Clippers Trying to Acquire Kevin Garnett?

BOSTON — Multiple sources tell Sporting News the Los Angeles Clippers are making a push to acquire center Kevin Garnett from the Boston Celtics. Team officials have been talking ahead of Sunday's game in Boston.

Interest in Garnett is seen as proof the Clippers believe they can be a championship contender in the NBA's Western Conference. Questions remain about whether the Celtics are ready to make a major step in rebuilding the franchise. Garnett has a no-trade clause in his contract, and would have to agree to waive it in order to make a deal happen.

http://dy.snimg.com/story-image/5/84/4474888/142599-650-366.jpgKevin Garnett is being targeted by the Clippers to aid their title hopes. (AP Photo)

Things have not been going well for the Clippers, but for that at least there is a handy excuse — the team has been knocked around by injuries.

Their most notable problem is in the backcourt. However, it appears the team believes that will be fixed when Chauncey Billups, Chris Paul and Jamal Crawford heal.

It is a need for strong frontcourt play that brings the Clippers' interest in Garnett.

The crux of an offer for Garnett, according to sources, would be based around second-year guard Eric Bledsoe and veteran wing Caron Butler.

http://aol.sportingnews.com/nba/story/2013-02-03/clippers-are-after-celtics-kevin-garnett-sources-tell-sporting-news

I would've thought they'd have more interest in trading for Pierce to really shore up their small forward spot. Although i guess the Clippers don't have a whole lot of big man depth if they plan on using Odom at the 3, which I imagine they would do if they made a trade like this.

Anyways, thoughts? Do you think any sort of deal will come to fruition, or is this just pointless speculation?

I don't doubt KG's impact but I would be really hesitant about moving Bledsoe for a guy rumored to be on his last season. That said, with Bradley/Rondo I would expect the Clippers to bring in a third team that could use Bledsoe and the third team flips Boston an SF/big man prospect + possibly a pick (assuming a deal did come to fruition). 

Edited by Dash

• Owner

This doesn't make sense to me. Do they think they can get away with Blake Griffin at the three?

Garnett isn't going to waive his no-trade clause to be a backup PF, and I doubt he wants to continue playing center...only doing it because he has to.

Paul

Billups

Butler

Griffin

KG

Imo thats not that much of an upgrade from having Jordan at C and Bledso off the bench as a back up for Paul. Might even be a downgrade.

Are the hoping KG takes Griffin under his wing of some shit? Because I really dont think KG is up for that project right now.

• 2 weeks later...

Report: Clippers back away from KG talks

According to a report from Yahoo! Sports, the Los Angeles Clippers have ceased talks with the Boston Celtics on a Kevin Garnett for Eric Bledsoe and DeAndre Jordan trade.

The Celtics and Clippers have been involved in trade rumors for weeks, with a Garnett for Bledsoe and Jordan swap serving as the focus

of many of the rumors. While Celtics president of basketball operations Danny Ainge has downplayed his desire to trade Garnett -- who has a no-trade clause in his contract -- the Yahoo! Sports report suggests that Boston has

been trying to make the deal happen, and the Clippers have now backed

off. According to the report, the Clippers won't pursue further

conversations with the Celtics unless All-Star point guard Chris Paul pushes for them.

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/celtics/post/_/id/4702493/report-clippers-back-away-from-kg-talks

YEAH!!! :dribble: