Can the Thunder make it?

• Owner

Do you believe the Thunder will sneak into the playoffs this upcoming season?

Durant, Westbrook, Green, Harden, Krstic

Is that enough to snag an eighth seed?

Lakers, Spurs, Mavericks, Nuggets, Hornets, Jazz, Blazers...maybe all playoff locks.

Clippers, Suns, Warriors, Thunder, Grizzlies, Rockets, Wolves, Kings...all remaining teams for that 8th and final spot.

I don't think so, the West is just too strong right now. With the teams you mentioned before: Lakers, Spurs, Mavericks, Nuggets, Hornets, Jazz, Blazers, they're all basically guaranteed the top 7 spots. The Clippers, Suns, and Warriors IMO have the highest chance at acquiring the 8th seed. The 2 teams in that group that don't snag it would most likely get the next 2. So therefore, I don't even see the Thunder as a top 10 team in the West yet. In the near future, yes. Right now, no.

• Owner

I would be worried about James Harden becoming a good player. If he does, you have a very good player in Durant, three good players in Westbrook, Harden and Green, and if there's a way to add a big man in free agency next offseason (ex. Bosh), man...the Thunder will be NBA champs, eventually, and that's assuming everyone stays with the team (and with Bird Rights, and Clay Bennett's wallet, I don't see why not).

I can see Harden being a very good player... the only thing could be of concern is there's only one ball. Durant is an automatic 25ppg and imo is a 30ppg player this season... but Westbrook is going to take more shots and Green also would want more shots if he's going to get a nice extension.

They have a good coach (former Nugget assistant Brooks), hopefully things work out for them. For chemistry they need to develop I wouldn't put them ahead of Lakers, Nuggets, Spurs, Mavs, Blazers, Hornets yet... so there are two spots for grabs. Jazz face uncertainty with Boozer and can Millsap fill the void as a starter? Suns and Rockets are definitely on decline, Clippers have some of the laziest players (Davis, Camby) and I don't think they're as good or even close to Thunder. They should be able to make the playoffs as a 7th or 8th seed.

I actually think that they would be better off not making the playoffs next season which would give them one more lottery pick. The only real hole the Thunder have in their lineup as of right now is at center (I would imagine they are going to keep Green at PF) and next years draft class has some very good big men depth. I like Kristic and all, but he is better suited to be coming off of the bench and isn't a physical center that the Thunder need.

If the Thunder can manage to get somebody like Cole Aldrich or Soloman Alabi (a project, but would give them the long, shot blocking, athletic defensive center that would be absolutely perfect) they would be an absolutely scary team heading forward. Durant, Harden, Green and Westbrook would provide you with one of the most potent and versatile offensive foursome as all of them are capable of handling the ball as well as scoring it and a guy like Alabi or Aldrich would be able to just sit back and play defense without having to worry about producing on the offensive end of the floor. Obviously Alabi would have to put on some muscle as he is pretty skinny and doesn't have an NBA body as of right now, although he is 7'1 and has an absurd 9'1 wingspan, but Aldrich is like 6'11 and 250 so I don't think that he would be bullied too much in the paint.

I don't know if either of these two players will enter the draft next season or what though, so this is just speculation. I would imagine that both of them will though because they most likely would be lottery picks.

Oh yeah, one thing that I forgot is that the Thunder actually hold Phoenix's unprotected 1st round pick from the Kurt Thomas trade. They may even be able to address the need for a big man with that pick, depending on where it will fall.

There is also the option of signing a big man via free agency in 2010 which may be the best route to go as the Thunder might be better off having an experienced big man in the lineup rather than adding another young player at center.

I don't know, I think that the Thunder would benefit a great deal from another season in the lottery. If they get a top 10 pick, along with getting Phoenix's 1st rounder (mid 1st round I would assume) they could put theirselves in the postition to do some serious damage heading forward.

Edited by Built Ford Tough

• Owner

Great points, Sean. I'm just not sure about the team tanking, though...as in, the players accepting that.

But as I mentioned, and you elaborated on, the free agent market will be filled with some talented bigs. What happens if Amare or Bosh go to Oklahoma City?

