Blazers sign draft pick Dante Cunningham

http://cdn3.sbnation.com/photo_images/128424/65998_Trail_Blazers_Spurs_basketball_large.jpg

Blazers sign draft pick Dante Cunningham

PORTLAND, Ore. (AP)—The Portland Trail Blazers signed draft pick Dante Cunningham(notes) to a multiyear contract on Friday.

The 6-foot-8 power forward was the 33rd overall pick in the June draft out of Villanova. He averaged 16.1 points and 7.5 rebounds last season as a senior and was named the Big East’s most improved player.

“This is a dream come true and I can’t wait to get to work with my teammates,” Cunningham said in a statement. “I’m looking forward to moving to Portland and helping this team in any way that I can.”

He will wear No. 33 for the Blazers.

In four years at Villanova, Cunningham played in a school-record 139 games. He averaged 9.6 points, 5.9 rebounds and 1.17 steals over his career.

In the NBA’s summer league, Cunningham averaged 18.3 points and 5.8 rebounds for the Blazers. He brings the team’s current roster to 12 players.

“We are really excited about the versatility and determination Dante brings to our team,” Portland general manager Kevin Pritchard said. “Dante had a great summer league and we believe he has the potential to become a very good player in this league.”

---

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=Ahkqlfjm9UdU97rMGOwLCHe8vLYF?slug=ap-trailblazers-cunningham&prov=ap&type=lgns

• Owner

I'd rather they sign Patty Mills, but I guess he's more of a necessity..

Same here, because I think Mills can be a decent player coming off the bench for them, but with Andre Miller sneaking his way into Portland, I'm not sure just how much playing time Mills would get to begin with.