Memphis Grizzlies Front Office Sending Mixed Messages

La Bomba

Last season, the Memphis Grizzlies had a devastating Achilles Heel, their defense. The team had the potential star scorers with Gay, Mayo, and possibly Conley, but their lack luster and inconsistent defense made the team loose games that should not have been lost.

The front office’s focus going into the off-season was improving the defense that gave them so many headaches last season.

When lady luck finally gave the Grizzlies a break in the draft by giving them the No. 2 pick, the management weighed its options and decided to go with University of Connecticut’s defensive anchor, Hasheem Thabeet.

To most draft experts, there were players available that were much more polished than Thabeet and could make an impact much more quickly than Thabeet will, but there was no player in this draft class that could lead the defense the way Thabeet potentially can.

Personally, I am not a fan of the pick, but I can see where the team’s decision comes from.

As the draft went on, two more players primarily known for their defense were drafted in DeMarre Carroll with the No. 27 pick and Sam Young with the No. 36 pick.

In the press conference introducing the team’s new rookies, general manager Chris Wallace mentioned repeatedly that the team’s biggest need was defense and the players drafted did just that

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/235102-memphis-grizzlies-front-office-sending-mixed-messages

Memphis is looking like a great young team. OKC and the Grizzlies will be great teams in 4-6 years. The Grizzlies will probably take a bit longer though because of financial reasons, but overall I think they're going to be great in the near future.