Stein: Raptors After Pau Gasol

Raptors president Bryan Colangelo, in the wake of the Gay trade, is now openly acknowledging that he's shopping former No. 1 overall pick Andrea Bargnani. The Lakers' interest in Bargnani remains a matter of debate in the midst of the Italian's worst-ever season by far, but the not-for-public-consumption message that continues to emanate from Canada is that Toronto remains intent on pursuing Gasol even after trading for Gay.

At a news conference Friday, Colangelo acknowledged that the Raptors are prepared to stray into luxury-tax territory in the "right transaction." One source close to the situation says Gasol is a guy who fits those parameters, depending on the rest of potential trade principals besides Bargnani./

So we'll see, over the next 20 days, if the Lakers change their stance on Gasol's availability ... and if Toronto can even assemble a package to tempt them without Jose Calderon's expiring contract to attach to Bargnani.

http://espn.go.com/nba/dailydime/_/page/dime-130201-02/eight-trade-truths-deadline

Problem is that with Calderon now in Detroit, Toronto doesn't really have many options to attach to Bargnani to make salaries work.

They basically have two options.

1. Attach Linas Kleiza and a minimum contract (likely Alan Anderson since Pietrus won't be able to be traded before the deadline) with Bargnani.

2. Attach Landry Fields with Bargnani.

The Lakers, who probably have minimal interest in Bargnani in the first place, don't even give Colangelo time to get the names Kleiza or Fields out of his mouth before hanging up the phone, unless Colangelo is dangling Valanciunas or Ross as well. Colangelo isn't that stupid, or at least I hope he isn't.

Conversely for Toronto, Colangelo likely has to dump Fields or, at the very least, Kleiza's contracts in order for MLSE to sign off on the trade or else they'd be paying way too much tax next year (and because, well, they have to be included for salary reasons).

So even though the interest may be there, I really don't see any chance of this deal happening, unlike the Gay trade where I was about 99% sure it would happen after reading Stein's original report.

PS: There is another option for Toronto, but I didn't even mention it because it would never happen. That is including Amir Johnson with Bargnani, but that doesn't happen.

• Owner

Hell no. I don't want Bargnani. Feels like a downgrade, honestly. I'd rather have Gasol's passive play over Bargnani's shot attempts, and not to mention Gasol's contract is a massive $20 million expiring after next season.

I don't see the sense in it, but there are two things at play: First, Pau is probably going to demand a deal this summer, further hurting his value along with LA butchering it themselves.  Second, you absolutely have to believe that D'Antoni would be at the very least interested in having a shooting 7 footer next to Dwight.  If there is any player that you can get away with playing Bargs, it is a healthy Dwight.

Like BFT said, don't see what we can add (Ross was untouchable for Gay, who is probably more valuable, as bad as that is.. and Jonas.. lol good luck), Bargnani alone definitely won't cut it.  Would a Bargs+first get it done?  I'm not sure what the deal is for trading firsts when you already have a first rounder tied up in a condition (though OKC is 99.9% getting that pick this year).

If on draft night (or the deadline if allowed), Raps call and offer Bargnani and their next first for Pau, does LA hang up the phone? Seriously doubt it. 

Not an advocate, but I would be willing to amnesty Bargs.  If we can get one year out of one of the best bigs in the league, why not?  Wouldn't put it past BC to trade off another first - he's done it in about half the years he has been here.

Edited by Check my Stats

I don't see the sense in it, but there are two things at play: First, Pau is probably going to demand a deal this summer, further hurting his value along with LA butchering it themselves.  Second, you absolutely have to believe that D'Antoni would be at the very least interested in having a shooting 7 footer next to Dwight.  If there is any player that you can get away with playing Bargs, it is a healthy Dwight.

Like BFT said, don't see what we can add (Ross was untouchable for Gay, who is probably more valuable, as bad as that is.. and Jonas.. lol good luck), Bargnani alone definitely won't cut it.  Would a Bargs+first get it done?  I'm not sure what the deal is for trading firsts when you already have a first rounder tied up in a condition (though OKC is 99.9% getting that pick this year).

If on draft night (or the deadline if allowed), Raps call and offer Bargnani and their next first for Pau, does LA hang up the phone? Seriously doubt it. 

Not an advocate, but I would be willing to amnesty Bargs.  If we can get one year out of one of the best bigs in the league, why not?  Wouldn't put it past BC to trade off another first - he's done it in about half the years he has been here.

For this year the Raptors be allowed to trade the nonlottery portion of their 2013 first round pick, but given how unlikely they are to make the playoffs it wouldn't hold much value (maybe with Gay the team somehow goes on a run in the coming weeks and it can possibly some value by the deadline). At the very least it can be used as a sweetner in a deal. The protection of the pick traded to OKC is so complicated but I'm nearly positive Toronto would be able to trade its 2014 first rounder as well. If the obligation to the Thunder isn't somehow completed this season then the pick traded to the Lakers would roll over to 2015, etc. 

Edited by Dash