Perfect Games and No-Hitters Being Broken

Teletopez

I've talked about this a couple times before, and at least one of these trends usually occurs when a no-hitter or perfect game is broken. It's happened time and time again.

1) It's broken to lead off an inning.

2) It's broken with a home run.

3) The pitcher is shaky after the no hitter or perfect game is broken.

Today, AJ Burnett's perfect game was broken by a walk, and two batters later, he had given up 3 runs (trend 3). The no hitter was broken by a 3-run HR from Ian Kinsler (trend 1).

I've noticed these trends because of the number of potential no hitters and perfect games the Yanks have had going. Wang had two perfect games broken up by home runs, one against Seattle and one in Boston. Burnett had a bumpy outing after giving up his first hit, hit by the innings first batter, against Tampa Bay in April. Then at Citi Field, his no-hitter was broken by Cora to start the inning. Sabathia had a no-hitter going at Citi, and a Sheffield homer broke it to start the inning.

If you look at Buerhle's no hitter, it would have been broken by a HR had the OF not made the leaping catch.

There have been several other instances, but I can't remember exactly what happened.

But if there's ever a no-no bid going, you can come back to this thread.

Edited by Waldo

I've noticed this too haha, seems like everyone gives up a leadoff home run in the 6th inning or something with a no-no going. Lincecum has had 3 or 4 no hitters go into the 5th inning or beyond this year (I'm pretty sure), and I swear each time it's been a leadoff hit, if not a HR then the next batter hits one it seems like.