According to Legler and Rose, Dwight was a better rebounder and defender than Shaq

Revis Island

what a bunch of [expletive]ing [expletive] clowns. I am not surprised by either one of them saying it, since Tim Legler is the biggest Dwight Howard dick sucker ever, but this is a joke.

Ummmmm, Dwight's the best rebounder since Rodman and Shaq was never a great defender. How is this a joke?

Ummmmm, Dwight's the best rebounder since Rodman and Shaq was never a great defender. How is this a joke?

Hm.....Sorry, but Dwight is not a better rebounder than Shaq, he might be a better defender but Shaq is easily the better shot blocker.

I honestly swear Shaq is the most underrated rebounder of all-time, Yeah he didn't win any rebounding titles? But see who Shaq had to compete with for that title and see who Dwight is currently competing with? David Lee? Troy Murphy?

Shaq had to compete against Ben Wallace, Hakeem, Admiral, Ewing, Kevin Garnett, etc..... The quality of big men that Shaq had to compete against isn't even close to the type Dwight had to compete against.

Hm.....Sorry, but Dwight is not a better rebounder than Shaq, he might be a better defender but Shaq is easily the better shot blocker.

I honestly swear Shaq is the most underrated rebounder of all-time, Yeah he didn't win any rebounding titles? But see who Shaq had to compete with for that title and see who Dwight is currently competing with? David Lee? Troy Murphy?

Shaq had to compete against Ben Wallace, Hakeem, Admiral, Ewing, Kevin Garnett, etc..... The quality of big men that Shaq had to compete against isn't even close to the type Dwight had to compete against.

+1, perfect.

Have you ever heard of the concept of number-space rebounding? A one-space rebounder is someone who will only get rebounds that fall into his immediate area. Hence, that one space. Two-space rebounders are rebounders that can grab rebounds in positions where they start off, plus the space that would be occupied by another player standing next to him. The scale adjusts up to five spaces, as a player who can secure rebounds at spaces five player-spaces away from him are elite rebounders.

Knowledgeable basketball analysts (Jeff Van Gundy, Charley Rosen) proclaim that Rodman was a five-space rebounder and the best rebounder of all-time, at least since Wilt and Russell. Dwight Howard is regarded as a four-space rebounder as he can get to balls few others can, plus is so massive that he won't miss rebounds in his area.

Shaq, in his prime, was a two-space rebounder who got the majority of his boards simply be being big and strong. There's nothing wrong with that, but Shaq had, and has limited rebounding range while Howard's range is off the charts.

Calling Shaq a better rebounder than Howard is just flat-out wrong.

• Like 3

Have you ever heard of the concept of number-space rebounding? A one-space rebounder is someone who will only get rebounds that fall into his immediate area. Hence, that one space. Two-space rebounders are rebounders that can grab rebounds in positions where they start off, plus the space that would be occupied by another player standing next to him. The scale adjusts up to five spaces, as a player who can secure rebounds at spaces five player-spaces away from him are elite rebounders.

Knowledgeable basketball analysts (Jeff Van Gundy, Charley Rosen) proclaim that Rodman was a five-space rebounder and the best rebounder of all-time, at least since Wilt and Russell. Dwight Howard is regarded as a four-space rebounder as he can get to balls few others can, plus is so massive that he won't miss rebounds in his area.

Shaq, in his prime, was a two-space rebounder who got the majority of his boards simply be being big and strong. There's nothing wrong with that, but Shaq had, and has limited rebounding range while Howard's range is off the charts.

Calling Shaq a better rebounder than Howard is just flat-out wrong.

Give Shaq 4 perimeter 3 point shooters on his team, and let's see how many rebounds per game Shaq would average. Let Shaq play in an ERA where the 2nd best rebounder in the league is Troy Murphy and along with that let's take away all the responsibility Shaq had as an offensive player in the league when he was playing and let him have Dwight's role.

You tell me how many RPG Shaq would have, I'd be shocked if it wasn't in the upper 20s.

Give Shaq 4 perimeter 3 point shooters on his team, and let's see how many rebounds per game Shaq would average. Let Shaq play in an ERA where the 2nd best rebounder in the league is Troy Murphy and along with that let's take away all the responsibility Shaq had as an offensive player in the league when he was playing and let him have Dwight's role.

You tell me how many RPG Shaq would have, I'd be shocked if it wasn't in the upper 20s.

It's not a question about the numbers, it's how many loose balls can Howard get to as opposed to Shaq. Howard can get to balls that Shaq can't. Would Howard lose numbers if he played with a rebounding power forward sure? That wouldn't take away from his ability to flat-out rebound.

How many rebounds would Shaq in his prime have in Orlando's system? About a half-rebound more than he averaged in his prime. He's still not close to being a better pure rebounder than Howard.

It's not a question about the numbers, it's how many loose balls can Howard get to as opposed to Shaq. Howard can get to balls that Shaq can't. Would Howard lose numbers if he played with a rebounding power forward sure? That wouldn't take away from his ability to flat-out rebound.

How many rebounds would Shaq in his prime have in Orlando's system? About a half-rebound more than he averaged in his prime. He's still not close to being a better pure rebounder than Howard.

I respectfully disagree with your opinion, but I see your point, just don't agree with it. Whether it's the numbers or not, Dwight Howard in today's league was just like Shaq in the 90s, Nobody uses their athleticism and size more than Dwight does in today's league, I really don't think he would average this much in the 90s or even close to the amount in the 90s. Honestly, If you ask me Shaq could rebound more than Dwight could if he was given the same responsibility as Dwight is currently given by the Magic organization.

