Top 10 possible free agents

BlueDevil

Free-agent defensive dynamos Trevor Ariza (left) and Ron Artest will get some attention this summer.

Noah Graham/NBAE via Getty Images

No reason to think frugally with these 10 free agents

By John Schuhmann, NBA.com

Posted Jun 29 2009 11:14AM

With a handful of big trades leading up to the Draft, it's already been an interesting summer. And on Wednesday, it could get even more intriguing.

Starting at midnight ET on Tuesday, teams can begin negotiating with free agents. Contracts can't be signed until July 8, but we'll start hearing of deals being reached as early as Wednesday afternoon.

With the trades that went down last week, we saw the rich getting richer and the poor getting poorer. Teams without a realistic shot at a title are choosing to save as much money as they can, while a select few potential contenders are taking financial risks in the hopes of acquiring the player(s) who will put them over the top.

With the economy slowing ticket and advertising sales, teams are tightening their purse strings. If teams spend at all, they're at least trying to spend smarter. Gone are the days when Jerome James gets the full mid-level exception.

The cream of the free agency crop will still get their money, but the economy will likely affect the players further down the list below. They'll have fewer suitors this summer than they would have had a few years ago, while the contracts given out are likely to be shorter and more reasonable financially.

The great free agent class of 2010, led by LeBron James, Chris Bosh and Dwyane Wade, is a year away. That will also keep some teams from spending their money right now. But there's plenty of talent to be had this summer, starting with the Finals MVP.

The status of some of the players listed below may not be determined until Tuesday night, when decisions on team, player and early termination options are due.

Ages are as of Oct. 1, 2009, when training camps open.

1. Kobe Bryant, SG, L.A. Lakers (Early Termination Option)

Key stats: 26.8 ppg, 5.2 rpg, 4.9 apg

If he chooses, Bryant can opt out of the final two years of his contract and sign a new deal this summer. Either way, he'll be a Laker come October. "I'm not going anywhere," he said after earning his fourth ring. Still, he belongs on the top of this list.

2. Carlos Boozer, PF, Utah (Player Option)

Key stats: 16.2 ppg, 10.4 rpg, 2.1 apg

It seems like Boozer's been a free agent for the last six months, but teams won't be able to talk to the former two-time All-Star until Wednesday morning. Boozer's injury history is scary when it comes to investing big money, considering he played in just 276 of 410 regular season games since signing with the Jazz in 2004. But he's a big man that demands a double-team down low, and those come at a premium.

3. Ron Artest, SF, Houston

Key stats: 17.1 ppg, 5.2 rpg, 3.3 apg

Artest is still one of the best two-way players in the league and gave the Rockets the toughness they needed to get past the first round. With Tracy McGrady not likely to return to action for a while, Houston needs him back, but he's bound to have other suitors.

4. Hedo Turkoglu, SF, Orlando (Early Termination Option)

Key stats: 16.8 ppg, 5.3 rpg, 4.9 apg

Turkoglu will give back the $7 million on his current contract for 2009-10 to take advantage of his strong postseason and get a new deal. Plus, the Magic's trade for Vince Carter likely puts Turkoglu out on the free market. If you need somebody to make plays and hit big shots, Turkoglu's your man.

5. Lamar Odom, PF, L.A. Lakers

Key stats: 11.3 ppg, 8.2 rpg, 2.6 apg

Odom sacrificed his minutes and stats in a contract year, which is not an easy thing for NBA players to accept. But it paid off with a championship and it will pay off when teams start calling agent Jeff Schwartz on Tuesday night. The numbers don't tell the whole story. Odom's versatility and ability to handle the ball at 6-foot-10 are valuable, especially to the Lakers, who can't count on Andrew Bynum to stay out of foul trouble.

6. Paul Millsap, PF, Utah (Restricted)

Key stats: 13.5 ppg, 8.6 rpg, 1.8 apg

Boozer's absence this season gave Millsap the chance to showcase his skills and earn a big paycheck this summer. He's an elite rebounder with an improving offensive game. The 24-year-old has missed just six games in his first three seasons, making him a better long-term investment than Boozer.

7. Charlie Villanueva, PF, Milwaukee (Restricted)

Key stats: 16.2 ppg, 6.7 rpg, 1.8 apg

Trading Richard Jefferson frees more money for the Bucks to re-sign Villanueva, who had the best season of his career just in time to cash in. He lacks toughness down low, but is a potent, versatile scorer.

8. David Lee, PF, New York (Restricted)

Key stats: 16.0 ppg, 11.7 rpg, 2.1 apg

Like many on this list, Lee had his best season in a contract year. Thanks to Mike D'Antoni's system, Lee led the league in double-doubles (65) as the only true big man in the Knicks' lineup. He'd be a great role player to complement any star that the Knicks might bring in next summer, but re-signing him will take away some 2010 cap space.

9. Trevor Ariza, SF, L.A. Lakers

Key stats: 8.9 ppg, 4.3 rpg, 1.8 apg

What do you get when you combine a lock-down defender with a guy who can knock down open threes? You get Ariza, the perfect role player. He made a big contribution to the Lakers' championship run, which came just in time to take a step up in salary.

