Who should start? Miller, Foye, or Deshawn?

JWaLL

The assumption has been that Miller will occupy the starting 2 guard spot, but according to Flip, nothing is guaranteed yet. He will use training camp to analyze who is best suited for that position. Every player has their own pros and cons for starting. This is how I see it:

Mike Miller

Pros:

Lights out 3 point shooter

Decent height advantage

Great offensive IQ, makes smart decisions

Probably the best perimeter weapon, he will be one of Gilbert's favorite targets when running the point

Cons:

Lacks an all around defensive game, weak perimeter defender

Not an aggressive driver to the rim

Randy Foye

Pros:

Decent perimeter shooter

Aggressive when driving into the paint

Combo guard, can play a true point guard and shooting guard

Decent lockdown defender. Not great, but he can get the job done

Very athletic and explosive

Cons:

Doesn't have the greatest size for a 2 guard

Plays a lot like Gilbert, and having two combo guards running the backcourt could cause some offensive confusion

Isn't really a weapon, likes to create his own shot. Again, Gilbert is the same way, and having to players like that could potentially lessen effective ball movement

Deshawn Stevenson

Pros:

Great perimeter shooter

Great lockdown defender, guards the star player on the opposing team (guards and small forwards obviously)

Has proven to be effective in the clutch (although that doesn't really apply to starting)

Is an effective offensive weapon, he can get open to take a 3 pointer if whoever is running the point can get him open

Cons:

Can't create his own shot

Not great at getting to the rim

Average ball handler

Offensive IQ is sometimes questionable

Just came off of back surgery, performing like his old self is questionable

The cons I mentioned for Foye regarding him and Gilbert being similar players isn't necessarily bad. The only reason I made it a con is that it is going to require them both to have a lot of chemistry between each other to be effective on the floor together. They have to know who is going to be the weapon and who is going to be running the floor. It almost seems like it is going to require a lot of experimenting, but has the potential to be a fantastic guard combo.

In my honest opinion though, I think Miller should start at the 2. He seems to be the best "weapon" between the 3 of them, and Foye would probably be best suited for bringing energy off of the bench. For Deshawn, however, I personally think his minutes should be reduced a lot this season, and most of those extra minutes left for the two guards should go to Nick Young. I just don't see Deshawn playing like his old "lockdown defender + 3 point shooter" self after coming off of such a big surgery.

Without a doubt in my mind, I'd start Miller. He's a fantastic offensive player, a somewhat decent defender, obviously not good at it but he doesn't totally lack it. He's a veteran that will instantly help the Wiz.

Gilbert, Miller, Butler, Jamison, Haywood/JaVale (either, it doesn't matter). That's a deadly offensive lineup, and then having Foye coming off the bench too, very nice.

Dr. Feelgood, it definitely does matter who starts at center. The Wizards would be absurd to not start Haywood. He is undoubtedly the best interior defender that they have on the team and he is actually a pretty vital part of the team. McGee can't defend worth [expletive] at this point and opposing bigs would absolutely go to town on McGee down low. Having Haywood in the starting lineup is an absolute necessity if you ask me. The Wizards need his size, toughness and defensive presence down there.

As for who should start at shooting guard, it is Miller no questions ask. The only other option I would even consider is Stevenson due to his defense, but to be perfectly honest, I think that Stevenson is vastly overrated as a defender. He is good, but he is sure as hell not a lockdown defender and definitely not as good as I have seen some people make him out to be. Having him on the floor gives you an upgrade defensively, but it would hardly be noticable.

Miller gives you a viable offensive weapon. He can shoot, slash, create for himself and others, is great without the ball in his hands and just has a very good offensive awareness. He isn't as bad defensively as some people make him out to be (he isn't a good defender by any means, but he is not a liability like people try to make him out to be) and can at least bother the opposing player that he is guarding. Miller is quite simply the best option to start at shooting guard.

Last year I wished we had more depth, and this year I wish we had less. I feel bad for Foye and Young...they won't get much playing time.

I want Miller to start, with Foye backing him up. Young can be backup SF, and Stevenson can be backup PG.

By the way, guys, Miller is actually a pretty darn good defender. He may not be the best athlete, but he's really tough.

