Charles Barkley vs Karl Malone

Revis Island

Charles Barkley vs Karl Malone  

16 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Before anybody rips on Barkley's defense, Let me get this straight with you guys....

The reality is he could play defense when he was inspired enough to do so and motivated enough. Obviously, Barkley did not have the best attitude and the best plan to stay in shape, but as far as abilities goes, he could play defense. If you see Kobe Bryant today or Tracy McGrady a couple of years ago, their defense was exactly like Barkley's, somebody who could play defense whenever they felt like, but most of the time they were just lazy and had too many responsibilities to do.

• Owner

Simple question, Who was better? I'll Rep Sir Charles in this thread, since I doubt anybody knows a lick about him here anyways.

I'm going to tell you right off the bat, you need to stop acting like you're Bill Walton. You don't know everything. I know you have personal agendas here with a few members, but you won't resort to talking to everyone in that manner.

You doubt anyone knows a lick about Barkley? He was my favorite player before Kobe came along, and I watched him in Philly, Phoenix, and Houston...more than you did, I can assure you of that. You aren't 30 years old.

Karl Malone was the better overall player. He was the better defensive player, easily, and he had better post moves, better leader, better attitude, and he was an all-around better scorer at the four.

All Barkley had on Malone was his rebounding and passing (especially in his days as a Sixer), but Malone was also a pretty good passer, so the gap wasn't too wide in that area.

It also wasn't good that Barkley ended his career early -- right where he started, in fact, in Philly -- while Karl Malone was one of the most durable players of all-time.

If it wasn't for Jordan, Barkley would've had him a ring. Malone would've had two, including another MVP award to add to the two he already won.

As far as whispering Barkley in the same breath as Kobe in defensive abilities go, that's insane. Kobe is one of the better defensive players at the two-guard position. Barkley didn't touch that as a power forward, and McGrady doesn't even belong in that discussion, either, ever.

• Owner

He might have benefited from playing with Stockton but his individual abilities shouldn't be ignored.

Well, people will talk about John Stockton, but they forget what Kevin Johnson did. KJ was putting up Steve Nash numbers, and seeing that Nash won two MVP's for those, you'd think Johnson would've gotten some recognition as well.

Actually Real Deal, I'm going to stop you here....

Karl Malone was the better overall player. He was the better defensive player, easily, and he had better post moves, better leader, better attitude, and he was an all-around better scorer at the four.

Barkley was the better scorer.....especially at the end of the games. Barkley was a closer, Malone? Not even close. Both were choke artists, but Malone was a much bigger choker than Barkley was and was incredibly unreliable in the last minutes, that's why Barkley IMO was a better scorer, same reason why Kobe is a better scorer than LeBron.

• Owner

Barkley was the better scorer.....especially at the end of the games. Barkley was a closer, Malone? Not even close. Both were choke artists, but Malone was a much bigger choker than Barkley was and was incredibly unreliable in the last minutes, that's why Barkley IMO was a better scorer, same reason why Kobe is a better scorer than LeBron.

Kobe is a better scorer than LeBron because he has more moves in his arsenal at the offensive end. Malone is the better scorer than Barkley because stats prove so.

When you average 31 PPG on 56% from the floor, including four consecutive seasons of 28+ PPG on over 50% shooting, you're an excellent scorer.

Barkley shot a high percentage, but after his MVP season (in 1993, at 29 years old), I think Charles only hit 50% just once more, and never averaged 24 points or more in the remaining seven seasons of his career. Don't even think he topped 28 in his career, either.

Not to mention the fact that Barkley had around 24,000 career points, while Malone should be second on the all-time list with 37,000. You knock off 5,000 points or so for the extra three seasons he played, and he still tops Sir Charles by almost 8,000 points.

As far as Karl Malone's production in the fourth quarter, I don't see where you get that he didn't contribute enough. He was a pretty good fourth-quarter player, especially in the early and mid-90's. In fact, he was good enough to draw a lot of attention near the rim, enough to get a great deal of illegal defenses called against the opposing team (back when it was illegal to double) and had a knack for getting to the foul line as well.

It's one reason why the Jazz trusted him against the Bulls in the Finals, both years, and why Jordan immediately came over to swat the ball out of Karl's hands, bring it down the court and hit the game-winner for that sixth ring. If Jordan didn't sneak up on him, Rodman was going to give up a basket, since Malone had already dropped 31 on Dennis on 58% from the floor.

And just so you know, Malone also added 11 rebounds in that game (game-high among both teams) and seven assists (also a game-high). Rodman picked up five fouls just trying to contain him.

Malone was an excellent, excellent player, and better than Charles, who is the third best power forward in the history of the game, in my opinion (next to Duncan and Malone).