Mentch's NFL Power Rankings

Mentch

NFL Power Rankings  

13 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Ok here I'm gonna put each team's record in and say why they'll have that record.

NFC East

NY Giants 10-6

They're returning from a year where they went 12-4 and had homefield advantage. They don't have Burress anymore, but look for their O-Line and running game to return to top shape this season.

Philadelphia 10-6

They have the potential to be one of the most explosive offenses in the league with the new addition of Michael Vick. However, if McNabb becomes too inconsistent, expect Vick to take over at QB this season.

Washington 9-7

The Redskins have one of the best defenses in football, and Jason Campbell is improving, but I don't see them making any huge jumps this year.

Dallas 8-8

The Cowboys have all the pressure on them, especially Tony Romo, Jason Garrett, and Wade Phillips, and I don't see them responding to it. Expect Wade Phillips to be fired at the end of the year since I don't see the Cowboys making the playoffs.

NFC North

Minnesota 12-4

The addition of Brett Favre is clearly better than Tavaris Jackson and Sage Rosenfels, and if he can control his gunslinger mentality, they have a great running game and defense to help them win lots of games.

Chicago 10-6

Luckily for the Bears, the Jay Cutler trade happened to be just the right fit for the offense, and Matt Forte will have a breakout year, along with the defense.

Green Bay 9-7

They are improving, and Aaron Rodgers will contine to perform well, but I don't see them making the playoffs just yet due to defensive issues. It will be improved, however, thanks to the addition of B.J. Raji.

Detroit 5-11

Contrary to Kevin Smith's prediction, the Lions will not make the playoffs. They will, however, win a few games and improve over last year's 0-16. The only thing that matters is how long it'll take them to win their first game.

NFC South

New Orleans 11-5

Last year, the Saints played in arguably the toughest division in football, yet they still went 8-8 and were competing for a playoff spot until the last week of the season. Expect Drew Brees to have another good year and their defense to improve.

Atlanta 9-7

Michael Turner will most likely be injured due to the infamous "370 carry rule", forcing Matt Ryan to win more games by himself, and since he is only a 2nd year quarterback, this will be challenging.

Carolina 8-8

Last year, after a disappointing playoff loss, the Panthers rewarded Jake Delhomme's 5 interception performance with a contract extension. Big mistake, yes?

Tampa Bay 7-9

Dumping their head coach and starting quarterback in hopes of establishing success doesn't pay off here.

NFC West

San Francisco 10-6

The 49ers improved a lot at the end of the year, and with Shaun Hill starting instead of the bust Alex Smith, and Mike Singletary returning for another season, they could possibly win their first title since 2002.

Arizona 8-8

An aging Kurt Warner will not perform as he did last year due to less attempts and yardage, and their defense still sucks.

Seattle 6-10

They may be better than last year, and have a good defense, but in a division where the teams usually win 5-6 games, that's not good enough.

St. Louis 3-13

They have possibly one of the worst receiving corps in the league. Plus, Stephen Jackson will probably get injured again, as he usually does.

AFC East

New England 13-3

Clearly the preseason favorite to win it all, Tom Brady is coming back for another 30+ TD season, and he'll air it out some more to Randy Moss.

Buffalo 8-8

Another season with Dick Jauron, another mediocre record, another lack of playoff appearances in over a decade. Other than adding Terrell Owens, they haven't done anything major.

Miami 6-10

Last season was a benefactor of an easy schedule, this year they won't be so lucky. Plus, everyone else has figured out their Wildcat thing. I don't see them winning in a division that has the Patriots in it.

NY Jets 5-11

They have a rookie quarterback and a new head coach, along with starting receivers that would be #4 on any other team. Do they really NEED Mark Sanchez, or could they have better used those draft picks? Probably the latter IMO.

NFC North

Pittsburgh 11-5

Another preseason favorite, expect another breakout year from Ben Roethlisberger similar to that of 2007. I expect at least 3,500 yards and 25+ TDs from him, and the defense is still top 5 material.

Baltimore 10-6

Joe Flacco won't have a breakout year or anything, but he'll be similar to last year, and the defense will keep them in games like last year. Pretty much nothing changes, right?