C - Amare

PF - Green

SF - Durant

SG - Harden

PG - Westbrook

That's pretty damn scary, especially watching Durant's game improve significantly over just a year's time.

I gotta admit, if the Lakers don't win it all in 2010-11, I'd be rooting for the Thunder to take it (if they got that far). Finally having a local team to root for in 78 of their games...it's pretty nice.

Only problem is, I would think the playoffs pan out like this, for this season:

WEST

1) Lakers

2) Spurs

3) Nuggets

4) Mavericks

5) Suns

6) Hornets

7) Jazz

8) Thunder

EAST

1) Cavaliers

2) Magic

3) Celtics

4) Hawks

5) Raptors

6) Heat

7) Bulls

8) Bobcats

It would absolutely suck for me, since I would have to root against the Thunder. :(

So, yep...haha, maybe they'll get Bosh in 2010, and have a higher seed after that.

^Why 78?

Remember they also have two nice project bigs: Serge Ibaka and BJ Mullens. If one becomes a 10 rpg player and another a shot blocker... they're going to be dangerous.

Regarding Harden, I can't see him being a bust. He has great fundamentals and plays within team system. Even if he never lives up to expectations, and becomes a role player, they're still dangerous.

If these rookies never live up to the hype, they become quality role players around Durant and Westbrook, and that's all right.

^Why 78?

I would imagine that Brandon would be cheering for the Lakers during the 4 times that they play the Thunder. (I'm assuming they play each other 4 times)

And Brandon, I agree with what you said in your last post. I wasn't implying that I believe the Thunder should tank the season or anything. I was just saying that it might prove to be better in the long run for the Thunder if they happened to miss the playoffs this season and got one of the highly regarded big men in this years draft as a result. I definitely think that they should do their best to make the playoffs though because it would give their youngsters valuable experience heading forward.

In my opinion, the Thunder are in a position where they can do no wrong this season. If they make the playoffs, great. If not, they add yet another piece to the puzzle and they would basically be set at every single position with good young talent. If they aren't interested in adding a young big man to the mix, they could always package their first rounder and maybe even the Suns first rounder that they own for an experienced big man from a team that is looking to either shed some salary or rebuild.

Whatever happens though, I have complete faith in Sam Presti. I absolutely love the work that he has done since taking over as GM. As a fan of the Thunder (second favourite team as well) I have complete confidence in Presti and expect him to make the right moves to take the Thunder to the next level.

Edited by Built Ford Tough

I actually think that they would be better off not making the playoffs next season which would give them one more lottery pick. The only real hole the Thunder have in their lineup as of right now is at center (I would imagine they are going to keep Green at PF) and next years draft class has some very good big men depth. I like Kristic and all, but he is better suited to be coming off of the bench and isn't a physical center that the Thunder need.

If the Thunder can manage to get somebody like Cole Aldrich or Soloman Alabi (a project, but would give them the long, shot blocking, athletic defensive center that would be absolutely perfect) they would be an absolutely scary team heading forward. Durant, Harden, Green and Westbrook would provide you with one of the most potent and versatile offensive foursome as all of them are capable of handling the ball as well as scoring it and a guy like Alabi or Aldrich would be able to just sit back and play defense without having to worry about producing on the offensive end of the floor. Obviously Alabi would have to put on some muscle as he is pretty skinny and doesn't have an NBA body as of right now, although he is 7'1 and has an absurd 9'1 wingspan, but Aldrich is like 6'11 and 250 so I don't think that he would be bullied too much in the paint.

I don't know if either of these two players will enter the draft next season or what though, so this is just speculation. I would imagine that both of them will though because they most likely would be lottery picks.

Oh yeah, one thing that I forgot is that the Thunder actually hold Phoenix's unprotected 1st round pick from the Kurt Thomas trade. They may even be able to address the need for a big man with that pick, depending on where it will fall.

There is also the option of signing a big man via free agency in 2010 which may be the best route to go as the Thunder might be better off having an experienced big man in the lineup rather than adding another young player at center.

