Possible big men the Wizards could obtain this offseason?

Well the Wizards traded their second round pick for cash, so this could mean one of two things.

1. The Wizards just don't need another player on their roster.

2. They are trying to stack up on cash to increase the possibility of signing/trading for a quality big man.

There are a few names flouting around free agency and trading blocks. Two names that came to mind that could really help us out were Marcus Camby and Antonio McDyess. We need to unload Mike James's contract, and I would love to get rid of Deshawn Stevenson. Packaging them together with maybe one more player could more than easily land us a quality big man. Thoughts?

Well if we do decide to trade for a starting big man (which seems pretty evident at this point with the recent moves), we will be moving Mike Miller and Mike James, two expiring contracts (Miller: 9 mill, James:6 mill). I would love to go after Chris Kaman or Camby, they would give us a reliable post presence.

I do think Haywood is being overlooked a lot, if you watched him play prior to his injury, he was playing at a high level, much to the liking of Eddie Jordan and Ernie Grunfeld. He will be guaranteed the starting spot if they decide to stay content with their roster, he was great on defense, and was developing a solid hook shot in the paint. I think he will do well in Flip's offense.

My only problem with Haywood is his soft hands, I'd prefer a big man who could be somewhat effective on the offensive end as well. Since the Wizards have a "sooner rather than later" attitude for this season, Camby should be the top priority this offseason.

If the Wizards are going to go out and sign a big man, then it will probably be for the veteran's minimum and no more than that. Abe's a pretty cheap owner and won't go over the tax, even adding a piece to a championship contender. Antonio McDyess is one of the top targets for the Wizards. His salary is less than a million, he's played under Flip Saunders for years and he can really help the Wizards on the defensive and rebounding end.

Ernie may also try to package Mike James' expiring contract and a future pick to bring in a big man off the bench.

ie' date='29 June 2009 - 05:57 PM' timestamp='1246316252' post='3622']

If the Wizards are going to go out and sign a big man, then it will probably be for the veteran's minimum and no more than that. Abe's a pretty cheap owner and won't go over the tax, even adding a piece to a championship contender. Antonio McDyess is one of the top targets for the Wizards. His salary is less than a million, he's played under Flip Saunders for years and he can really help the Wizards on the defensive and rebounding end.

Ernie may also try to package Mike James' expiring contract and a future pick to bring in a big man off the bench.

Abe isn't a cheap owner. He openly agreed that he would go into the luxury tax without hesitation if it meant we could bring in a quality player or two. I agree that McDyess would be a great addition to our team however, especially since he isn't asking for a lot.

He was always competing with Etan for minutes as it was, and even then he was still starting. I can't imagine if he was forced to come off the bench and share bench minutes with McGee and Blatche. Why wouldn't he throw a fit?