Good choice?

whos better  

10 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I think Chandler is better, but the answer to your question is Okafor.

It's going to be a rude awakening for Tyson Chandler to no longer be playing with Chris Paul. By the same token, Okafor will get a huge lift.

Here's the thing: Chandler with no Paul is better than Okafor with no Paul; Charlotte still made the right choice.

• Owner

What? Chandler is not better than Emeka. Both are good defensive centers, but Okafor is the better offensive player.

Stick Tyson on a team where he's supposed to be the primary scoring option, and it'll become more clear. He's no Emeka on offense.

What? Chandler is not better than Emeka. Both are good defensive centers, but Okafor is the better offensive player.

Stick Tyson on a team where he's supposed to be the primary scoring option, and it'll become more clear. He's no Emeka on offense.

Emeka frequently is lost on offense. He might finish at the basket after receiving a pass, but he has no dependable way to create for himself. He's plagued by shaky footwork, poor ballhandling, and an unreliable jumpshot.

But here's the biggest thing: Okafor is possibly the worst passer in the league. I'm thinking of Eddy Curry, Kwame Brown and the like, but Okafor is so bad that it looks like he can't really be trying to get the ball to a teammate.

I love my Suns, but the Bobcats are the local team (I suppose you could relate). I've seen a lot of Okafor, including a dozen games from the Time Warner Cable Arena in Charlotte. Chandler is no Dikembe Mutombo, but Okafor is a deeply flawed player. I'll take the lanky 7-footer.

While I do wish he was a better passer, Tyson isn't exactly Vlade Divac.

All Emeka really needs to do is catch passes and score, on a limited basis. 90% of the Hornets offense consists of perimeter passing and penetration, until someone gets open. There are a lot of catch-and-shoot opportunities for guys, but for Emeka it will be strictly from inside 6 or 8 feet, with maybe a third of his points coming from alley-oops. It's not like he'll never have to pass, but he won't have the ball coming to him often unless he's got a good chance to score.

While I do wish he was a better passer, Tyson isn't exactly Vlade Divac.

All Emeka really needs to do is catch passes and score, on a limited basis. 90% of the Hornets offense consists of perimeter passing and penetration, until someone gets open. There are a lot of catch-and-shoot opportunities for guys, but for Emeka it will be strictly from inside 6 or 8 feet, with maybe a third of his points coming from alley-oops. It's not like he'll never have to pass, but he won't have the ball coming to him often unless he's got a good chance to score.

Exactly. Therefore, inferior player but more impact.

• Owner

Well, I know Emeka has his flaws. I'm just saying that Chandler needs Paul more than Emeka does.

If you were to start a franchise with Emeka or Chandler as your franchise player, who are you taking? There's no way I'm taking Tyson Chandler unless I have Chris Paul or Andre Miller throwing him lobs.

Well, I know Emeka has his flaws. I'm just saying that Chandler needs Paul more than Emeka does.

If you were to start a franchise with Emeka or Chandler as your franchise player, who are you taking? There's no way I'm taking Tyson Chandler unless I have Chris Paul or Andre Miller throwing him lobs.

That would also be Okafor. But we're not talking about a new franchise; the Bobcats are a fair team, and the Hornets are pretty good. Chandler is a better add-on player because he's better at offensive rebounding, setting screens, things that good players love to play beside.

My turn for a hypothetical: If you could add one of them to your Lakers, which would it be? If I were you, Chandler would be the pick.

Exactly. Therefore, inferior player but more impact.

I agree with the latter half of that, but I still think Emeka is the better player. I feel like he's a better defender, with less athleticism, and a better scorer down low, albeit raw.

Emeka. Can do everything Chandler can without nearly the health risk and more of an offensive game. CP3 completely made TC what he is. I'd be shocked if he puts up any season near his top in NO for the Bobcats unless Augustin develops very well very quickly.

• 4 weeks later...

I think Okafor will do good with the Hornets. He finally locks down a position, on the Bobcats they kept changing him up from PF to Center and he never really developed a full identitiy as a player. Hopefully the Hornets change that.

They are still lacking a SG position, and they really need to get Wright some more minutes.