10. Marvin Williams, SF, Atlanta (Restricted)

Key stats: 13.9 ppg, 6.3 rpg, 1.3 apg

Williams has never justified his status as the No. 2 pick in the 2005 Draft. But he has improved steadily over his four seasons and became a solid shooter last season before back problems sidelined him down the stretch. He's the youngest player in the top 10 and can fill holes on both ends of the floor.

The Next 15:

11. Ben Gordon, SG, Chicago

12. Shawn Marion, PF, Toronto

13. Mehmet Okur, C, Utah (Early Termination Option)

14. Rasheed Wallace, C, Detroit

15. Jason Kidd, PG, Dallas

16. Andre Miller, PG, Philadelphia

17. Anderson Varejao, PF, Cleveland (Player Option)

18. Mike Bibby, PG, Atlanta

19. Allen Iverson, SG, Detroit

20. Glen Davis, PF, Boston (Restricted)

21. Raymond Felton, PG, Charlotte (Restricted)

22. Ramon Sessions, PG, Milwaukee (Restricted)

23. Brandon Bass, PF, Dallas

24. Kyle Korver, SF, Utah (Early Termination Option)

25. Marcin Gortat, C, Orlando (Restricted)

link: http://www.nba.com/2009/news/features/john_schuhmann/06/29/schuhmann.top10.freeagents/index.html

Cavalier wish list (Assuming we could just pick them up):

Hedo (we need a guy that can hit shots, often), Wallace (a big that can play defense, get rebounds, and hit a shot), and Ben Gordon (another guy that can hit a shot more than once a game).

I wish we could pick up Marvin, just because he's my favorite player.

Pretty sure the Raptors have around 11 or 12 million in cap, but they have to sign like 5 players depending on the options they exercise and what not. Anyways I hope we throw offers to all the wing players up there, specifically Artest and Hedo first and foremost, then Ariza, Odom and CV secondary. Of course it depends on if they WANT to come here, but money can usually outweight someone's lack of desire to play in Canada, at least I hope.

Anyways I read a piece where Artest said Toronto is an awesome city, and with Yao being out all next year apparently, and T-Mac with one foot out the door, hopefully the Rockets let Ron walk, and in that case the Raptors could offer him around 10 mill, more than anyone can or might be willing to offer.

Really I just hope the Raps can sign a SF or SG that can come here and make us a better team, also whatever team overpays for Ariza is going to regret it IMO, Odom is the guy the Lakers should be focusing on re-signing.

The thing with the Raptors is we really don't need Hedo even tho it will help. We need to move away from the Euro play and overpaying Hedo isnt going to be us over the top. Trying hard for a player like Artest helps us alot, because it gives a wing we really need and gives us some toughness since we are known as the softest team. We have enough shooters, add one more isnt gonna be the best idea.

I would take Artest, Odom, Ariza, or Williams over Hedo.

The thing with the Raptors is we really don't need Hedo even tho it will help. We need to move away from the Euro play and overpaying Hedo isnt going to be us over the top. Trying hard for a player like Artest helps us alot, because it gives a wing we really need and gives us some toughness since we are known as the softest team. We have enough shooters, add one more isnt gonna be the best idea.

I would take Artest, Odom, Ariza, or Williams over Hedo.

I'm not big on Ariza to be honest, throw Gordon on that list if you want to as well... IMO all we need is a 2nd option, and how do we have too many shooters? If we lose Kapono AND AP we lost our 2 best shooters lol. Anyways, we just need a guy who we can give the ball to on the wing and get us a basket, a guy besides Bosh who can produce for himself. Maybe Bargs will be that this year but I don't wanna take that chance... my list goes as follows for who I'd want ideally:

1. Artest

2. Gordon

3. Hedo

4. Odom

5. Marvin

But it depends on what the other teams with cap are looking to do, but with the Rockets current situation, I think we have to get on the phone with Artest ASAP, he is the one guy I'd absolutely LOVE on the Raptors.

I'm not big on Ariza to be honest, throw Gordon on that list if you want to as well... IMO all we need is a 2nd option, and how do we have too many shooters? If we lose Kapono AND AP we lost our 2 best shooters lol. Anyways, we just need a guy who we can give the ball to on the wing and get us a basket, a guy besides Bosh who can produce for himself. Maybe Bargs will be that this year but I don't wanna take that chance... my list goes as follows for who I'd want ideally:

1. Artest

2. Gordon

3. Hedo

4. Odom

5. Marvin

But it depends on what the other teams with cap are looking to do, but with the Rockets current situation, I think we have to get on the phone with Artest ASAP, he is the one guy I'd absolutely LOVE on the Raptors.

Shooters will be Jose, Andrea, Parker (I think he will come back for a year or two), and Delfino (who is prolly coming back). Bosh can shoot the ball well from just inside as well.

If you bring in Gordon its another guard we will have who will get destroyed on the defensive side. We have Calderon who tries his best, but it isn't enough. I would love to have a scorer but I don't think Gordon is the right fit. he is a type of player who needs the ball in his hand to produce, and is trigger ready. He is also a streaky player, if we were gonna waste money like that on Gordon, id rather have Hedo.

Im not high on Ariza either but anything can help the raptors. His defense which is above average, who still make a HUGE impact with toronto. A great hustler player.