Cincinnati 8-8

The Bengals improved a lot at the end of last season, winning their last 3 games to avoid finishing in last place in the division. Chad Ochocinco will have another great year, and when Carson Palmer isn't injured, he can be one of the best quarterbacks in the league.

Cleveland 4-12

Another quarterback controversy, another new head coach, another 6-game span where they don't score an offensive touchdown, another failurific season.

AFC South

Tennessee 12-4

They still have the same team that made them 13-3 last year and with the Colts coming to an end of the

Indianapolis 10-6

Not exactly the same powerhouse that they've been but still playoff material. Peyton Manning is still in his prime apparently, considering that he won MVP last year, and they still have good offensive material. Screw defense lmao.

Houston 8-8

They're improving, but in a division that has the Colts and Titans at the height of the franchise, does anyone really see them making the playoffs? That's what I thought.

Jacksonville 7-9

This was one of the 4 teams that didn't have a Pro Bowler last year, but expect Maurice Jones-Drew to have a breakout year, along with possibly Fred Taylor.

AFC West

San Diego 10-6

No, the Chargers will not be as good as everyone thinks they will be. Then again, they're in the AFC West, so they'll obviously win it. I mean, who else even has a chance at it?

Oakland 9-7

The Raiders are always hard to predict since they have a lot of talent, but don't always use it. If JaMarcus Russell stays consistent, he can be very good. If not, then expect to see 5-6 wins instead.

Kansas City 6-10

Matt Cassel will be a bust in KC (sig me on that) because he doesn't have any of the offensive weapons he did in New England (Moss, Welker, Gaffney, etc.). The only reasonable weapon he has is Dwayne Bowe? Plus the Chiefs defense still sucks.

Denver 4-12

At the end of last year, the Broncos fired their only head coach during the last 15 years, brought in a first-year coach, traded away their starting quarterback, and wasted all their draft picks. Definitely a formula for success.

Edited by Mentch

I honestly just about disagree with all of them. Minnesota best record in the NFC because they got Favre? Favre probably had a better team with the Jets and couldn't make it.

Defense wins games. Favre has the leadership and poise to elevate their offense even more.

Nah, they will not go anywhere this season either.

Although he ranked 49'ers to high, they'll go 9-6.

Too bad there's 16 games. 9+6=15

Seahawks will win the NFC West, Panthers in the South, Vikings in the North, and Giants/Eagles/Redskins will beat each other up in the East. Any 2 of those could make it.

Too bad there's 16 games. 9+6=15

Seahawks will win the NFC West, Panthers in the South, Vikings in the North, and Giants/Eagles/Redskins will beat each other up in the East. Any 2 of those could make it.

K.. so why are people saying Seattle is going to win the NFC West? I will literally do a Gyula and eat a piece of paper that says Seahawks > NFC West if they win. Literally. Mark it down.

Hasselbeck was garbage in limited time last year, he'll be garbage now. No running game. Walter Jones is washed up, he'll get injured once again. The time has one of the weakest defensive lines in football, the only thing I like on that line is Mebane. The linebackers are the only bright spot. Secondary is very weak.

Housh should be a very reliable target for either Hasselbeck or Wallace. They signed Edge James to help with their running game. I like tha Seahawks chances. Especially in that division, potential to be a solid 10-6 team really...

Edge James to help with their running game? Please. The only reason he looked so good in the playoffs was because he had pretty much the entire final half of the year off because of mediocre play. He's done.

Housh is going to get shut down by every big name corner in the division. DRC, Clements, McFadden, even Bartell.

Why do you like their chances? Lack of run game? Terrible defensive line? Old man at Quarterback? They have two safeties that wouldn't even make a major college program right now. They don't deserve to be in the NFL.

Edited by iBoldin

Housh should be a very reliable target for either Hasselbeck or Wallace. They signed Edge James to help with their running game. I like tha Seahawks chances. Especially in that division, potential to be a solid 10-6 team really...

People must have forgot that our whole team was injured last year too, and whole WR core. I won't be surprised if we win 12 games.

