Performance Enhancing Drugs

AboveLegit

One thing I can't understand is although Performance Enhancing Drugs (PED) are so relevant and rampantly used but, at the same time, is unethical and unacceptable in other sports, it is hardly given any attention in the basketball world.

Not that I am saying that I am in favor or against the use of performance enhancing drugs. I wish to reserve that opinion to myself...in the meantime.

What IF, and I mean IF, a major basketball superstar who is still active like say Shaquille O'Neal or Lebron James or Dwight Howard (I am only using the names as examples for the sake of argument) would be determined to have been using performance enhancing drugs? Would that tarnish their accomplishments? Would they be "crucified" by the media and the public like Barry Bonds in baseball? I am just curious.

And aside from that, I would like to solicit your thoughts on the following:

1. How much do you think will performance enhancing drugs (PED) affect the game of a basketball player?

2. Will a PED scandal severely affect the NBA the same way it has wreaked havoc on MLB?

3. Who is your favorite NBA player, Shaq, Kobe, Lebron, Wade, who? IF (hypothetically) he is found out to be using PED, what should be done to him?

4. Do you think that the NBA should start testing its athletes for PED? Why?

5. Finally, let's just say, WHAT IF Michael Jordan was found to have used PED during his playing years, should he be reviled? Should his records be erased? Should an asterisk be placed beside his name and his records and awards?

• Like 1

Good thread.

1. How much do you think will performance enhancing drugs (PED) affect the game of a basketball player?

Well besides the obvious of healing faster and less injuries or whatever, I don't think it affects a basketball player as much as a baseball player. I mean the added strength in baseball allows players to hit the ball further than they had before, can turn a decent hitter into a power hitter, and has tainted home run records. On top of that because of the healing and injury reducing ability of PEDs, pitcher's arms can recover faster in between games. In basketball though, it doesn't matter how strong you are (sure it helps), if you don't have the ability and skill, PEDs won't help you much anyways. PEDs won't help you shoot better, dribble better, or anything along those lines. I'm not saying I'm for them at all, I hate 'em, but I'm just saying I don't think they get as much attention in the NBA as they do the MLB because PEDs affect player's performances more in the MLB.

2. Will a PED scandal severely affect the NBA the same way it has wreaked havoc on MLB?

Not at all. Kinda because what I said above. I don't think it affects a player's performance as much as it does in the MLB.

3. Who is your favorite NBA player, Shaq, Kobe, Lebron, Wade, who? IF (hypothetically) he is found out to be using PED, what should be done to him?

I think it's different for the player. I mean PEDs would have more of an affect on Shaq's style of game than on Kobe's just due to the fact Shaq's game involved/involves more physical strength and contact than Kobe's does. So if they both took them, I think Shaq would get looked at more negatively by the media and fans than Kobe. I do think it's just as bad for both of them though. I don't know what should be done. You've got to make it a big enough deal so players will at least think before using it.

I thought they did stuff like that already during physicals and stuff? I mean I'm sure not to the extent the MLB does, but I thought they tested for the more obvious PEDs.

5. Finally, let's just say, WHAT IF Michael Jordan was found to have used PED during his playing years, should he be reviled? Should his records be erased? Should an asterisk be placed beside his name and his records and awards?

Yes and no. No matter how many PEDs you take, you won't be a Michael Jordan, at the same time, it would leave a taint mark in the back of my mind whenever I talk about him.

Not enough knowledge on PEDs to answer that.

It depends, should a scandal arise, hopefully things will go differently with the NBA. There shouldn't be testing that players are promised will be kept confidential. We're seeing what's happening with the 2003 MLB list, three names are leaked, those players are attacked, but we can't just let out the rest of the names and say goodbye to the 'roid era because of the deal. That, along with other factors, has contributed to a 6-year old problem still very alive and has, in many people's eyes, damaged the game.

I guess there should be a consistent suspension system similar to the MLB's, and it should also be based on the effects of the banned PEDs.

Well they've already started, but they should continue. Athletes may have learned their lesson about PEDs to an extent, but in the last few weeks, I've heard three athletes say they were not careful with the supplements they were taking.

Well that is based on a lot of things: the effects of PEDs in the NBA, whether a scandal has risen and other players have also been found taking PEDs, etc.

PEDs don't help with skills, first and foremost. Basketball takes a lot of skill, from all positions, in multiple different scenarios. Ben Wallace may not have the offensive skill, but his defensive skill, box out techniques, and general defensive awareness can't be gained using PED. Neither can it affect the offensive skill of Paul Pierce, on the perimeter or in the post.

What they are affecting are mostly on the workout, recovery, and muscle gaining side of the game. I have to think, though, that a good number of players are using them, especially those guys that are borderline, trying to stay relevant and trying to get that contract. The big dogs just have to keep doing what they're doing. Those other guys have to go above and beyond.

I don't think so. With baseball you can link PEDs to hitting and pitching (or throwing in general), which are the main focuses of the sport. Of course they won't help you hit a baseball better, or throw a baseball with more accuracy, but the public opinion is that they help with hitting distance and throwing distance/speed. With basketball you can't really link it to aspects of the sport itself. It's such a smaller playing field that you don't really have room for error in shooting or passing like you do in throwing accuracy and hitting placement (i.e., hitting to left field, right field, shortstop, etc.).

Kobe's my favorite player, but, no matter who it was, I think it depends on the "timing." If it was not banned while they were taking it, I wouldn't really have too much of a problem. You look at that baseball player Bronson Arroyo. He's popping pills left and right. As long as they aren't banned when you are taking them, then I don't think anyone should really have a problem.

The leagues have to wise up and believe that if a few players are found to be doing it, there's going to be a lot more that were doing it that just haven't been found out.

I thought they already did testing, but you probably want to follow the IOC standard a little bit. If we're talking so much about international competition and everything, all leagues in all countries should be doing the same tests and the same bans.

Same as #3, it depends on what it was he was taking, when he was taking it, and if it was banned at the time.