Raptors Close To Deal For Amir Johnson

Doc

The Raptors are close to finalizing a deal to send Carlos Delfino and point guard Roko Ukic in a two-for-two deal with the Milwaukee Bucks involving Amir Johnson, according to sources.

The second player coming back to Toronto is unknown.

The deal is expected to be completed later on Monday or Tuesday.

http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/61172/20090817/raptors_close_to_deal_for_amir_johnson/

The second player coming to Toronto is apperantly Sonny Weems, like The Garbage Man said.

Eh, this trade is a lateral movement in my opinion. The Raptors really don't get much better with the addition of Johnson, nor do they get any worse. He is nothing more than an athlete at this point in his career and he can barley play 10 minutes without picking up 4 fouls. He has potential and Ukic was not needed with Calderon and Jack already on the team so they might as well have traded him for a player with potential at a different position.

Whatever though, this trade does nothing to make a difference next season for the Raptors. They traded one end of the bench player and the rights to Delfino for two end of the bench players. Unless Johnson shows something, he won't be back next year anyways.

The biggest shocker about this trade is the fact that Colangelo has just traded away two European players for two American players. I think that hell has just frozen over.

On a side note, unless I am mistaken, the only players from opening day of the 2008/09 season that are still left on the roster are Bosh, Bargnani and Calderon. Talk about a complete overhaul of the team lol.

Edited by Built Ford Tough

I heard Roko was complaining about his playing time last year, or lack there of -_- Anyways we already have like 5 PG's under contract but all we really did here is push ourselves closer to the luxury tax. This was an unnecessary deal IMO. This only makes sense if Pops isn't coming back.

• Owner

Sonny Weems is my boy. Put me on SportsCenter. :D

But he's not going to contribute much in the league or for the Raptors, and Amir is overpaid.

Then again, Toronto just found a way to get rid of Ukic (who, as Steve said above, was complaining) and Delfino.

Not much to say about the deal. Definitely nothing to be excited about, for either team, although Toronto could use the size.

• Owner

Amir contract is up after this season. I think the Raptors save about 3 .6Mill. More money to keep Bosh or get another free agent.

Ah, had no idea. I figured Detroit gave him a longer contract, but I guess that wouldn't make sense, since they have been so geared on the 2010 free agent class.

The contract the Pistons gave him I think was only a 3 year 11 mill. Its a win-win, if he pans out, great move for the raptors,if not, they save some money. Delfino was not going to be used and Ukic was gonna be just benched most of the time. Hopefully he will be able to get some playing time. I been reading that he has been playing well this off season for Croatia.