What's your take on defense then?

I respectfully disagree with your opinion, but I see your point, just don't agree with it. Whether it's the numbers or not, Dwight Howard in today's league was just like Shaq in the 90s, Nobody uses their athleticism and size more than Dwight does in today's league, I really don't think he would average this much in the 90s or even close to the amount in the 90s. Honestly, If you ask me Shaq could rebound more than Dwight could if he was given the same responsibility as Dwight is currently given by the Magic organization.

But again, you're bringing it back to numbers. It's not about how much you average or what responsibility you have. That only shows your ability to an extent, but if you have ratings like Erick's number-space rebounding, you don't have to refer back to misleading averages and what could have been if you had such and such role.

But again, you're bringing it back to numbers. It's not about how much you average or what responsibility you have. That only shows your ability to an extent, but if you have ratings like Erick's number-space rebounding, you don't have to refer back to misleading averages and what could have been if you had such and such role.

The only thing I'll tell you is this, If Shaq wanted to rebound and play defense he would be on another planet than Dwight Howard.

• Owner

Howard is the better rebounder, defender and shot-blocker. It's not even up for debate.

But Shaq was better at everything else, and about five times better than Dwight on offense.

I watched Shaq since 1992. He has never defended the pick and roll well, always late getting to the rim to contest guard penetrations, and couldn't hold anyone one-on-one (and you saw this many times, especially with guys like Hakeem and Alonzo).

Dwight is twice the defender Shaq was. Shaq is five times the offensive player Dwight is. It's really that simple.

• Owner

The only thing I'll tell you is this, If Shaq wanted to rebound and play defense he would be on another planet than Dwight Howard.

He should've wanted to in the Finals, then, when Hakeem had his way with him.

Are you telling me that Shaq didn't want to win a championship? :lol:

He is a decent defender. Howard is an exceptional defender. Shaq is a dominant offensive player, and Howard has no post moves and lacks a hook or the ability to pass the ball like O'Neal.

So you're saying he would have shown more ability or just put up better numbers? If it's the latter, we're not talking about who's the better rebounder and defender.

Edited by Waldo

He should've wanted to in the Finals, then, when Hakeem had his way with him.

Are you telling me that Shaq didn't want to win a championship? :lol:

He is a decent defender. Howard is an exceptional defender. Shaq is a dominant offensive player, and Howard has no post moves and lacks a hook or the ability to pass the ball like O'Neal.

Not really.....I mean wouldn't Kobe lock down Turkoglu on defense if he really wanted it? Just wasn't so much of his job. I love how people constantly make excuses where Kobe Bryant can be the best defender in the league when he feels like, but when people defend Shaq for being a good defender when he wants to be, that's not allowed for some reason? :huh: Not hating on Kobe, because you like him, but if you understand my point. You shouldn't punish another player for having very good capabilities but doesn't use them because of too much responsibility.

Shaq and Dwight averaged the same amount of RPG in their tenures with Orlando thus far. They both averaged 12.5. However having Rashard Lewis playing the 4 spot will leave you with a few extra rebounds. Shaq had Horace Grant playing alongside him on the frontcourt whose specialty was defense and rebounding and he nearly averaged 10 boards himself with Orlando. Much different than the perimeter oriented Rashard Lewis who averaged 5.7 RPG which I'm sure is the worst among starting powerforwards.

The Orlando team Shaq led to the Finals outrebounded their oppenent by an average of 2.97 rebounds per game while Orlando outrebounded their oppenents by an average of 1.12. Dwight's rebounding numbers are inflated because he's the only player for Orlando in the paint.

Btw I like how Jalen Rose's explanation for Dwight Howard as the better rebounder is because he led the league in RPG and Shaq never did. Dwight would be lucky to lead the league in rebounding too playing in a league that had Dennis Rodman averaging over 16 RPG every year. Not to mention in this day and age the center spot has gotten tremendously weaker. This allows Dwight to play off his man a lot of the time and get more blocks/rebounds. He wouldn't be able to roam like that playing against guys like Hakeem/Ewing/Zo/Robinson on a nightly basis.

Shaq and Dwight averaged the same amount of RPG in their tenures with Orlando thus far. They both averaged 12.5. However having Rashard Lewis playing the 4 spot will leave you with a few extra rebounds. Shaq had Horace Grant playing alongside him on the frontcourt whose specialty was defense and rebounding and he nearly averaged 10 boards himself with Orlando. Much different than the perimeter oriented Rashard Lewis who averaged 5.7 RPG which I'm sure is the worst among starting powerforwards.

The Orlando team Shaq led to the Finals outrebounded their oppenent by an average of 2.97 rebounds per game while Orlando outrebounded their oppenents by an average of 1.12. Dwight's rebounding numbers are inflated because he's the only player for Orlando in the paint.

Btw I like how Jalen Rose's explanation for Dwight Howard as the better rebounder is because he led the league in RPG and Shaq never did. Dwight would be lucky to lead the league in rebounding too playing in a league that had Dennis Rodman averaging over 16 RPG every year. Not to mention in this day and age the center spot has gotten tremendously weaker. This allows Dwight to play off his man a lot of the time and get more blocks/rebounds. He wouldn't be able to roam like that playing against guys like Hakeem/Ewing/Zo/Robinson on a nightly basis.

Well, you have to understand, Diesel, that Jalen Rose is a moron and nothing he says should be taken with any degree of credibility. I still remember a claim he made last year guaranteeing that both LeBron and Chris Bosh will be Knicks next year. Yeah, good luck with that.