If Young was a little stronger, I'd be fine with him being the backup small forward. And Miller actually isn't a good lockdown defender. His lack of quickness and speed keeps him from containing athletic guards and small forwards. It's not that he's lazy on defense, because we know he's really tenacious and tough on both ends of the floor. It's just his lack of athleticism. I hate to say it, but I really don't think Young is ready for a lot of minutes yet now that Foye is here. Foye is deserving of sixth man minutes. He should easily get at least 23-25 minutes per game.

Stevenson is probably the main cause for this minutes conflict. We should trade him and give Young more playing time. :D

i say just look at the name of the position and its obvious. miller is hands down the best shooter/scorer of the three and should start. but like you pointed out above, all those players have pros and cons. i just think if we want to win now, you don't bench a weapon like miller.

Lol Miller isn't a better scorer than Foye, but he's definitely a better compliment to Arenas on the court. That's why he'll undoubtedly get the starting spot.

Lol Miller isn't a better scorer than Foye, but he's definitely a better compliment to Arenas on the court. That's why he'll undoubtedly get the starting spot.

why isn't he a better scorer than foye?

foye's third year in the league he averaged 16.3 ppg, and miller's third year in the league he averaged 16.4 ppg. i wouldn't say one is hands down better than the other, so there's room for discussion. miller's career high in points is 45, and randy's is 36. still not that big a difference, but its not like randy has him beat. millers personal record for field goals made is 16, while foye's is 13. miller's personal best for three pointers made in one game is 9, while foye's is 6. for his career miller is 46% from the floor 40% from three and foye is 42%from the field and 37% from three.

for you to just write lol foye is a better scorer with no justification just really doesnt make any sense

Edited by billt chamberlain

• Owner

You want Miller to start, because Foye can create his own shot. Miller would be an excellent spot-up shooter in a five including Arenas, Butler and Jamison. Bringing him off the bench, you'll have to depend on a scoring threat (and an able-bodied passer) to get him his 15 a game, and I'm not sure if that would happen in that scenario.

You want Miller to start, because Foye can create his own shot. Miller would be an excellent spot-up shooter in a five including Arenas, Butler and Jamison. Bringing him off the bench, you'll have to depend on a scoring threat (and an able-bodied passer) to get him his 15 a game, and I'm not sure if that would happen in that scenario.

exactly. foye is sort of in the same mold of arenas, in which he's a scorer that needs the ball in his hands to be effective. you can't have gil and gil jr both starting and expect the chemistry to be right, although i wouldn't mind seeing gil at the 2 and foye at the 1 in some situations. if we can depend on stevenson to play pg and gil play sg(done it plenty in the past) than im sure foye can do it. im a big supporter of jcritt so it pains me to say this, but i think our second unit should be something like this.

pg-foye

sg-young

sf-mcguire

pf-blatche

c- oberto.

that doesn't leave much minutes for critt, so maybe we can twerk it and have it like this sometimes

pg-jcritt

sg-foye

sf-young

pf-blatche

c-oberto

exactly. foye is sort of in the same mold of arenas, in which he's a scorer that needs the ball in his hands to be effective. you can't have gil and gil jr both starting and expect the chemistry to be right, although i wouldn't mind seeing gil at the 2 and foye at the 1 in some situations. if we can depend on stevenson to play pg and gil play sg(done it plenty in the past) than im sure foye can do it. im a big supporter of jcritt so it pains me to say this, but i think our second unit should be something like this.

pg-foye

sg-young

sf-mcguire

pf-blatche

c- oberto.

that doesn't leave much minutes for critt, so maybe we can twerk it and have it like this sometimes

pg-jcritt

sg-foye

sf-young

pf-blatche

c-oberto

I believe McGee will be called on over Oberto throughout the season for our second unit. Oberto won't be playing much.

PG: Foye

SG: Young

SF: McGuire

PF: Blatche

C: McGee

Critt, James, and Oberto could potentially see multiple games without any floor time. The fourth player who could potentially be in the same boat as the previous three will be between McGuire and Deshawn. I'm hoping it will be Deshawn that is benched, but my gut feeling is telling me that McGuire will be placed in the same position as Critt, James, and Oberto.

• 1 month later...

Miller sounds like a better bet for a win but i sure like to see Foye playing side by side with Arenas.

And with regards to Stevenson, sorry Stevenson fans out there but I felt that he's pretty much overrated at times? is it because of his injury or not i'm not too sure about that actually.

like many have mention the only person i am feeling for is Nick Young, I like this young man, i like him and i see the potential in him but i felt he might have too little mins to perform.

I'm a young NBA fan, so just my 2 cent worth !