How would Usain Bolt do as a WR?

ChosenOne

Yes. You said basically what a WR does is run down the field. Bolt could do that, yes.

I said basically what a power hitter does is hit balls hard. Tiger could do that, yes.

But, when Bolt can't block 250 pound linebackers, or take a hit from someone who has just as much muscle as Bolt weighs in total, being a wide receiver is harder than it seems.

And when going from just hitting balls goes to hitting a 100 mph fastball, followed by a 75 mph curve ball, hitting home runs is harder than it seems.

Do you really think Bolt would be on the field, in the slot, blocking a strongside linebacker? The only reason he would be playing football is to run fly routes and streaks.

Kyle, as usual, you like to take EVERYTHING out of context to try and make a point that makes no sense.

He would not be blocking 250 pound LB's. :lol: .

And, for whoever said he would have to put on a 100 pounds of muscle, I hope you are joking because Randy Moss, Chris Henry, and other WR's in the NFL are the same size as Usain Bolt.

Learning to catch a football with while utilizing a talent that he has been doing his entire life at the same time is a much easier transition than being a golfer, hitting a stationary ball with a quiet crowd, to hitting 90+ MPH pitches, that aren't always in the same location, and don't always move the same way.

Again, you were just trying to take it out of context to try and make a point, but it was so far out of context that it made no sense.

can we all make a pact to ignore trutrojan? for obvious reasons

I would use him like Wes Welker

he cant run routes or catch though. and we dont know if he can cut or dodge defenders. sure he can sprint forward on a track, but it is so much different on a football field

we have all seen how devin hester is doing with receiver. its taking hester a few years to learn the position, and it would take bolt much longer then that since he has no football experience

but if you want a comparison, it is getting some figher/tough guy to play hockey or some 8' guy to play basketball. obviously they have a skill (or abnormal body size) that is far and beyond everyone else in the league, but that doesnt not mean they will dominate. there are so many other skills that are required to be good at any sport. just being fast/tall/tough will only get you so far

I would use him like Wes Welker

Wes Welker is like the the worst thing for usian bolt lol. Welker is a posession reciever whos not afraid to catch the ball anywhere on the field. Randy Moss is more like Usian Bolt

Bolt would probably have to put on a good 100 pounds of muscle if he wants to survive as a WR.

He's already 200 lbs., he'd only need to put on maybe 30 to survive a hit haha.

Although his body would fit as a TE better, but his speed would make him a Calvin Johnson type-receiver if he could catch.

Devin Hester had pretty lame hands catching passes his rookie year, now he's projected to be a what, 800 yard, 8 TD guy? If someone spent a few years with Bolt teaching him to catch, he could do it, but he might as well just break records sprinting.

btw, I heard on ESPN that in his 100 meter WR run, the first 40 yards took him 3.9 seconds. Wow, Chris Johnson is over a quarter of a second slower haha.

ESPN Fantasy projects him at 784 receiving yards, 104 rushing yards, and 6 TDs on offense (idk what they project him to have returning punts). If he has that many yards, he should have more TDs I'd say now that he has a real QB.

I'm not saying Bolt should become a WR, but given coaching and if he was dedicated he could pull it off to some extent. He clearly has athletic ability, I don't see why he couldn't catch a football.

ESPN Fantasy projects him at 784 receiving yards, 104 rushing yards, and 6 TDs on offense (idk what they project him to have returning punts). If he has that many yards, he should have more TDs I'd say now that he has a real QB.

I'm not saying Bolt should become a WR, but given coaching and if he was dedicated he could pull it off to some extent. He clearly has athletic ability, I don't see why he couldn't catch a football.

Eddie Royal had like 950 yards on 91 catches, and just 5 touchdowns, with the same "real QB" that Hester has.

And it's not just catching a football that Bolt has to do. I don't see why you guys don't get that. Smitty can catch a football too, but he's not in the NFL [that I know of].

WTF, I just read TT's post.

I played baseball for years, then decided to play golf because I had a better chance at a scholarship doing it, and I enjoy it just as much. Turns out Golf is more difficult that baseball for me by a long shot, and that's with me being the second ranked golfer at my school and #1 in my class. I could hit .500 in baseball (quit before HS or that wouldn't have stayed .500, but .300 would still be realistic), but in Golf shooting in the 70's is so hard, that I've never done it once let alone shoot under par.

Tiger can't hit a 375 yard drive on a normal hole, unless the fairway is dry and downhill nobody can do that (apart from the long drive contest guys, but their game consists of nothing more than hitting as far as they can with one club that they get used to).

I don't know how that relates, anyway, but I had to respond haha.

Eddie Royal had like 950 yards on 91 catches, and just 5 touchdowns, with the same "real QB" that Hester has.

And it's not just catching a football that Bolt has to do. I don't see why you guys don't get that. Smitty can catch a football too, but he's not in the NFL [that I know of].

Eddie Royal is slower, smaller, and was less of a target than Hester will be. He was an afterthought until Marshall went out, and then got the ball thrown to him more. Who does the Bears have to take catches away from Hester? Greg Olsen will be a redzone target but Hester is a deep ball threat. Royal played as a slot receiver most of the time.

I play baseball and golf too. Obviously it was an example of Tiger hitting the ball far, but Bolt couldn't run a 3.9 40 yard dash in pads, either.

Yeah, and Chris Johnson can't run the 40 in 4.2 seconds with pads on either. The point is, he's a good third of a second faster in the 40 (which is about a step for him I'd guess, enough to be open enough to catch a pass given any hands) than anyone that's going to be defending him. You'd have to sag so much in fear of the deep ball, or put a safety pretty much 25 yards off the LOS just waiting for him, or he'd catch a short pass (bringing him down would probably not be easy for a smaller corner). He could also run 20 yards and cut back, I mean the possibilities would be endless for someone of that speed. He'd have to learn to run routes and have someone teach him to catch the ball, but he could do it if given the opportunity I think.

That worked out great for Reggie Bush, huh? He could do all of those things, in college FOOTBALL. You can't just expect Bolt to do that, when he probably hasn't even played a down of unorganized football in his life.

Edited by trutrojan8

That worked out great for Reggie Bush, huh? He could do all of those things, in college FOOTBALL. You can't just expect Bolt to do that, when he probably hasn't even played a down of unorganized football in his life.

Bush is so much slower than Bolt, it's ridiculous. They can't be compared. Bolt is what, 5" taller than Bush? No comparison.

Like I said, I don't think he will, I don't think it would be smart for him to, but if he learned how to catch efficiently and practiced with pro coaches and players, he could do it. I'm not saying he'd be the second coming of 2007 Randy Moss, but he could score a couple TDs in a year and draw defenders away from other guys.