A Look Back at the Class of 06: Part One- The Busts

BlueDevil

10 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

The 2006 draft had a bunch of potential, but not too many “all-star” caliber players. Of the sixty players drafted that year, only one has made it to an all-star game.

The draft created much speculation as to who would be the number one pick, and if the Raptors could go back in time, they would no doubt choose differently.

This will be a three part outlook on the best, the worst, and the middle men of the 2006 NBA draft. Check back for parts two and three.

The Busts:

Adam Morrison- Picked Third Overall:

What a waste of a pick. Charlotte used the third pick in the draft to take a college star. He began his career as a starter, but lost his spot due to terrible defense.

He lost the 2007 season because of a torn ACL, and subsequently vanished. Upon his return to the Bobcats, he had lost his nerve, and Coach Larry Brown cut his minutes. He was later traded to the Lakers.

This will always be the case with Morrison; a great college player and a terrible NBA guard. Now that he’s with the Lakers, it is almost certain the only place we will see Morrison is at the end of the bench.

Shelden Williams- Picked Fifth Overall:

“The Landlord” falls under the same category as Morrison. Williams had a great college career, becoming the 3rd player in ACC history to have 1500 points, 1000 rebounds, and 350 blocks.

Picked 5th by the Atlanta Hawks, Williams also began his career as a starter, but soon found himself unable to play center in this league. He is in the same mould as Ben Wallace, but nowhere near as athletic.

The only value he gave to the Hawks was being in the trade that brought Mike Bibby to town.

He is currently with the Boston Celtics, acting as insurance in case Garnett, Rasheed, and Big Baby all go down with injuries.

At least he is married to Candice Parker, the most dominant player in the WNBA.

Patrick O’Bryant- Picked Ninth Overall:

Patrick O’Bryant has made the most of his impressive frame. As the 9th pick in the NBA draft, Golden State felt that they could use his frame to add defense to their fast break style of play. He was considered a pick that needed work, and three years later very little has changed.

Still known as a shot blocker, his offense is truly horrid. He is unable to dominate even at the D-League level, but may always find a role on a team hoping for a big who can grab the occasional rebound and block.

He is currently playing for the Raptors, mainly as a practice body.

Mouhamed Sene- Picked Tenth Overall:

The definition of a player based on potential and not talent. Sene was taken 10th overall by the Seattle Supersonics (now the Oklahoma City Thunder) with hopes he could develop into a legitimate starting center in the league.

Known for his shot blocking abilities, Sene has been unable to get any playing time to show it off. In his three years, he has only played in 47 career games, starting in three.

He was unable to even start in the D-league, starting 5 of 28 games, although he did manage to be an All-NBA Developmental team honorable mention.

He now plays for the Knicks, one of the worst teams in the league, and a place he will continue to sit on the bench.

Hilton Armstrong- Picked Twelfth Overall:

This was a pick based on a player coming out of a strong school, along with a handful of his teammates. While teammate Rudy Gay has shown he has the ability to play in the NBA, Armstrong has proven very little.

He averages less than 13 minutes a game, and in 191 career games he has started only 29. Armstrong was drafted due to his athleticism and shot blocking ability, yet he averages only half a block a game.

His athleticism should flourish alongside Chris Paul, and that has yet to happen. For a center to average 2.7 rebounds a game is inexcusable.

He has become a serviceable backup in New Orleans, but he is not expected to be a starter for any NBA team.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/235819-a-look-back-at-the-class-of-06-part-one-the-busts

Edited by BlueDevil

That draft was a failure waiting to happen, You can't follow up a great draft class like the 05 one with another one. It's just not possible.

And Hilton just because he's beside one of the best Pg's in the game

Edited by Years

Ya I believe that Hilton is the one most likely to lose the bust label because he will get the most playing time, and he knows his role on the team. Plus, hes not as well known as someone like Morrison, who will be cursed throughout his career.

Edited by BlueDevil

I saw O'Bryant play against the Wolves (@ MN) when he was in a Celtics uniform. The Celtics were ahead big time and he didn't play well, at all. Poor guy didn't pull a good showing for his home state..

Every time I see him play for the Raps i cringe. I really thought he would pan out, especially after leaving GS. I guess not though

Every time I see him play for the Raps i cringe. I really thought he would pan out, especially after leaving GS. I guess not though

lol. He played against my high school (same conference). I really hope that he'll become a better player.

Edited by Lone Wolf

lol. He played against my high school (same conference). I really hope that he'll become a better player.

Thats pretty cool. I love it when ppl have played against NBA players. And as long as he can block shots, he should always find work in the NBA. Big guys seem to have that advantage.

Edited by BlueDevil