LeBron James sounds off regarding player injuries, NBA season

Real Deal

Player injuries, NBA season decisions  

1 member has voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I don't necessarily disagree with his general idea that the quick turnaround from the end of the bubble to the start of the season has attributed to some more potential injuries, but I would like to know if injuries are actually up this season in comparison to previous seasons. I know the narrative is that they are but is that factually correct or just people running with a popular theme? In addition to that, how many of these injuries that have happened this year can be attributed to fatigue and not just general injury? I know Kyrie's injury has been used as an example but I'd like to think that injury happens regardless of a condensed season or not. Only so much you can do about players suffering injuries in the course of normal basketball plays.

The other main complaint I have with his statement is that the he can claim that the players wanted to have fewer games and more rest, but would they be willing to sacrifice their pay in order to achieve that? I find it hard to believe that the players would be willing to give up even more salary by playing fewer games in the season. I can definitely see them complaining about how they have to forfeit even more salary if they cut the season down to 60 games. Can't have their cake and eat it too.

The final thing I'll say is the line about how "if there's one person who knows about the body and how it works all year round is ME!" line makes him sound like a complete douchebag lol. 

• Owner

ESPN produced an article earlier in the month that talked about the injuries, by the numbers.

The average number of players sidelined per game due to injury, non-COVID-19 illness or rest this season was 5.1 (includes both teams), according to ESPN's Kevin Pelton, the highest since he started tracking it in 2009-10. That does not include games missed by players in the health and safety protocols. The next highest season was 4.8, so 2020-21 was 5% higher.

The increase was even more pronounced when focusing on the league's stars. This season's All-Stars missed 370 of a possible 1,944 games (19%), the highest percentage in a season in NBA history, according to Elias Sports Bureau research. They missed an average of 13.7 regular-season games each this year.

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/31592404/data-shows-nba-injuries-condensed-season

The thing is, I really wish I knew how many of those stars were sitting out to rest, claiming injuries were the reason.