Cardinals all hyped after that 1 division win, that's all their getting that's for sure.

People must have forgot that our whole team was injured last year too, and whole WR core. I won't be surprised if we win 12 games.

Cardinals all hyped after that 1 division win, that's all their getting that's for sure.

I don't really care about how the whole team was injured. It sucks, it was a wasted year in the fact that;

a) Some starters are too old now.

B) You didn't compete for anything. Especially in Holmgren's last year there.

But it's something you can't dwell on, because guess what, new season, but probably the same type of results. 12 wins? Are you serious? I can see right away after your first two games (The Rams, who the 'Hawks notoriously struggle with) and the 49ers (Also a tough intra-division game) they play a streak where they probably lose 5 in a row or just 1 of 5. I don't think your beating Chicago, you certainly aren't beating the Colts, the Jags perhaps, I'll guarantee right now that you'll struggle with the Cards, then you go to Dallas.

In all fairness, the best record the 'Hawks could have out of the starting gate 3-4, worst case 1-6.

You then play three road games in a row after Detroit, at Arizona, Minny and St. Louis. I don't think your beating us at home, and Minny is also going to be hell. I'll give you the Rams season split.

You end the year out with a tough game in Houston, in Green Bay and host Tennessee, who'll probably be resting starters by that time.

Tell me straight up what teams you expect to be to go 12-4, 11-5, 10-6 or even 9-7.

The way I see it, you guys split with the 49ers and Rams, perhaps the Cards, and go 5-11, maybe 6-10. Best case is 8-8. And I didn't say anything about the Cards, but I expect them to win the division again with an improved secondary, and overall defense. Won't make any promises though.

The addition of Brett Favre is clearly better than Tavaris Jackson and Sage Rosenfels, and if he can control his gunslinger mentality, they have a great running game and defense to help them win lots of games.

LOL FAIL

FARVE IS OVER N DONE WITH

If you're going to ridicule someone, at least have the decency to spell one of the NFL's all-time greats correctly.

K.. so why are people saying Seattle is going to win the NFC West? I will literally do a Gyula and eat a piece of paper that says Seahawks > NFC West if they win. Literally. Mark it down.

Hasselbeck was garbage in limited time last year, he'll be garbage now. No running game. Walter Jones is washed up, he'll get injured once again. The time has one of the weakest defensive lines in football, the only thing I like on that line is Mebane. The linebackers are the only bright spot. Secondary is very weak.

Alright, if the 49ers win it I'll eat my truck.

The Seahawks play in one of the weakest divisions in football. The offensive line is pretty good, Max Unger will prove to be one of the better centers in the league right away. Sean Locklear anchors the blind side. Sims, Wrotto, and Willis all improved last year and are not slouches. John Carlson had a great season last year, and with Housh, Burleson, and Branch, as well as rookie Deon Butler, the receiving core is much improved. Hasselbeck will actually be able to throw a pass and be confident someone will catch it. The run game isn't that of the Shaun Alexander glory days (and yes, I do mean days, they lasted about 150 days).

The D line isn't as terrible as you make it sound, Cole isn't a legitimate starter but between Mebane inside, and Redding, Kerney, and another rookie U of O stud Nick Reed, they'll put enough pressure on the QB to make teams run more. As for the weak secondary, Marcus Trufant and Ken Lucas are very weak? Josh Wilson is a good coverage corner, and Travis Fisher will surprise the people that didn't follow the Lions. Kelly Jennings adds more depth to what IMO is a pretty solid, consistent and veteran secondary. Deon Grant is one of the captains of this team, that should tell you something. He's a hard hitter and has great anticipation, which makes up for Brian Russell's stupid plays. He's the admitted weak point of this team. I'm excited to see Curry and Tatupu together, Leroy Hill just needs to consistently make tackles in the open field.

It comes down to stopping the run for us this year, and if the linebackers can step up like they're expected to I don't see why we can't beat out the Cards. No way the 49ers win the division, not with Shaun Hill, Alex Smith, or Nate Davis at QB. Singletary is a great motivator but that team just isn't built for the playoffs right now, and not having Crabtree won't help. I don't think I need to mention the Rams.