Cavs Interested In Villanueva, Rasheed, McDyess

According to sources, Charlie Villanueva will be one of Cleveland's free-agent targets when teams are allowed to speak with them Wednesday.

The Cavs have their mid-level exception, expected to be around $5.6 million to $5.8 million, to offer in the first year of a contract. Villanueva's qualifying offer would have been $4.6 million. His salary last season was $3.4 million. Several teams with more salary cap space, such as the Detroit Pistons and Oklahoma City Thunder, might have interest in Villanueva.

Cleveland is also expected to pursue Rasheed Wallace and Antonio McDyess.

http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/60176/20090629/cavs_interested_in_villanueva_rasheed_mcdyess/

I think the best SG/SF for the dollar that's now unrestricted is Marquis Daniels. Good on ball defender, good rebounder, gets his baskets inside the arc. He is not a good perimeter shooter, but Cleveland doesn't need him to be. He would be able to be the first guard off the bench and provide instant playability for the team. Delonte and Mo could handle the point guard duties, with *cough* *cough* Gibson playing a LIMITED role. He would be the option A for the guard position. If they have a shot to get Villanueva, and its unlikely that MD takes the LLE offer, then Grant Hill or Parker would be their next option. If they got Daniels, though, I would imagine seeing either Channing Frye or Chris Wilcox come to Cleveland as well.

Actually I'm beginning to want Charlie on our team. He'd be like a younger version of Z as he can shoot mid-range and from the 3 and would be the great equalizer to Shaq. Also, he and Mo are good buddies.

Best case scenario is Danny Green plays in the rotation, we sign Charlie and re-sign Joe Smith and sign a cheap backup shooting guard such as Desmond Mason.

I underestimated Charlie and overrated Verajao. I think Verajao is more of a financial guy and cares more about that than staying here also. It's be too fantasy-like if we resigned him to so I'm t thinking realistically.