I don't know, I think that the Thunder would benefit a great deal from another season in the lottery. If they get a top 10 pick, along with getting Phoenix's 1st rounder (mid 1st round I would assume) they could put theirselves in the postition to do some serious damage heading forward.

This is extremely nit-picky, but his wingspan is 7'3", not 9'1". That's his standing reach. I'm reading through his profile on nbadraft.net and saw that and remembered this post you made.

I don't see Oklahoma City making the playoffs this season. All seven teams that Real Deal listed are locks to make the postseason, and the competition looks too tough for the Thunder to slide past and grab the 8th seed. However, they don't have very many weaknesses throughout the roster: Durant is already an established scorer in the league, and Jeff Green and Russell Westbrook were productive as second and third options last season. I view James Harden as a great complement to Kevin Durant because of his intangibles and versatile skillset. He seems very mature and should adjust to the NBA quicker than most rookies.

Nick Collison and Nenad Krstic are solid, but not spectacular. This is a team that will be run through the perimeter scorers, but Collison is a consistent double-double threat, and Krstic can be a nice 4th-5th option on offense as well as providing a long shot blocking presence in the middle. OKC is loaded with versatility, scoring threats, and quality role players. Player development will play a big part in how far they go this year, and though we should see big results (I predict around 40 wins -- 17 more than last year), I don't think they can hang with the veteran teams of the West.

Regarding the draft, I don't see them getting a top five pick. The Thunder and Suns will both contend for the playoffs, and should be picking around 10-14 each. I see six players (Durant, Green, Westbrook, Harden, Krstic, and Collison) that should be rotational players for some time, so with two possible lottery picks they can add a backup point guard and a big man. Thabo Sefolosha is good swingman that can add perimeter defense behind James Harden and Kevin Durant. Greg Monroe, Cole Aldrich, Craig Brackins, and Solomon Alabi are all possibilities to add a third big man to the rotation. NBADraft.net lists Kemba Walker and Sherron Collins as the best point guards after John Wall.

With a lineup of:

PG: Westbrook | Collins/Walker

SG: Harden | Sefolosha

SF: Durant | Green

PF: Green | Monroe

C: Krstic | Collison

it would be pretty hard to stop the Thunder. I see Green having a Lamar Odom-like role with the Thunder, but with Krstic, Collison, and Monroe in the post, he should probably be starting. They create a lot of matchup problems with this group, and have great depth and versatility with the lineups. Monroe at center with Green running the 4 would give them a very athletic lineup at times.

This is extremely nit-picky, but his wingspan is 7'3", not 9'1". That's his standing reach. I'm reading through his profile on nbadraft.net and saw that and remembered this post you made.

Yeah my bad on that. I thought that I went back and edited it after I originaly posted it because when I read 9'1 wingspan I thought what the hell, that can't be right lol. I guess I didn't edit it though haha. Thanks for pointing that out.

As for your comments on Collins and Walker, I think that it would be a bit of reach to take both of those players in the mid lottery (unless they have superb seasons). Even if the Thunder are looking to add a point guard, I wouldn't go so far down the draft board to get one nor would I really want to spend a lottery pick in a relatively strong draft (at least a strong lottery) on a backup player that will only see about 20 minutes a game for me. This is assuming that their pick and the Suns pick are in the low teens.

The big man is a definite necessity and I agree with you on that (although I think that a true, defensive minded, physical center would be ideal and not the more offensive oriented Monroe) but I would much rather see the Thunder take the best player available with their second pick (again, assuming it is lottery) rather than going way off of the board to draft a point guard. If they are set on drafting a point, they would be better off trading down a bit and possibly adding another piece.

All of this draft talk is way too premature though considering how much things will change between now and next years draft. All of this speculation is basically us just grasping straws at this point.

To be honest though, I would rather see them try and get an experienced point guard to backup Westbrook. Somebody like a Derek Fisher, Steve Blake or a Luke Ridnour would be ideal for me. I think that having an experienced, steady, veteran point guard to run the offense and make smart decisions with the ball would be more effective than having an inexperienced, young point guard as the backup. I like the youth that the Thunder have and will have after this upcoming season, but there is such thing as too much youth, at least in my opinion, if you know what I mean.