry and then sign Steve Nash in the summer. Colangelo was given permission to talk to Lowry from the Rockets and told him about this plan, but Lowry said that he didn't want to come to Toronto just to back up Nash. Maybe things have changed in the last 6 months, but Lowry wasn't willing to backup Nash then and I imagine he won't be too thrilled about it now.

However, if the alternative is staying in Toronto and backing up Calderon, maybe he would have a change of mind? Who knows.

I just don't think Toronto and LA are viable trade partners, so even if the interest is there on LA's part, I don't envision anything coming to fruition.

I honestly wouldn't mind a Nash for Lowry deal, but I wonder which side would be more hesitant to do it

oh i know raptors fans wouldn't want it, but let's play the whole bring nash back home game again

Only way it would somehow happen is if the owners want to do it because of all the money from jersey sales and publisity they would get from bringing Nash to Canada. And now that Bell/Rogers own the Raptors, I don't see that happening.

I would be shocked if he was moved.  Colangelo isn't super attached to Jose as everyone is led to believe - in fact, Lowe suggested in a Grantland article that it is sort of Casey-Colangelo debating over the two.  Obviously part speculation, but makes sense.  Also, think of how many times Colangelo has tried to replace Jose in the past 3 years.

Lowry is our best player, and has done everything that has been asked of him this year, despite being ridiculously replaced after being hurt.  He is easily our best player this minute, and to trade him now would be trading him for 50 cents on the dollar after how he's been used this year.

I can't wait to see the horrific 3 year 21 million dollar extension we give Jose this summer.