Cowboys can keep scoreboard level; errant punts must be replayed

Cobb

Source: USA Today

Here is Goodell's ruling about how the NFL will adjust its playing to compensate for the possibility of a punt hitting the video board:

If a ball in play strikes a video board, guide wire, sky cam, or any other object, the ball will be dead immediately, and the down will be replayed at the previous spot.

If there is not an on-field ruling that the ball struck an object, the Replay Assistant is empowered to initiate a booth review, including if the event occurs prior to the two-minute warning. If, prior to the two-minute warning, no booth review is initiated by the Replay Assistant, a coach's challenge is permitted under the customary procedures for such a challenge.

In the event the down is replayed:

A] The game clock will be reset to the time remaining when the snap occurred.

B] All penalties will be disregarded, except for personal fouls which will be administered prior to replaying the down.

Rule 3, Section 1 of the Official NFL Playing Rules provides for an official ruling to be implemented "in the interim between the annual rules meeting" that is "official only during the current season." This Official Ruling expires at the conclusion of the 2009 postseason.

I'm surprised that it's not going to be moved. I assume they'll do something about it after the season is over then.

Edited by Papi Chulo Cobb

i cant wait till the coyboys are in the 4th quarter of a big game and they have to punt. they get the punt off, but it hits the scoreboard. they have to repunt and the punt gets blocked. they lose the game because of it

i cant wait till what jerry jones says when that happens

i cant wait till the coyboys are in the 4th quarter of a big game and they have to punt. they get the punt off, but it hits the scoreboard. they have to repunt and the punt gets blocked. they lose the game because of it

i cant wait till what jerry jones says when that happens

lol Matt Mcbriar doesn't hit it he punnts more a line