Iverson says Griz made offer Tuesday

La Bomba

Allen Iverson is back on Twitter, and his latest entry is all about Memphis.

The veteran guard wrote: "Well I am about to begin another workout session. Agent informed me that Memphis made us an offer on yesterday. Stay tuned."

UPDATE: Griz general manager Chris Wallace: "We have a strong level of interest in him and we've made that clear to him. But I'm not going to confirm or deny (Iverson's Twitter entry). ...The whole thing has been ongoing since the beginning of free agency. I think it'll reach a head over the next couple of weeks. I'd look for him to pick a team by then."

http://blogs.commercialappeal.com/the_memphis_edge/2009/08/iverson-says-griz-made-offer-tuesday.html

Just when I thought this [expletive] was done with.

No they wouldn't. Iverson can get you 15 points, he's not even close to what he was before. Conley would get around 14 this year if he started and he'll actually pass the ball. The Grizzlies would become the new Jail Blazers if they signed Iverson.

Edited by Poohdini

• Owner

I don't know, Adrian. I would jump on this deal. Iverson is still a 25 PPG scorer. Detroit was going to be a train wreck with or without Allen Iverson, especially after losing Billups and bringing in an inexperienced coach.

• Owner

Iverson was averaging 17 PPG before getting traded to Detroit. He isn't worth it IMO.

18.7 PPG in three games.

In 2007-08, he averaged 26.4 PPG on 45.8% from the field (that's second to his career high).

If it matters, Iverson was without Melo those first two games of the season, and he dropped 25 on the Clippers on 47% shooting (I believe). Melo came back in that third game, against the Lakers, and he shot 5-15 from the floor, while Iverson shot 3-8, I think.

So that PPG average is lower than what it should be because when Iverson went up against the Lakers, Melo decided to throw up 10 bricks, and Kobe played defense.

Just three games, anyways. It was a system he did pretty good in, and was the leading scorer for Denver the season before that. Plus, Iverson played all 82 games for Denver in 2007-08, so health is not the issue.

Detroit was just a bad place to play, especially when there was talk that some young, wreckless point guard was going to send Iverson to the bench.

18.7 PPG in three games.

In 2007-08, he averaged 26.4 PPG on 45.8% from the field (that's second to his career high).

If it matters, Iverson was without Melo those first two games of the season, and he dropped 25 on the Clippers on 47% shooting (I believe). Melo came back in that third game, against the Lakers, and he shot 5-15 from the floor, while Iverson shot 3-8, I think.

So that PPG average is lower than what it should be because when Iverson went up against the Lakers, Melo decided to throw up 10 bricks, and Kobe played defense.

Just three games, anyways. It was a system he did pretty good in, and was the leading scorer for Denver the season before that. Plus, Iverson played all 82 games for Denver in 2007-08, so health is not the issue.

Detroit was just a bad place to play, especially when there was talk that some young, wreckless point guard was going to send Iverson to the bench.

The same could happen in Memphis. Memphis has a lot of trust in MCJr as of late and I would do the same looking at the way he played at the end of last season.

And Iverson scores, we know that, but we will have 3 potential 20 PPG scorers already with Gay, Mayo, and Randolph and all three of those players want to be the first option. Conley actually passes the ball and he could average around 6 APG if he started.

I'm not sure about this. I'm scared of adding another cancerous black hole.

This goes beyond field goal percentage or ppg. This is about making the young players (OJ, Gay, and Conley) the importance of teamwork. AI is a freelancer on offense... and defense. He moves to his teammates' zones as he wishes and disrupts any system a team has. And this is what he says today according to RealGM:

“I would lead by example. I could show how important it is to work hard everyday, play the game the right way, & just like it's your last!”

I can respect his hard work (although that also begins to deteriorate now). But play the game "the right way"? "Lead by example"??? o__0 Some guys are so full of themselves they don't even realize their actions are affecting people it amazes me.

Off the court, it's AI who likes to party and when he was in Denver he is the hardest party guy and teammates like J.R. and even Melo had too much respect for him to decline his invitation every time. And then the next thing you know, they play like sober zombies in their next game. I didn't know about this when he was in Denver, I thought he was committed to being a winner. There's also an article shortly after Curry was fired that Curry complained about the team playing poorly on Sundays, that's because what they did the night before and AI was said to be the guy who initiated party.

Obviously they didn't help themselves trading for Z-Bo, but adding AI would definitely not make it better.

---

I sound like an AI hater, I am, it just amazes me how he said he wants to win a championship and that's the only thing what matters to him in his professional career. But obviously his actions don't reflect that. At this stage of anyone's career, it's start to think about winning the championship. And amazingly this guy is able to now sort of publicly say he prefers being a top gun than a winner. What a loser.

Edited by Snake

• Owner

Iverson was the main reason for the Nuggets creeping into the playoffs in 2008, so I'm not sure where you're going with that. They improved by what...four wins? Because of the Birdman and Nene being healthy? I seriously doubt it had anything to do with the Billups and Iverson deal, especially looking at the production from the two guards and how badly the Nuggets needed another scorer in the playoffs (and before them).

Yeah I wouldn't deny he was the main reason especially when Melo was suspended he kept us in it, although we lost like the first 6 of 8 games when he came to Denver. But after winning the first game of playoffs with AI against Spurs, we got our [expletive] handed down 8 in a row, (4 by Spurs and 4 by Lakers).

I'm not blaming what he did to us, because even before AI, our team was already a streetball team. But he only made it worse.

I understand AI can only be himself, but while he can't change his game, his attitude has got to change. I began to lose respect for him not for what he did to us but what he did in Detroit saying he can't be a backup and he'd rather retire. It just shows his true colors he's not about winning. He's about winning when he's the leading scorer... but he can't taste winning when he's lesser than the top dog... it turns my stomach seeing a player as selfish as he is. Not even the 19-20 year old Kobe was this selfish. And when you consider the old man is 34 now, this is an attitude for a player aged in their 20s... not only is he selfish, he's acting like he's 21-23 years old. I'm sure mature young guys like Brandon Roy are shaking their heads.

He is a superstar and without question a Hall of Famer, but name me a HOF at this stage of their career would prefer going to a [expletive] team as long as he remains the top player... than going to a contending team, taking less money for a real opportunity to win a championship. He wants to go to Memphis because "he can teach the young players to play the right way"? Wow o____0 way to mask your true intentions, although the world already knows it.

He should consider going to China and be on China's every street billboard and average 40ppg, I'm sure he still can.

---

And for that matter, I don't think you'd be fond of AI coming to the Lakers (even for a veteran minimum) with the mentality of "I am not coming off the bench". Now picture yourself a Grizzlies fan who hopes OJ Mayo can someday carry the franchise.

And you gotta be joking to discredit Billups. He changed the whole culture of the team, to defensive mentality. He kept Karl going who publicly admitted he was confused and going to either get fired or quit (just days before 2008-09 season, before Billups acquisition). He made every possession count, and became a leader for us, something neither Karl, Melo or AI proved to be able to be.

Edited by Snake

Iverson, 34, indicated Thursday on his Twitter account that he is close to accepting the Grizzlies' latest offer.

Iverson wrote that "Memphis is a place that I would love to play. The Grizzlies have good young players with a great upside. I love the city of Memphis too.

http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/2009/aug/27/allen-iverson-says-hed-love-play-memphis-grizzlies/